StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2006 DRZ400S with only 3000 miles (but a lot of upgrades), but think I want a more "street friendly" dual sport and think the DL650 is the way to go.

Anyone else make a shift like this?

Anyone looking for a better dirt dual sport want to swap?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I didn't switch, I added a DL650 to my DR350. That way I have the best of both worlds. Keep the DRZ. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wish that was an option, but only room for one bike in my life. Need more highway comfort. Love the DRZ though, its great around town and in the dirt, but want to put more distance on my trips.

Maybe someone is in the oposite boat than me and wants more dirt in their life, haha.

I didn't switch, I added a DL650 to my DR350. That way I have the best of both worlds. Keep the DRZ. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
On dirt roads the DL is pretty capable.
It's the nasty stuff you'll need to learn to avoid. You can get a DL through some unbelievably bad terrain but it's a lot edgier.

One area the DL does win is steep uphills, so much power you don't have to take a run at them. The downhill on the way back will scare the crap out of you though ;)

Just commenting, simply because you may be tempted to take on stuff a DRZ will do easily - not a good idea.

Didn't go from DRZ to DL, but I used to ride small dirt bikes, it's distances in Oz that made the DL a better choice.

Pete

·
Registered
111 Posts
I switched from a modded '01 DRZ to a DL650 two years ago, I had never ridden a DL until I bought mine and I wasn't sure it was going to be the right bike for me, I was able to buy the DL without selling the DRZ first but after a few months of riding the DL I decided to sell the DRZ (I have a 250 two stroke for my real fix in the woods) I liked the DRZ but I was spending more time commuting on it than riding any kind of dual sport terrain and wanted something more steet oriented. The DL will take me anywhere I dare to go on it which has mostly been the street and fire roads. If I had the time and money to keep another bike I would consider getting another DRZ but for now I wouldn't switch back.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I have a 2006 DRZ400S with only 3000 miles (but a lot of upgrades), but think I want a more "street friendly" dual sport and think the DL650 is the way to go.

Anyone looking for a better dirt dual sport want to swap?
IMO the Strom really isn't any sort of D/S. It's a great street bike, and like any standard style street bike you can take on dirt and gravel roads, and stuff a little rougher than that if you can live with dropping it. There are other street bikes that no one ever thinks of as D/S bikes, like the SV650N, that are better off-road than the Strom is.

Sooo, the question is, how important is "real" D/S capability to you?? If you can live with the Strom limitations, then it's a great bike. If you still want to get off into the rough stuff once in a while though, something like the DR650 might be a better choice.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ditto on the DR650 option. I'm fortunate to have the DL and the DR so the Strom is 99% street duty. The DR is basically the same bike since '96 (I'd go 2004 or newer to capture the small upgrades) and can be had for a reasonable price. Very road and DS capable.

As mentioned, the DL will go a lot of places folks wouldn't think of, but I also chase pumpkins and DRZ's on my DR. I just can't bring myself to risk the DL in the dirt much, so I don't.

Good luck on the search.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I have no plans of doing anything beyond the dirt roads in the forest and the dirt road around the camp I work at. Thats why I think the Vstrom is a great fit...great on the road, but can handle a dirt road.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I'm reminded of something Tony Stewart said some years ago when he was competing in both the NASCAR and Indycar circuits, and drove in the Indy 500 AND a NASCAR race the same day. "It's like going from a Porsche to a school bus," he famously said. And no doubt today fervently wishes he could UNSAY it.:mrgreen:

Don't you do that. We have feelings, you know.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Yeah, I have no plans of doing anything beyond the dirt roads in the forest and the dirt road around the camp I work at. Thats why I think the Vstrom is a great fit...great on the road, but can handle a dirt road.
As long as those roads don't have a lot of mud or deep sand the Strom will be perfect. :)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
It sounds like you already have made your decision. :yesnod:

I ride a DRZ at work and it’s a hoot of a bike. But at the end of the day when I hope on my DL100 for the ride home it's all smiles. The power delivery is a lot smoother and the bike just rides the paved roads better than what the DRZ can but that is what the DL was made to do “paved roads”. Just don't expect to get back into the rough country with the DL like the DRZ can which you already have accepted.

Good luck. :beatnik:

·
Registered
93 Posts
On dirt roads the DL is pretty capable.
It's the nasty stuff you'll need to learn to avoid. You can get a DL through some unbelievably bad terrain but it's a lot edgier.

One area the DL does win is steep uphills, so much power you don't have to take a run at them. The downhill on the way back will scare the crap out of you though ;)

Just commenting, simply because you may be tempted to take on stuff a DRZ will do easily - not a good idea.

Didn't go from DRZ to DL, but I used to ride small dirt bikes, it's distances in Oz that made the DL a better choice.

Pete
Ditto here, I went from an SM to the new 2012 ad haven't regretted it.
I loved my Z but I wanted something that did the long open roads in Aus.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yup - for your clearly stated mission - I'd keep my Strom if I had to make a choice. Good luck on the search. I put a few miles of dirt roads in the Prescott/Payson/Sedona/Flagstaff area behind me in 2009. Great riding area.

·
contributed too
58 Posts
DL vs DRZ...

I have both and the DL is a great bike that if you drop it you won't scratch the chrome...! Yes I have hot glued my broken blinkers:yikes:...lol! The DRZ kills the DL in the dirt... If I only had one it would be the GL with out a dought...:beatnik:

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I have a DL650 and a DR650.

I have the DL650 first and would take it out on some D/S rides and while I wasn't the 'smallest' bike on these I did notice that folks on the smaller bikes had a lot more fun and less work when things got squirrely.

So I started looking for something to add to the stable that could hammer out some highway and not beat me up so much so when I got to the dirt and mud I wasn't already worn out. I looked at the DR350, Drz400, DR650, and XR650L.

In the end I found a very nicely set up DR650 with FCR carb, GSXR1000 exhaust can, Ricor front end, Ricor rear shock, and a Seat Concepts kit. The bike is just what I was looking for on my weekend DS rides.

RIght now I use my DL sort of like a big SUV... for long trips and when I am packing pretty heavy. But for around town and DS rides under a 1000 miles I take the DR650.

If I could only have one and didn't enjoy my 2 week, 4000 mile summer vacation rides then I would go with the DR650. Otherwise the DL650 would be my choice.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree with what everyone says. The DL650 will never be a thumper off road. Maybe if you are 6'3" and 250 you could manhandle it off road but my 160 pounds will never try it. I have a DRZ400S and a XR650L and like the others have said the DL is more like my SUV. Comfy and can go down fire roads but single track....uh no way for me!

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Expert on both ... and lots more.

There is a fellow named Geoff Smith who had both those bikes for quite a while, and can perhaps give you a lot of advice. He is very active on Ridetherock.com - Adventure Riding In Newfoundland And Labrador, and I think his handle is KLX450R. Guess what he rides nowadays. When I rode with Geoff, I got a great view of the back of his bike, but I managed to keep the back of mine completely out of his sight ... :yesnod:

Keith

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ended up swapping the DRZ for a DR650, way smoother on the road/highway, but still sticks to the dirt roads I drive. Really like it over the DRZ for what I need.

One day I hope to be on a DL650, but couldn't afford it now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
DRZ to DL

I have both an 04 DRZ435S and an 06 DL650. For my money the DRZ is a ton of fun for me off road dual sporting. The DL650, in my opinion, is not a dual sport or off road bike. I know there a a large number of people who take their DL's off road it is not for me. I like both bikes & still have both but for different modes. I even have 17" SM tires for the DRZ and it is real fun around town, quick handling and powerful. For the road anything over 30 miles & I will take the DL everytime.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts