StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving from Connecticut to Florida soon and I was wondering if I need to do anything different in the hotter climate. I already ride all year up here but down there I will need all new riding gear.
I will need to do an antifreeze change within a few thousand miles and I am planning on switching to a 15W40 oil. Do you guys down South use any coolant additives?
I also have a gel seat. Is there any way to keep it from burning my nether regions other than parking in the dark shade? Up here I put a light colored towel over it when I'm at work and that seems to do the trick.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
Flat and hotter than hell, get some good mesh gear cause you will need it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
don't forget to counter steer when you come to a curve. oh, never mind...

seriously tho, a good mesh jacket, summer gloves, full face, neck/chest wrap, frozen water bottles for the road for drinking and dousing neck/chest wrap. put wrap in a plastic bag or use the plastic case one brand comes in, fill with ice water to soak, wear and repeat.

we use 10/40 non syn. my bike tends to wanna vapor lock if sits on hot sun a while. tj's 08k does not. you may wanna invest in a furry seat cover for that gel seat.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'm moving from Connecticut to Florida soon and I was wondering if I need to do anything different in the hotter climate.
Around here, we worry about people using cell phone. Down there, we worry about people that can't see five feet past the end of their car. :jawdrop:

Seriously.

And...the idea of going with mesh gear is the best suggestion.

·
Registered
695 Posts
One of those sheepskins will keep your gel seat from toasting up your boys.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Mesh gear is good. I have First Gear. A modular helmet is nice. Otherwise, just do what the manual says and ride. It is different depending upon where you are going to live. I just did a pleasant 235 mile ride on Friday along the Gulf. Apalachicola National Forest goes on forever if you are into sandy forest roads - I am not so enthusiastic as I ride alone, and one could get into trouble far from help. Otherwise, welcome!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm headed to the east coast side near Daytona.
I figured mesh gear would be a necessity so I'm going to show my wife all of your responses so she doesn't think I'm making it up just to get new gear!

By furry seat cover do you mean an Alaskan sheepskin or just a generic one? I've also read about some sort of air filled cover thing from Wally World but I've never seen one in a store. Would beads help or are they not so good in the heat?

Will the salt air necessitate different cleaning routines? I keep my chain lubed with every fill up (maybe skipping one once in a while) but how about the rest?

·
Premium Member
7,053 Posts
I also have a gel seat. Is there any way to keep it from burning my nether regions other than parking in the dark shade? Up here I put a light colored towel over it when I'm at work and that seems to do the trick.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Get a half cover for the bike. I use a Nelson Rigg cover. The first lasted several years of daily use.

·
Registered
817 Posts
yeah, Alaskan sheepskin. I've just heard good things about them at a strom gathering recently. it helps with airflow down there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In st Augustine after living decades in NY. it's nothing like south or central Fl- Daytona not so bad- good riding by ormand beach and Daytona 13 months out of the year here... get some good rides in in CT and NY- that is where it's at.
You will wear a flat center strip on your rear here... and you really don't need handlebars

·
Registered
212 Posts
All the advice above is good and well intentioned. The only thing I will add is to keep a heavy coat of wax on your bike and wash it regularly. The salt air is not kind to unprotected metal at all. A two year old bike will look 10 very quickly if you are not careful.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I am a former Naples resident, you will find the humidity is sometimes difficult to ride in. You will find yourself shedding heavy gear, buy mesh and sunscreen for exposed areas. Was the bike more frequently and use a good wax/protectant if you ride in the coastal areas/
The ride from Key Largo to Key West is awesome! Carry a fishing pole and lots of water.

Enjoy, maybe one day I will go back.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Get you a small squirt bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide.. One word.. LoveBugs..
I don't ride too much when it's 95º and 100% humidity.. Think opposite of up north.. Don't ride much when it's below zero and snow.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Get a half cover for the bike. I use a Nelson Rigg cover. The first lasted several years of daily use.
How do you ride with that thing on it? :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
132 Posts
sell everything and buy a 20+ foot boat and rent a slip bo trailer
I have to agree with richw. I had to travel around north and central Florida in support of about 18 service technicians assigned to my territory. As a rider, I'm always looking at things from a riders perspective, even when I'm in the company truck. After 15 months of trips to Florida, you could not PAY me to ride a motorcycle among those senile, half-blind retirees. I actually bought my Wee in Orlando, but chose to trailer it back to Georgia. Once back in GA, I left my wife driving the car/trailer home, and I rode the wee. No way I was going to pit my wits against those half-wits on the roads. (not that GA drivers are great, but by comparison, better.)
Before that job assignment, I had always intended to make the key-west run and take a picture at the famous signpost. I still might, but only after they move Key West to some other state.

·
Registered
300 Posts
FL

Mesh gear is about all you can do. There are some good rides on the back roads to places like Al's Landing and Gator Joes. Make the best of it and explore.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts