StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Last weekend I went on a 300 mile trip, with bike loaded with camping gear for one night and some clotes.
I had my panniers and top box.
Average speed 90 miles per hour ( per my speedo, per my GPS-82), MPG was 35????????
I am coming from 1300cc cruiser and never got anything under 48 mpg.
My Wee has 6k miles on it.
Is this mpg normal?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm a little disappointed with the mpg also. I've been doing my touring on an old Kaw ZG1000 and fully loaded to the gills and cruising a good 80+ mph I always got over 40mpg. Earlier this week I did a 250 mile round trip on the turnpike with my 13 Glee, doing mostly about an estimated true 80mph, and I got 41 mpg, and that was without panniers but with a small JCW top box. It's still a lot nicer to my no-cartilage right knee.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Recent trip two up saw fuel consumption range from just over 40mpg to over 65 mpg in UK terms. Both figures were two up with Touratech panniers and top box. 40mpg was cruising at an actual 80mph into a headwind, so wasn't too surprised, 65mpg was in the Alpes de Haute Provence doing some of the cols.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Evidently the MPG's really drop when you go from the 70 MPH range to the 80+ range. I don't ride the big roads often, but the couple times I have, I got better than 50mpg. Although that was riding solo with next to no payload.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Average speed 90 miles per hour ( per my speedo, per my GPS-82), MPG was 35????????
Is this mpg normal?

What's not normal...running at 90 miles per hour with a fully loaded bike.
Save it for the track.

·
Administrator
13,731 Posts
What's not normal...running at 90 miles per hour with a fully loaded bike.
Save it for the track.
Why would you want to take a fully loaded bike to the track? Seems kind of silly to me.

..Tom

·
Registered
824 Posts
the 35 mpg was from the read out on the bike or did you actually do a fill up and calculate?
how long, time or miles, did you "average" 90 mph?

·
Registered
173 Posts
2013 DL650 Adv with factory cases & top case. I recently did a 1200 km or about750 mile trip, solo, bags where full, but not heavily loaded.

Speed was from about 20 mph to 80 mph in the twisites, passing, mountains, side winds ( no real strong headwinds ), flat terrain and so on. The bike averaged 65 mpg for the trip. It varied from a low of 61 and a high of 68.

Even when I've ridden with a passenger it gets in the low 60's.

I'm a fairly conservative rider, don't do jack rabbit starts or race the bike. I've no doubt the more time one spends at a higher speed, then the mileage will go down. With bags etc these bikes are not exactly streamlined.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
35 was the reading, my calculation came at 36. It was 150 miles non stop ride with 90 mph average.
The bike was not fully loaded, yes I had my panniers and the top box, but my camp gear-one man tent, 2 sleeping bags and sleeping pad+extra t-shirt, jeans and thermo underwear are not more than 20 pounds.
Now I am thinking that I had camp chair across the passenger seat, it is long, maybe added some extra resistance.
The main reason I opened this thread was the huge MPG difference.
City I have average of 50-55 mpg with average speed 50-55 mph, highway mpg is 45-48 with speed up to 70 mph, and with speed over 80 mpg gets ridicules.
Just 2 months ago I went in SD for a week with my 1300 VTX, MPG was always around 50-city and highway, speed between 70 and 90. Only one day dropped to 48 on Rt20 somewhere in Nebraska with average 85 mph and really strong wind. The bike was fully loaded for 3000 miles camp trip.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Mileage on the Wee can vary a lot depending on speed, load, and wind. A good head wind can really knock your mileage down significantly. The best mileage on wee is cruising along back roads at 45-55mph. You can easily be in the high 50's and maybe even into the 60's depending on how you ride.

Start running 70-80+ down the interstate with bags on, and it drops quickly. Low 40's is avg for me in interstate runs, but I've been down in the 30's before too.

That's where the liter bikes tend to do better. Their spread is often less. They usually don't do as bad on high speed runs, but don't do as well on easy cruising either.

·
Registered
824 Posts
35 was the reading, my calculation came at 36. It was 150 miles non stop ride with 90 mph average.
The bike was not fully loaded, yes I had my panniers and the top box, but my camp gear-one man tent, 2 sleeping bags and sleeping pad+extra t-shirt, jeans and thermo underwear are not more than 20 pounds.
Now I am thinking that I had camp chair across the passenger seat, it is long, maybe added some extra resistance.
The main reason I opened this thread was the huge MPG difference.
City I have average of 50-55 mpg with average speed 50-55 mph, highway mpg is 45-48 with speed up to 70 mph, and with speed over 80 mpg gets ridicules.
Just 2 months ago I went in SD for a week with my 1300 VTX, MPG was always around 50-city and highway, speed between 70 and 90. Only one day dropped to 48 on Rt20 somewhere in Nebraska with average 85 mph and really strong wind. The bike was fully loaded for 3000 miles camp trip.

I'm impressed-150 miles non-stop averaging 90 would be hard to do in a car, much less a loaded down bike. and 85 avg on a VTX is impressive too

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mileage on the Wee can vary a lot depending on speed, load, and wind. A good head wind can really knock your mileage down significantly. The best mileage on wee is cruising along back roads at 45-55mph. You can easily be in the high 50's and maybe even into the 60's depending on how you ride.

Start running 70-80+ down the interstate with bags on, and it drops quickly. Low 40's is avg for me in interstate runs, but I've been down in the 30's before too.

That's where the liter bikes tend to do better. Their spread is often less. They usually don't do as bad on high speed runs, but don't do as well on easy cruising either.
I have an '04, but I had occasion to test this out this summer while I was riding cross-country. Nothing on the bike changed overnight between the two days:

Day 1: Back roads of the Front Range in Colorado, 45-60mph all day, altitude ranging from 6500-9500'. Topcase only. 60 mpg(!)
Day 2: Denver-Omaha on I-76/80. Posted limit 75, I was running about 80 (GPS). Topcase and side cases. High 44mpg leaving Denver, low 37mpg on a windy stretch east of North Platte.

The worst I've seen was 32 riding 70+ with a headwind on 101 from Santa Barbara to NorCal. Temps were in the 40s and I almost ran out of gas because I didn't trust the fuel gauge.

Not an issue for you lucky guys with '12-up bikes, but oil consumption tracks fuel pretty closely...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hi all.
Last weekend I went on a 300 mile trip, with bike loaded with camping gear for one night and some clotes.
I had my panniers and top box.
Is this mpg normal?
You're "averaging" 82 mph and your wondering why your gas mileage dropped?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts