StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a post of first day in Mexico. Crossed the border at Mexicali, got all my paperwork straightened out (two hours and four offices), at the Banjercito, and made it down to San Felipe. 2018 highly modified DL650XT.
Plan is to spend 12 more days in Baja, then I have reservations on the ship from La Paz to the mainland, then south to Guatemala and Belize, then back into Mexcio for another six weeks or so, then return to Seattle.
Stromtrooper Captain Morgan was nice enough to let me leave the truck I hauled Ms. Wee in down from Seattle! Kudos to the Captain.
A few pics from Day 1 north and south of the border, to include two scorpions in a bottle of whiskey.
IMG_2962.jpeg

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Can you elaborate on the Scorpions? Is that one upping wimps who have worms in their Tequila? What type of soft pannier are those? Surprised your choice in tires looks so non aggressive off road wise. Looking forward to more photos of this year's adventure. Safe travels.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: the tires. That was a conscious decision. Good question though. My original set of OEM Battlax A40s were changed at 8,000 miles, and they still had at least 1/3rd more life in them, guessing they could have gone to 12,000 maybe. As this trip might total 10,000, I decided to replace them with the same OEMs to try to avoid a tire change during the trip. As far as off-road goes, I've found that as long as I'm on normal gravel roads or hardpack, that I don't have a problem. Deep sand, mud, and deep gravel, of course, would be another issue, but I'd just avoid that if at all possible.

Re: the scorpions, well, who knows, but I ain't gonna find out. LOL!

The bags are Kriegas. I'm a fan of soft bags. I really like the modular system. Only complaint I had was I didn't like the buckles that secure the top of the main bags closed, as one flew off on my last trip. I replaced all of the buckles for the main bags with REI ones, and they are simpler to use and reliable. I carry extras just in case.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hola Armando_m! Como estas tu? Mi plan es llegar por barco de La Paz la manana de 19 de enero, y después seguir la costa a Guatemala. Vives cerca Mazatlan?
Lo siento sobre el español. Lo he estado estudiando por sobre dos años por computadora, pero todavía, es muy mal. jajajaja
____
And for us Gringos:
Hi Armando, How are you? My plan is to arrive by ship from La Paz the morning of Jan 19th, and afterwards follow the coast to Guatemala. Do you live near Mazatlan?
I'm sorry about my Spanish. I've been studying it for about two years by computer, but still, it's very bad. LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Just returned from Nayarit myself. Wish I could saddle up and head right back down with you! Not looking forward to the deep freeze about to descend upon us in the PNW...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Other than the obvious add-ons like aux LEDs, bash plate, engine guards, hand/control guards, I'd be interested in hearing more about other mods you've done for the trip. Suspension?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Other than the obvious add-ons like aux LEDs, bash plate, engine guards, hand/control guards, I'd be interested in hearing more about other mods you've done for the trip. Suspension?
Everything but, here you go:
  • Front cylinder exhaust repositioned from under engine to R side of engine to gain 2” more ground clearance
  • SW-Motech Centerstand
  • SW-Motech Skid Plate modified to attach to crash guards instead of engine for the 2” more ground clearance gained by front cylinder exhaust reposition
  • SW-Motech Height Adjustable Wide Street/Off-Road Foot Pegs
  • SW-Motech 15L Evo City Tank Bag with Map Case, Theft Prevention Pin and Quick Lock
  • SW-Motech Side Stand Switch Guard
  • SW-Motech Folding Gear Shift Lever
  • Givi PLR Side Racks
  • Nissin Front Brake Calipers from a Honda CBR600
  • Nissin Radial Master Cylinder
  • Akropovic Exhaust. 9 lbs. less weight, 5 more HP
  • K&N Air Filter
  • Kriega Outback 32L Saddlebags with OS-2 Straps
  • Kriega 12 Liter bags and Kriega 5 Liter bags attached to Kriega 32L Outbacks
  • 30,000 hour Sementech Lo Beam White LED w/internal fan
  • ADVTech GPS Dash Mount
  • ADVTech Flood Lights with handlebar mounted on/off switch
  • ADVTech Fork Brace
  • ADVTech Front Fender Risers
  • R&G Racing Rear Shock Cover
  • R&G Racing Crash Guards
  • R&G Racing Radiator Guard
  • R&G Racing Tank Pads
  • R&G Racing Filler Cap Trim
  • RotopaX One Gallon Locking Gas Container
  • ASV Adjustable Folding Clutch and Front Brake Levers
  • Barkbuster VPS hand guards
  • 16T Front Rubber Dampened Sprocket. (OEM 15T). Drops RPM by 250
  • Admore Flashing Brake, Progressive Turn and Deceleration Lighting
  • Oxford Heated Grips with settings control
  • Garmin 396LMT-S GPS- Hardwired
  • Rupse Tire Pressure Monitors. Rechargeable display
  • Kaoko Throttle Lock
  • Pyramid Front Fender Extender
  • Crampbuster
  • Headlight Protector
  • 2 Locking Tool Tubes
  • Puig Spool Sliders
  • Zeta Offset Handlebar Risers
  • ABUS Victory X Plus Disc Lock
Murph’s Tamp

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In Catavina, Baja now. Off to Bahia de Los Angeles tomorrow for two nights, then down to San Ignacio for a few days.
Thank God for Barrel gas!!! Whew, saved the day when the closest Pemex that GPS told me was there was shut down.
IMG_3021.jpeg
IMG_3021.jpeg

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Stardates 6 - 10. San Felipe to Coco's Corner, to Catavina to Bahia de Los Angeles to San Ignacio, Baja California Sur. Hanging out in the Yurt Palm Tree Forest B&B in San Ignacio for several days, then a two day drive to La Paz to take a cargo ship over to the Port of Mazatlan. I rode the ferry last year the other direction all night and swore I'd never do that again without a cabin. So this time I reserved a cabin months in advance. But now I get an email and they canceled the ferry and are putting me on an all-night cargo ship!! %$^&&^%.
Here are some pics and a couple video links of the last few days.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Captain's Log, Stardate 23. 267 miles to Juchitan de Zaragosa. Hot, humid, but with beautiful mountains in the Sierra Madre Range. Close call with a goat, and Grandma pushing a wheelbarrow across a 4-land autopista.
Settled down in a $22 hotel with a pool, bar restaurant, and killer wifi. Should be able to make the Guatemala border tomorrow then will attempt the fight with the bureacracy at the border on Saturday.
GPS crapped out yesterday, but found a loose connection to the aux fuse block and fixed it with a 31 year old swiss army knife, yay.
South south south I ride.

A short video for your viewing pleasure.
https://youtu.be/yCCDV_Sxpzk

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Might want to check the video settings, as it is marked Private. Love the $22 hotel

1 - 20 of 49 Posts