StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Same windshield as Suzuki's touring windshield but about $200 cheaper at Twisted Throttle. Looks a little "different" but I also had a V-Stream on my 1000. Mounting the base is easy, mounting the adjustable wing is a trip, but it's easy to adjust afterwards, no tools, and looks pretty good, and works really well. Cheers--BB

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Couple of questions

Hi BB, thanks for the picture of your bike with the screen. I see you also have the tall seat. Can you estimate how much higher up the air stream is shaped with this shield compared to stock ? Is this any wider then the stock shield ?

I have the tall seat and have been testing the stock shield in the top position over the weekend. I think if this could deflect the air an additional 3-4 inches over the stock shield I would be set. Based on pictures I like the look of this shield versus the givi airflow or madstad with their windshield offering.

Any comments appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually the base screen is about the same size, still playing with the angles on the top wing as you can move it out and up/down. I'm getting closer to perfect now, this thing has a lot of adjustment! Mine's mounted in the center holes, I'm 6'6" and could move it to the top holes with no see over the top problems. The tinting is nice, brackets seem to be well-made, instructions suck! And I'm being nice! I think you can buy just the wing and mount it to the stock screen, but you will have to drill 4 holes, that may be a cheaper option, I wanted a tinted screen.Cheers--BB

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just ordered the X-creen myself, just got off a long ride and the wind noise was incredible, but if I stood up from the seat just 3" or crouched down 3" the noise goes away. Guess thats what the pre 2012 DL owners were complaining about, all that buffiting noise is incredible, and my neck doesent feel so good either.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Seems a lot of Stromtroopers use the Madstad bracket, am I making a mistake getting this MRA X-creen? Can still cancel the MRA but will have to call first thing in the am.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I put the MRA on my 12 two weeks ago and like it a lot. From Madstad posts it sounds good also, but I didn't want to buy another screen which is suggested with the 12.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Seems a lot of Stromtroopers use the Madstad bracket, am I making a mistake getting this MRA X-creen? Can still cancel the MRA but will have to call first thing in the am.
Notwithstanding all of the pro-Madstad riders, it's not for everyone. When I installed it with a stock screen the buffetting was gone, but it felt like I was standing behind a jet engine there was so much wind-blast.

I was, as a few others are, also concerned that in a crash, those brackets looked like a set of blades pointing more or less at my neck and chest.

My Madstad went on to another Stromtrooper who apparently likes it.

I'll be ordering the MRA screen for my 04 shortly.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I took the stock window, used the bottom 2 holes on the bracket with the top 2 holes on the Bike, it works very well, and is completely cost free...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Notwithstanding all of the pro-Madstad riders, it's not for everyone. When I installed it with a stock screen the buffetting was gone, but it felt like I was standing behind a jet engine there was so much wind-blast.

I was, as a few others are, also concerned that in a crash, those brackets looked like a set of blades pointing more or less at my neck and chest.

My Madstad went on to another Stromtrooper who apparently likes it.

I'll be ordering the MRA screen for my 04 shortly.
The Madstad seems to be very good at what it does but the way it sticks out, and your right all that metal in front does bother me as well. Think im going to stick with the MRA X-creen, just like the way it forms to the front fairing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I took the stock window, used the bottom 2 holes on the bracket with the top 2 holes on the Bike, it works very well, and is completely cost free...
What? So you have the windshield mounted by only two holes? Can you please take a pic? Not sure that sounds very secure.

·
Registered
194 Posts
How has this mounting method held up- or has it?:confused:

What? So you have the windshield mounted by only two holes? Can you please take a pic? Not sure that sounds very secure.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Same windshield as Suzuki's touring windshield but about $200 cheaper at Twisted Throttle. Looks a little "different" but I also had a V-Stream on my 1000. Mounting the base is easy, mounting the adjustable wing is a trip, but it's easy to adjust afterwards, no tools, and looks pretty good, and works really well. Cheers--BB
Thanks for the post. I decided to order one and installed mine today. Going to have to wait for things to cool down before I take it out for a spin. It's nice at 6 am but I reserve that for the bicycle. Yeah...... lots of little parts for the wing.

The first one I ordered was scratched right out of the box. Small, minor but deep. Twisted sent me a shipping label to return the damaged screen and a 10% coupon so I used the coupon for the second screen.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hey, I wanted to clarify something I read in this thread. It sounds to me like the X-screen is the same height as the stock screen, which I measured at 16". That's the main portion of the screen. So it sounds like the extension is 4", totalling 20". I was rather hoping the main screen was 20".

Also, it looks in the photos like the screen angles back quite a bit more than the stocker. Is this true?

From my own measurements, a screen 4" taller than stock (in the highest hole) might do the ticket for me. But so far I get nasty turbulence in any setting, but the highest is the best.

Rob

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the MRA xcreen (ie the spoiler ony) combined with the suzuki stock windshield. works fine for me.
Me too. It took only 20 min to drill the windshield and install. I'm very happy with the results. I can now ride with myfaceshield up at 70. By the way I'm using the stock seat and I'm 5'8" with a 32 inseam.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I thought you could get just the spoiler, but I haven't seen it for sale anyplace recently. Twisted Throttle used to list it but not anymore.

Rob

·
Registered
115 Posts
I thought you could get just the spoiler, but I haven't seen it for sale anyplace recently. Twisted Throttle used to list it but not anymore.

Rob
Rob, I got mine from Twisted Throttle about 3 weeks ago. You can get a bolt on or a clamp on version. Give'em a call and they fix you right up I'm sure. Good people to deal with.
Phil

·
Registered
241 Posts
Haha yep there they are. I poked around for a bit and found them. But dang, at those prices I'll just get a new windshield. I'm liking that $150 Givi one that's 20" high.

Rob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Phil... drilling new holes? So then you have the old stock holes still showing? I mean, did you drill new holes.. or just use the same stock holes?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I fitted mine straight on to the black "hinges" on the adventure screen. Took 10 minutes to unscrew the old blade and put the X-creen on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts