StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past 8 months or so (July-Feb) I've watched with concern as my gas mileage has dropped from about ~53 MPG to 41 MPG.
Changing the air filter, oil, spark plugs hasn't helped. Driving the bike along the same route, tire air pressure checked. We've had a very mild winter here so I can't believe seasonal temps could be responsible for that kind of shift.

What are the other candidates? I see no signs of fuel leakage. :confused:

Thanks!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well I know they change fuel slightly depending on the season and temperature, but I can hardly believe that that would have any effect on your mpg. So I have no idea.

Have you checked your brakes to make sure one of them is not gripping the disc brake while riding?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Odometer failing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I know they change fuel slightly depending on the season and temperature, but I can hardly believe that that would have any effect on your mpg. So I have no idea.

Have you checked your brakes to make sure one of them is not gripping the disc brake while riding?
How would I do that, and how would I adjust them if so?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
How would I do that, and how would I adjust them if so?

Thanks
If both wheels spin freely (with your hand), then the brakes are not binding... Gas grade is still seasonal (regardless of the mild winter)... You'll burn more winter gas than summer gas... mild or not...

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Well considering we have those cheapo sliding pin calipers popping them off for a cleaning is a good idea.

Front and back, also if there is air in the system it may only act up when warm

If chain is too tight or just crapped out there goes a lot of energy

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Binding calipers/pads will kill your mpg pretty quickly. Bad bearings won't help either. Check your brake rotors for excessive heat at the end of a ride. Try also a little injector cleaner.

Up north, here, the combination of cold temps and the winter fuel blend affect my mileage by up to as much as 20%. On a hot, hot day, I can be flabbergasted by the incredible mileage. On the 1000, I can swing anywhere from 240 kms/tank to 400 kms/tank, depending on whether it's a commute in below freezing temps or a Sunday ride in asphalt melting temps.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Do you still always have 3 bars lit up on your temperature gauge? I had a Honda with a bad thermostat (stuck open) that caused my mileage to drop.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Tire inflation might also contribute but I can't imagine what's causing your issue if you've done all that maintenance. I might be suspect of the injectors or timing but doubt that's the reason too.

I just made a Kroger vs. Shell regular/midgrade gas comparo with my Jeep Cherokee and got nearly no difference in mileage. Beats me...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you still always have 3 bars lit up on your temperature gauge? I had a Honda with a bad thermostat (stuck open) that caused my mileage to drop.
Yes, the temperature looks fine.

I had the bike in the shop to have new tires put on and mentioned the problem. The only thing they came up with was that I had apparently overfilled my oil. I'm a little skeptical that could explain the problem but I should know next week sometime when I refill!

·
Registered
116 Posts
My MPG drops in winter. In some areas, "winter gas", will not give as good a MPG. It also could be your local dealer is using gas with more alcohol in it, and that will definitely bring it down. Try finding a supplier with better gas.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have an 05 Wee and during winter, the MPG drops to 46-48 and in summer, it's 51. We now have our grandchild, who is 9 years, and I run her to the bus stop, every morning. It's about a mile morning and nite, and the mileage is about 41-43. If the bike doesn't get warmed up good between trips, it stays in open cicuit and runs richer. This does kill the MPG. Short trips kill mileage.
When I commuted 25 miles to work, every day, the change in MPG was not that noticeable. Has your riding habits changed, during the winter? Cold and riding habits will change the mileage the most.
Just my findings after 5 years with this bike or any vehicle, during the last 45 plus years +/_.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts