StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mohawk Trail State Forest Motorcycle Camping Weekend booked for May 8 - 11, 2020. The following two weekends were ALREADY BOOKED BY SOMEBODY ELSE!! Still, I don't think May 8 is too early. Y'all should know the details. If not, look at past years on this forum. Feel free to post up thoughts and questions here. I'll be watching!
Happy Thanksgiving all. :)
gary

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Gary,
Thanks so much for hosting this event. For those who are unaware, Mohawk Trail State Forest Motorcycle Weekend a.k.a. Plan A is a favorite among those that attend each year. The first motorcycle event of our season here in the Northeast. Great location to ride the Puppy dog trail in Vt., great friends and great campground B.S. stories. An event not to be missed. :hurray:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Wouldn’t miss it! Planning on bringing the Mrs if we can snag a cabin!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Anyone want to share a cabin with me? Cabins are priced at between $50 and $75/night per cabin, split 2-3 ways depending on the # of guests and cabin size. Now is the time to reserve.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I'm in. Maybe I'll go in on a cabin, early May can still be pretty cold at night.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Crap. I'll be in Scotland.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Scotland !!?!! You get to do all the fun stuff!

I'm out this year, I booked myself to work this weekend back in Sept. and just realized it a few days ago. I hope it goes great and good weather.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First ride out today 3/3/2020....... Yipppeeeeeeee. Kept it to the lower elevations, of course. It's still winter up there!
Ride safe all. :)
g

Reactions: Tnkrplt

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
First ride out today 3/3/2020....... Yipppeeeeeeee. Kept it to the lower elevations, of course. It's still winter up there!
Ride safe all. :)
g
Gary, Congrats! I was going to ride, but didn't have the time to get out the gear etc. Supposed to be 50 degrees this Sunday, with no rain. I will try to get out then. 8 weeks till MTSFMCW - (y)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plan for Plan A: About 2 weeks before the May 8 Plan A, I'll call Mohawk Trail State Forest to see what their status is. If they're closed MAYBE we can do a camp out here in my back yard. Those of you who've been here know it to be a nice camping spot. I'll have to clear it with Patty, though. She's kinda freaked out by this COVID19 scare as she's got some (to my mind) minimal risk factors for complications. I think a backyard camp out would be OK. If the pandemic restrictions are still in place I envision offering limited access to the house meaning toileting provisions in the guest 1/2 bath at the north end of the house. I do have a fire pit, portable stoves, outdoor water, ect. So, let's keep our fingers crossed for Mohawk.
Stay well all.
Ride safe.
gary

Reactions: om28 and Tnkrplt

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, yesterday, the President, in harmony with his brilliant pandemic team, decided to extend the "stay at home" recommendation until April 30. With MTSFMCW scheduled for May 8, I've decided, in the interest of an added buffer of safety, and a very real possibility that the recommendation will be extended beyond April 30, to cancel out the campsite reservation. Not an easy decision for me. :-( With that being said, IF the campground is open on that weekend I may just ride up and take a solo site, unreserved, to hang out in the woods and ride the area. One can not really plan anything for the next several months. Gotta take it one day at a time. Sorry guys. Do chime in with thoughts and what y'all are up to. I've been doing some day rides ( thank God for motorcycles! ), been hiking out in the woods daily with Buddydog, and dusted off the bicycle to do some cardio bicycle rides in the woods when the weather warms up just a little more.
Stay well all.
Ride safe all.
gary

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Probably a wise decision to cancel. I was booked to work a wedding on that weekend, the bride and groom are both doctors, they have postponed their wedding. Hopefully Plan B won't be affected and you can attend.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Got my first ride in a couple days ago, it was a short one as I noticed the steering head bolt backing off. I'm waiting for a socket that I had to order to come in so I can torque it down. I guess we have a snowstorm coming before I get to that project. It’s the price you pay to live in God’s country.

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Gary and all,
Just a heads up. We have all been focused on this pandemic. I went on a hike yesterday, and found two blood engorged tics on my torso- sucking the life out of me! I was able to remove them, and it was painful. A call to my pcp, and I was prescribed doxycycline. It looks like a bad year for tics. Corona or Lyme, hard to choose! Gary, If you do camp that weekend- watch out for tics!!!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Syd, glad you found it and did the right thing. Tics are bad in the spring in general, and maybe a little more so at that campground. At the last Plan A I was at, I remember Yuval telling me how he had found a tic on himself, and as he was talking I found one on myself.

I now have that weekend off now, I'm a little unsure if I'll make it, going to wait and see how the virus looks at that point.

Reactions: chirosyd

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Guys,
Agree. Ticks are a scourge unto themselves, for sure. I didn't see a problem with them at last years camp out at Mohawk until I went for a hike with my friends Marc and Riche along with their two big dogs and my little one. We happened into a large meadow and that's where we found ourselves literally knee deep in ticks! I think the dogs brought many back to the camp ground with them. They, for the diseases they carry, are a huge problem in many areas of the country. I have a very good friend who is a MD with a private practice devoted entirely to tick born diseases. His advice is to treat your "forest" clothing with permethrin. Says the ticks HATE it and will stay off you. I plan to do this when I go out spring turkey hunting later this month.
Syd did you take a course of doxy or just the one time 200mg?
Ride safe all.
gary

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Gary,
My pcp recommended a single dose. It is my understanding that according to the CDC - if the tic is not attached for 24-36 hours, then a single dose is sufficient. No symptoms or ill effects since I was bit.

As I took the time off already, I will be doing some riding that weekend regardless of the Covid 19 restraints.

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Gary,
My pcp recommended a single dose. It is my understanding that according to the CDC - if the tic is not attached for 24-36 hours, then a single dose is sufficient. No symptoms or ill effects since I was bit.

As I took the time off already, I will be doing some riding that weekend regardless of the Covid 19 restraints.
P.S. If anyone that was counting on attending Mohawk Plan A wants to meet up for some day/weekend riding - let me know! I was thinking about the Catskills, Vermont or anywhere. Does a full face helmet count as a mask?!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
P.S. If anyone that was counting on attending Mohawk Plan A wants to meet up for some day/weekend riding - let me know! I was thinking about the Catskills, Vermont or anywhere. Does a full face helmet count as a mask?!
I'm free that weekend and can hook up, depending on how things are with the shut down. I've been doing rides from my garage to my garage, no stopping to eat since no restaurants are open. Are you thinking day ride or overnighter? I wear a helmet liner which goes under my full face, and being on the bike by myself, I can't be more socially distant.

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
I'm free that weekend and can hook up, depending on how things are with the shut down. I've been doing rides from my garage to my garage, no stopping to eat since no restaurants are open. Are you thinking day ride or overnighter? I wear a helmet liner which goes under my full face, and being on the bike by myself, I can't be more socially distant.
Don, We are not too far from each other. Maybe some Vermont riding? I cannot imagine how we would be unsafe by riding. It would be easy to keep a safe distance under all circumstances that I can think of. Food can be purchased to go, and motels are still open. We should keep an eye on things as we get closer. Hey, if I cannot ride, I WILL go crazy ( certainly crazier than I already am!).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts