StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know where I got the idea that these would be a direct bolt on and no modifications would be necessary. But I clearly misled myself.

That being said for those inquiring minds, you definitely need to extend the control wiring looms to get a proper fit. Also, the front brake line bracket will need to be loosened and rotated.

I will be doing the loom extension myself with 20 gauge wire, shrink tube and electrical tape. Soldering of course. If you don't want to do it yourself and just want to unclick and click, then you can get ready made stuff from easternbeaver. Google is your friend.

Initial impressions are good though I need some more time to adjust a few things. Overall feel is much better, to me, than stock. Wider, higher and flatter. Standing up is no issue anymore and wrist fatigue has dwindled. Plus, with that nifty cross bar, I have a great place to mount a few gadgets. :hurray:

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Try loosening tie downs and making adjustments before you bother with the electrical extensions. I've been running the same bars for a number of years now, with no electrical extensions. I ended up ordering a longer brake line but 1/2 of that was because I was upgrading to braided lines.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Try loosening tie downs and making adjustments before you bother with the electrical extensions. I've been running the same bars for a number of years now, with no electrical extensions. QUOTE]

Ditto :yesnod:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Try loosening tie downs and making adjustments before you bother with the electrical extensions. I've been running the same bars for a number of years now, with no electrical extensions. I ended up ordering a longer brake line but 1/2 of that was because I was upgrading to braided lines.
Bizarre. My left hand controls work fine as far as length. But my right hand side controls are SUPER tight when the bars are pulled to the left. That is even with moving the switch towards the center of the bend on the right hand side of the bar.

My bike is a K3 though, do you think that might be part of the issue? Shorter looms?

·
Registered
414 Posts
If others run into this problem, try the msr low bars and genmar up and back risers and you end up with bars slightly higher and futher back than stock without the awkward bend and no problem with controls.

·
Registered
503 Posts
My bike is a K3 three though said:
Should work, a friend of mine has a 03' with the same bars, you might try relocating the throttle control cables to the lower side of the bar this give more clearance, just be sure they don't hit turning lock to lock. as for the hold down clamps, I've removed the harness from them and used zip ties strategically placed to give some clearance for my Pro Taper atv high bars. either are a good upgrade, especially if you ride standing on the pegs at times.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I have a DL 1000 2004 and have no problem with the bars,, Now my cables may be a little tight, but thats OK,, had them on for 5 years
Mike

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I must have something really wrong with my harness then. I have the wires undone from the spiral things and unziptied down on the lower portion of the forks. Hardly any room at all.

I will shoot some pictures this weekend and post them up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts