StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Did my first two up ride on the Vee this past weekend with the wife. She says that she has much less room on the Vee than she had on the Burgman so now am looking for ways to move the V45 Givi top case back a bit. Found some brackets on Adventure Motostuff that would move it back up to 2" but it was $119. A bit steep. Wanted to know if anyone had any alternatives that may be a bit more reasonable.

Note - I can turn a wrench and tighten a bolt but that's as far as my mechanical abilities take me. I have no ability or desire to fabricate something. In other words, I need a bolt on solution.

Thanks,
T

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Can you manage a drill and a hacksaw? Buy yourself a piece of 2" wide x 24" long x 1/8" thick steel flat bar (should cost about $5.00). Cut it into 2 pieces and drill 4 holes. A shot of spray paint and a couple new bolts and you're done.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The Adventure Motorsport plate you're talking about is for someone without a Givi base, the plate to mount your base on isn't as expensive. I think you can just buy that plate and mount what you have, contact them and make sure before you order. I haven't seen a Givi top case plate, I take it doesn't have a lot of holes to allow you to move it front to back? I just put a Shad top case on mine and it had a LOT of holes, but I still drilled and tapped the rack to get it back as far as possible. Cheers-BB

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Adventure Motosport has a setup that is adjustable and moves back 2 inches. It maybe the same thing. Roger123 has one. I have been thinking about on if I bought a Givi top case but the cost keep adding up.

The adjustment is part of the Givi mounting plate.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have the Stock Suzuki case. You need to remove the case before you can remove the seat. I was planning to this mod so my wife would have a bit more room and no need to remove the case.

Les

·
Registered
85 Posts
Can you manage a drill and a hacksaw? Buy yourself a piece of 2" wide x 24" long x 1/8" thick steel flat bar (should cost about $5.00). Cut it into 2 pieces and drill 4 holes. A shot of spray paint and a couple new bolts and you're done.

I made mine out of 2" by 1/8" aluminum stock; no need to paint!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I have the Stock Suzuki case. You need to remove the case before you can remove the seat. I was planning to this mod so my wife would have a bit more room and no need to remove the case.

Les
you have to modify the amotostuff rack to use the OEM case.

white piece is plastic cuz it's what i had. the OEM latch block mounts to it. i will be replacing it w/ aluminum some day but it works fine like this.
the OEM studs are closer together than the GIVI stud. see the two little silve dots closer to the corner? those are the AMotostuff studs that i installed from the bottom so i wouldn't loose them.

the pie shaped rubber bumpers are the Amotostuff bumpers. they just stick on. i left them on because there's no reason to take them off. had to drill holes for the OEM bumpers.

just another view. on the left you can see the Amotostuff stud on the underside of the adjustable plate. plate is adjusted all the way back

i used the Suzuki accessory top case rack. it must be drilled in order to mount the Amotostuff base plate. it was kind of a pain to make sure it was even front to back and left to right. very little play in where the holes can be drilled. if anyone is interested i'd be willing to make a template. the Amotostuff plate bolts right on to the stock rack with no mods. why'd i use the accessory rack?? I dunno. because i had it?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi All,

Did my first two up ride on the Vee this past weekend with the wife. She says that she has much less room on the Vee than she had on the Burgman so now am looking for ways to move the V45 Givi top case back a bit. Found some brackets on Adventure Motostuff that would move it back up to 2" but it was $119. A bit steep. Wanted to know if anyone had any alternatives that may be a bit more reasonable.

Note - I can turn a wrench and tighten a bolt but that's as far as my mechanical abilities take me. I have no ability or desire to fabricate something. In other words, I need a bolt on solution.

Thanks,
T
It's been awhile, but I think I just reversed the Givi brackets - it added an inch or so.

KevinL

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A drill and hacksaw are within my limited realm of manageable tools. Under the v46 is the Givi universal bracket E250. The Z mounting bars go in opposite directions, so turning one around does not appear to be an option. Putting a couple of bars on or a plate seems to be the best solution but I will do as another poster and go with aluminum.

OK, now for the stupid question of the day. Where does one buy a couple aluminum bars or plate like this, Home Depot?

Thanks,
T

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
A drill and hacksaw are within my limited realm of manageable tools. Under the v46 is the Givi universal bracket E250. The Z mounting bars go in opposite directions, so turning one around does not appear to be an option. Putting a couple of bars on or a plate seems to be the best solution but I will do as another poster and go with aluminum.

OK, now for the stupid question of the day. Where does one buy a couple aluminum bars or plate like this, Home Depot?

Thanks,
T
recycling center/scrap yard??
any of these places should be able to help you.
http://www.theyellowpages.com/yp_results.php?ReportType=44&provider=107&qbn=Metal&qc=marietta&qi=0&qk=10&qs=GA

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My wife was complaining so first thing I did was remove the backrest thingy off the V46 case. That helped but she still wanted more room. A couple of days ago I decided to pop things apart and take a look as the cases were on the bike when I bought it and I did not know how they were mounted. After removing the cover plate from the E250 (4 small screws) I removed the 2 rear mounting bolts. Examination showed me the holes were actually slots so I loosened up the 2 front bolts and slid the E250 back over an inch. I tightened everything up in this rear most position and reinstalled the V46. I now have plenty of room for seat removal and my wife has stopped complaining.

So I don't know why my E250 set up has slots for adjustment as it seems no one else's does...as far as I can tell the brackets with the slots were manufactured that way and not modified by drills and rasps. It's also strange that it was initially installed in the forward position of the slots which made seat removal tight with the V46 on the bike....go figure.

BTW, those italian GIVI designers must have tiny fingers to get those nuts on underneath the rack...a real PITA.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Home Depot would work but you're probably better off at Metal Supermarkets. I've bought all kinds of stuff from them. They usually have a bin of "off cuts" and, if you've got a small amount of cash and don't need a bill, you can get some really good deals.

Welcome to Your Neighborhood Metal Supermarkets

Manager - Hennie Pelzer
1000 Williams Drive, Suite 1012
Marietta, GA 30066
USA
Phone: (770) 218-0550
Fax: (770) 218-1404

Thanks,
T

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
A wrench with a magnet attached will hold the nut for you. You have to be gentle until you get it started, but it works. They say "necessity is the mother of invention". Well, sausage fingers can inspire some creative thought too. ;)

BTW, those italian GIVI designers must have tiny fingers to get those nuts on underneath the rack...a real PITA.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I have an 03 Vee with the stock, cast aluminum luggage rack.
I didn't like the extra height of the mounting bars for the Givi mount and wanted to move it back, too.

I removed and disposed of the bent sheet metal bars and drilled a couple of 1/4" holes in the rack and remounted the E250 that way. A couple of extra washers was all that was necessary.

Might be an option for you, too.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
A wrench with a magnet attached will hold the nut for you. You have to be gentle until you get it started, but it works. They say "necessity is the mother of invention". Well, sausage fingers can inspire some creative thought too. ;)
Even simpler is a piece of tape on the wrench. Stick it to one side of the wrench, put the nut it and thread the bolt from the top.

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
T
As a little footnote:

This weekend I was at he Ohio Strom meet. That is about 500 miles from home. My friend that rode along with me on his 1000 crashed his bike down there and it was unrideable. I have a Givi 52 liter topcase. I'm 245 lbs and my friend is 220 or so lbs. So, although I already had the brackets facing rear having more space was a good plan.

Glen, who hosted the event at his place, was able to create the bracket. I showed him Heavy's plans for the bracket and using some scrap metal he had hanging around and some bolts he made one on the spot. It maybe took half an hour looking for the right pieces of metal and I think another 20 or 30 minutes to actually make the bracket.

It did the job very well!

Thanks Heavy!

..Tom

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Home Depot would work but you're probably better off at Metal Supermarkets. I've bought all kinds of stuff from them. They usually have a bin of "off cuts" and, if you've got a small amount of cash and don't need a bill, you can get some really good deals.

Welcome to Your Neighborhood Metal Supermarkets

Manager - Hennie Pelzer
1000 Williams Drive, Suite 1012
Marietta, GA 30066
USA
Phone: (770) 218-0550
Fax: (770) 218-1404

Much appreciated, about 12 miles from my house so will visit them tomorrow.

Thanks
T

1 - 20 of 24 Posts