StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 5 foot 8 and I would like to get a touring screen for my wee. Has anyone tried both sizes of the MRA VarioTouringScreen? I will be going on some long rides and I would like to be comfy. On the other hand, I don't want to be looking through the screen most of the time. I will get a Madstad adjustable mount with it.

If I get the shorter one is it a lot better than the stock windshield or just a little better. I want to eliminate buffeting. Because I am getting this mailorder I can't try it out or look at one.

Marc

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
16 inch. Definitely. The 20" only stayed on bike for one day and then I sold it. I'm 6'0", long torso, short legs. I've got at least 40k miles behind the 16" and if anything happened to it, would immediately buy another.

·
Registered
94 Posts
DL650, 6' 1"..I bought the 20" version, and it seems fine to me. I've had 3 other manufacturer/models on the V-Strom, and I like the MRA the most.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I'm 5'8' as well. I have the 16" Vario (with the 7 position adjustable lip). It works perfect for me with the screen in the lowest position and with the lip on the highest setting...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
16 inch. Definitely. The 20" only stayed on bike for one day and then I sold it. I'm 6'0", long torso, short legs. I've got at least 40k miles behind the 16" and if anything happened to it, would immediately buy another.
Thanks everyone. Looks like my best bet is the 16 inch vario with the mastad adjustable mount. What really sells me is that when I look at Tom's picture on his bike, he is four inches taller than me - he just looks over the top of the screen. A 20 woud be too tall for me. I will buy it tonight from twisted.

This forum is soooooo helpful. All the parts I have bought for my bike have been perfect because of the advice I get here. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the 16" and it's perfect. I didn't like all the black paint so I drilled holes in my Suzuki windshield and attached the airfoil to that. It looks perfect and with the Madstad mount I can move it up or down. With my height, I can adjust it so that at speed the air just goes over my head. It's perfect.

Thanks for everybody's help.:thumbup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I got the 16" and it's perfect. I didn't like all the black paint so I drilled holes in my Suzuki windshield and attached the airfoil to that. It looks perfect and with the Madstad mount I can move it up or down. With my height, I can adjust it so that at speed the air just goes over my head. It's perfect.

Thanks for everybody's help.:thumbup:
Does this mean that you're not actually using the MRA screen, just the airfoil??

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I drilled four holes in the Suzuki wind shield, and then mounted the air foil on it. The Suzuki screen has very little paint on it, so when I elevate the screen with the Madstadt mount, I don't have black paint obscurring my vision. If you leave the windscreen in the lowest position on the stock mount it wouldn't show that much. But elevated it was pretty obnoxious to me.

Last night I buffed off the paint off the MRA screen using automotive scratch remover and an abrasive cloth. I may be able to buff it to the point it is clear, at which point I will have a spare screen.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes, I drilled four holes in the Suzuki wind shield, and then mounted the air foil on it. The Suzuki screen has very little paint on it, so when I elevate the screen with the Madstadt mount, I don't have black paint obscurring my vision. If you leave the windscreen in the lowest position on the stock mount it wouldn't show that much. But elevated it was pretty obnoxious to me.

Last night I buffed off the paint off the MRA screen using automotive scratch remover and an abrasive cloth. I may be able to buff it to the point it is clear, at which point I will have a spare screen.
Cool! My only reservation about the MRA screen was the black paint; I like that the airfoil means that you have a fairly compact screen - I'm just under 5'10" so I'm guessing that I can get away with the 16" model?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think so. With the screen all the way down the buffeting is greatly reduced. With it all the way up I am in dead air completely. I can put my hand up and feel the air above my helmet. In your case you will probably have the screen an inch above where I keep it. It really is a major improvement over the buffeting without the screen. I noted that others said the 16 inch screen is the best, which doesn' t matter since I am using the Suzuki screen anyway.

Careful drilling the holes. You will have to buy a special screwdriver from a place like Home Depot (cost $5) for the foil screws.

I will let you know if my paint removal experiment works on the MRA screen. They really should sell a paintless version.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think so. With the screen all the way down the buffeting is greatly reduced. With it all the way up I am in dead air completely. I can put my hand up and feel the air above my helmet. In your case you will probably have the screen an inch above where I keep it. It really is a major improvement over the buffeting without the screen. I noted that others said the 16 inch screen is the best, which doesn' t matter since I am using the Suzuki screen anyway.

Careful drilling the holes. You will have to buy a special screwdriver from a place like Home Depot (cost $5) for the foil screws.

I will let you know if my paint removal experiment works on the MRA screen. They really should sell a paintless version.
Thanks very much for the information! I've almost got my Wee road-trip ready and the screen is the next-to-last item on the list!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts