41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
What a ride!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
One day, I will ride down to Baja. In the meantime, I subsist on ride reports like yours, and those found over on ADV rider. So, thanks for the updates! :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Captain's Log. Stardate 39. Mexico and Central America with Ms. Wee. 2 1/2 month sojurn on my 2018 DL650.

Another great day in Mérida. Met the family of a woman I've been skyping with for a year to practice English for her and Spanish for me. They took me out to breakfast to a ritzy hotel, to include a surprise birthday cake. I know I was probably mixing up my articles, prepositions, and pronouns
:-O, but we were able to communicate.

Very educated people. Maggie has a master's in biochemical engineering, and her sister got her masters in psychology in Scotland, and her father was an electrical engineer.

Off tomorrow for a 2-3 day grind on the autopista (like our interstates, 2-4 lane) to Morelia. 1,002 miles, where I'll go back to my old school for another three weeks of Spanish classes, to include a week living with a Mexican family there. It's called a homestay. Talk about total immersion, yikes!

Thank God for trusty Señorita Suzuki. She hasn't failed me yet. Go Ms. Wee!!!!!

And yup, that birthday cake represents Medicare in three days!! Oh joy. Now on "gummint" health care.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Captain’s Log. Stardate 43.

Long 2 1/2 day grind down the Mexican autopista (kinda sorta like our interstates) from Mérida to Morelia. First day 93 deg F and humid. 2nd day same first half, then a long steep climb up into the mountains on the Arco Norte, which is the huge belt road around the east and north side. of Mexico City. Beautiful forests, volcanoes, and mountains. It finally cooled off at 9,000’.

Three nights during the run at really nice boutique style hotels in the middle of the most run down out of the way pueblos you can imagine. Bizarre. However I’m a little upset at the prices. $21 a night. LOL!

Now in Morelia with the bike parked, for three weeks of Spanish school. Two weeks in my old apartment, then the last week moving in with a Mexican family in what’s called a “homestay”. Talk about total immersion! Yikes.

Signing off for three weeks,
Adios.

Some video clips and pictures of the last three days below.
Two of them involve waving to the Army boys whenever I pass their convoys, and deciding to pass a Federale cop as I was tired of going so slow. I’m not in a Mexican prison so guess it was a good call?

·
Vendor
4,692 Posts
I prefer "stout" to heavy. You never know what lights people are going to hang on those light bars! LOL :)

Nice to see at least some of my parts get to travel. I ill probably be too old by the time I have time to do something like this.

Kudos.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I prefer "stout" to heavy. You never know what lights people are going to hang on those light bars! LOL :)

Nice to see at least some of my parts get to travel. I ill probably be too old by the time I have time to do something like this.

Kudos.
Well, it's just that I'm a bit OC about weight! LOL! I'm the kind of guy that spent about $1,000 total on an Akropovic exhaust and an Antigravity battery just to lose 15 pounds. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
However I've lost 12 pounds so far on this 2 1/2 month trip, and that didn't cost me anything. Ha!

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Captain's Log. Stardate 39. Mexico and Central America with Ms. Wee. 2 1/2 month sojurn on my 2018 DL650.

Another great day in Mérida. Met the family of a woman I've been skyping with for a year to practice English for her and Spanish for me. They took me out to breakfast to a ritzy hotel, to include a surprise birthday cake. I know I was probably mixing up my articles, prepositions, and pronouns
:-O, but we were able to communicate.

Very educated people. Maggie has a master's in biochemical engineering, and her sister got her masters in psychology in Scotland, and her father was an electrical engineer.

Off tomorrow for a 2-3 day grind on the autopista (like our interstates, 2-4 lane) to Morelia. 1,002 miles, where I'll go back to my old school for another three weeks of Spanish classes, to include a week living with a Mexican family there. It's called a homestay. Talk about total immersion, yikes!

Thank God for trusty Señorita Suzuki. She hasn't failed me yet. Go Ms. Wee!!!!!

And yup, that birthday cake represents Medicare in three days!! Oh joy. Now on "gummint" health care. View attachment 269345 View attachment 269347 View attachment 269348

View attachment 269344
You clean up pretty good!

41 - 49 of 49 Posts