StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
It has been my experience that FI cages get less mileage in colder weather. Really can't comment on the bike.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Well I went on a ride that included I91 yesterday and ended up trying to keep ahead of a guy in an Impala. I did 105 actual (GPS) for about 20 miles or so. The rest of this partial tankful included some very spirited riding and ended riding at normal speeds.

MPG for this partial tankful was:

Rode 145.3 Mi.
Drank 3.936 Gal.
That's 36.915 MPG

That's my lowest yet. I'll have to do a docile day and see what my highest MPG will be.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Update:

Went another 188 mi. with most of it being somewhat spirited riding, but no high speed superslab work. I got 45.68 MPG

I am currently on a new tank of gas and I am taking it really easy to see what I get for MPG. I am cruising around at 4200-4500 rpm and will report my mileage when I fill up again.

So far:

Low= 36.915 mpg
Medium= 45.68 mpg
High= ? we'll see

·
Registered
567 Posts
"For V-strom enthuisiasts worldwide"

If this is to be truly a worldwide forum don't forget us in those countries where we only know the Decimal system. I see our friend in Hungary converted his figures for those who only understand MPG, it would have been great had also displayed the metric figures (L/100km or KM/L.)

I'll step down off my soapbox now:mrgreen:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wat he said. I'm always converting my metric stuff to imperial and US for the international amongst us. This is one of the very best free conversion calculators available http://www.pawprint.net/vv/ It's very small, does not use Windows registry and has regular free database upgrades.

Just a hint for a little etiquete and better international relations.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
If I didn't own a Metric, Imperial and U.S. conversion calculator I would have slashed my wrists years ago.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah its a pain the arse having the world on different measurements. I know the French invented metric but it aint that bad a system and its hard to stuff up something based on 10. Shit my 10 times table was one of the only ones I always got right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
mpg

I have a new 07 and on my first tamk, keeping rpm under 5k i got 60mpg. My second tank 56 mpg. It just now had 500 miles ,thanks to to the mild weather we have had here in Tn.

jim h
'07 DL 650
Mcminnville Tn

M

·
0 Posts
This metric system's just a fad. Who needs decimals when the real action is in fractions! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Milage

My weight dressed for rideing is 170 lb.
Still have orginal tires, w/ plenty of miles to go.
4500 miles.
Primary sproket is 16 tooth, seconday 47 tooth.
Tire pressure is 34 psi FT,41 psi RR
Fuel is 87 oct. but trying to find the heavy leaded stuff.
The 06 650 is rather heavy w/centerstand,
crash bars,
pair of pelicans W/ rack
carring tools, rain suits, dark chocolate 1/4 lb.,
bottled water, chain lube, & stuff
steel skid plate, w/ oil coole grill, radiator grill
hand guards
trunk plate
heavey duty motor oil
Best mpg riding over 380 miles, 2 up was 57+.
Best mpg riding over 260 miles, solo was 62+.
Worst milage was solo, w/ hot acceleration & track speeds yeild 32 mpg.
Average day in trafic & w/ equal hwy distance is 53 to 55 mpg.
Std wind plastic at full height, but soon to be replaced.
Have found rpm over 5500 really suck up the fuel.
I try to shift around 4500, unless I am 2 up.
I can feel the lose of a little [very little] torque due to the 16 tooth, but only when a second person is riding w/ me & during the on ramps.
I do a milage check on every refueling & try to get down to the last bar.
As yet I haven't tried to squeezzzzzz out the best I can get.
About half of my driving is w/ wife, so I tend to carry over that conservative style of riding when solo. No, I don't hold up traffic.
This bike is just a pure pleasure to drive any way.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Full tank?

Does anyone know the real capacity of the 650's tank?
And does the fuel pump suck the tank dry or is there still some splashing about?
Thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
It's 22 liters minus the little air space required because the fill tube goes below the surface. Do not even consider running the tank close to dry. You will fry your fuel pump bearings and fuel pumps are very expensive.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Fuel tank volume is 22 litres and as greywolf states there is a gap, which is also there for fuel expansion, so actual usuable fuel from everything I've read is around 21.5 litres.

I calculate all fuel stops on 21 litres of fuel, which gives me an averaged range of just under 410k, so I take 400k as the max distance for normal riding, weather and no head winds.

·
Registered
155 Posts
No, in fact our government sides with the oil companies on most things, including when they blatantly fuel gouge, which is every holiday period.

Though not as cheap as the US, we have amongst the cheapest petrol in the OECD though. Out prices are supposedly pegged to the Singapore moving weekly average, but they are very slow (up to a week) to put prices down when the moving average goes down, but put up petrol prices within hours of the moving average going up.

Our State governments charge cheap registration fees for motorbikes though. Can be 66% cheaper than car rego. This year my 2.8 litre turbo diesel Isuzu truck was A$320 and my DL was just under A$90. Compulsary 3rd party insurance (CTP) is about the same for cars and bikes.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Here is a (geeky) chart showing my mileage since I bought the bike a few months ago. Overall I'm averaging about 53mpg (US). About 80% of the miles have been fully loaded touring, side cases, top case, and me. I have the stock screen and stock gearing.

Wide temperature and elevation extremes. And I think some of the tall peaks and low valleys can be attributed to the inconsistant full-service gas stations south of the US. Some of the guys filled the tank to the very brim, and other left some space.

Jamie

41 - 60 of 96 Posts