StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many MP3 players do not produce enough volume if you are not using "in the ear" headphones. I use a style available from Aerostitch (possibly other places too) that fit in the "pocket" where your ear fits in most helmets. My solution was to purchase a "portable/pocket" amplifier.

Electric Avenues produces a couple versions that work extremly well. I opted for the battery powered version, but then converted it to 12v power using an old cell phone adapter that I had laying around. If you listen to tunes while riding I'll say this product works perfectly. I placed mine in the small pocket of my Joe Rocket Manta bag and even with the rain cover in place I can turn the volume down, so I can chat with friends when we stop for a red light. I have the Manta equipped with 2 12volt power sources and a quick disconnect protruding from the front of the bag for when I stop, to aid in easy removal

·
Off Wee-ing in the woods
676 Posts
I just picked up a boostaroo at best buy. It's not as fancy as the one linked to above, but it works and it's only $20

·
Registered
159 Posts
THese are generally 'cmoy' type amplifiers, aftger the circuit's designer Chu Moy. You can find them in a lot of different places, with different features etc. Ebay is a popular place to get them. They work great and they're small and they run a long time off a battery.

What I'd like to see is a unit that is a combination of CMoy and also a low-pass filter for helmet communications systems. The low-pass filter should eliminate much of the wind noise from the microphone, while the amplifier would hopefully allow you to hear at speeds above 45 and/or with earplugs in...

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure many can :p I didn't think I had the talent or the tools to produce the version I have. Now if you could tell me how to remove the volume control so I could positition it where it could be of better use, I'd be appreciative :p

You could always build your own. Heres a pic of one I put together for home use:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts