StromTrooper banner

321 - 340 of 358 Posts

·
Vendor
5,238 Posts
The "because you watched so and so movie here are some other movies you may like" feature uses an algorithm and is a simple form of artificial intelligence. Maybe in ten years it will be sophisticated enough to send us movies we will personally enjoy.

The Netflix hidden gems selection I choose last night was a bust. "When We First Met" sounded like a great movie for the household. A Sci Fi time traveling romantic comedy. Instead it was just a dud. My wife walked out, my mother and I stuck it out hoping it would get better. It never did.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I just got Days of Thunder and Top Gun in 4k, beyond excited to watch these tonight in glorious Dolby Atmos! Sorry Goose but it's time to buzz the tower!

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts

good - on Netflix

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Top Gun 4k was AWESOME. Dolby Atmos soundtrack completely changes that movie.

Days of thunder 4k disc was a letdown. Very low quality, it's like watching a 4k stream on netflix. Audio was also not redone so it was still in 5.1

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
Watching Waco on Netflix...crazies all around and not just in the compound.

·
Super Moderator
4,591 Posts
I just watched the first couple episodes of Space Force on Netflix.
I've noticed quite often that Americans tend to leave out the word "of" after "couple".

In Australia, we would write "first couple of episodes".

Is that usual or a local thing, like some Americans saying "He drug me out of there" while we'd say "He dragged me out of there".

Another thing we see as odd is Americans asking "where are you at?". To us, the "at" is redundant. We'd say "where are you?"

Ahh, the variations in the same language. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not sure if all regions get the same Netflix options but I loved the German series 'Dark'. Better than Stranger Things, in my opinion, and I really enjoyed that as well.

Movie wise:

Idiocracy; funny as hell but I teach mathematics so can see the high possibility that this might come true...

Alien; I love this movie. Perfect piece of cinema. Great to have a bad ass female hero at a time when sci fi meant mainly men kicking the evil alien ass and Sigourney Weaver/Ripley is bad ass in this and the sequel.

Any Monty Python movie; I can still quote lines from these much to the confusion of my students whose humour level is more suited to the fictional movie 'Ow my balls' from the aforementioned Idiocracy.

2001: A Space Odyssey; I love cerebral movies and this one was as good as the book.

Anything with Michael Pena or Maggie Smith in; Seriously... I'm sure they have both done a dud but I haven't seen one. (I fully understand that I'm opening myself up to being ridiculed with this one 😉)

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've noticed quite often that Americans tend to leave out the word "of" after "couple".

In Australia, we would write "first couple of episodes".

Is that usual or a local thing, like some Americans saying "He drug me out of there" while we'd say "He dragged me out of there".

Another thing we see as odd is Americans asking "where are you at?". To us, the "at" is redundant. We'd say "where are you?"

Here's an anecdote from my own experience.

As a Canadian, I never have any issues communicating or understanding Americans. There are some regional variations in accents and wording (my heart melts when I hear a southern y'all), but overall it's most of the same.

A few years ago, I was in Chattanooga, TN. Stopped at a Starbucks and asked where the washroom was. The girl behind the counter gives me a blank look. Thinking she didn't hear me clearly, I repeat my question. Still blank look. Then someone in line speaks up, "he's asking for the bathroom." Oh...

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,591 Posts
A few years ago, I was in Chattanooga, TN. Stopped at a Starbucks and asked where the washroom was. The girl behind the counter gives me a blank look. Thinking she didn't hear me clearly, I repeat my question. Still blank look. Then someone in line speaks up, "he's asking for the bathroom." Oh...
At work some years back (I've been retired for 10 years this month), a girl came up to me and asked where the bathroom was.

I told her we didn't have one so she wandered off to find one somewhere else. One of my colleagues asked why I didn't point out the public toilets to her. I told him she asked for a bathroom, not the toilets.

I get annoyed when I hear TV news and newspapers refer to public bathrooms, not public toilets. Bloody Americanisation of our language! They even use the American date format now on TV and in newspapers (check the date on any Oz newspaper).

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
The Vast of Night on Amazon Prime.
Really good!

Reactions: richlandrick

·
Vendor
5,238 Posts
In Australia, we ...
My wife and I moved out of the Carolina's for a couple of years and were back home on vacation at a drive-in Bar-B-Que. I gave our order to the car hop (waiter) and he said said "scooze me?" I repeated the order, four hot dogs all the way with Bar-B-Que slaw slower and again he had trouble understanding. A third time did the trick. When he left I turned to my wife and said what was that about. Laughing she said he couldn't understand your accent.

+1 for Space Force.

I'll check out "vast of night" tonight.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I get annoyed when I hear TV news and newspapers refer to public bathrooms, not public toilets. Bloody Americanisation of our language! They even use the American date format now on TV and in newspapers (check the date on any Oz newspaper).
I feel the same whenever I see marketing in Canada using American spelling instead of the proper British spelling :eek:

Reactions: p38arover

·
Vendor
5,238 Posts
I liked Vast of NIght in teh hoem theater. My 82 y/o SCi-Fi loving mother watched it on a regular big flat screen and did not. Immersions helps with all movies, but I liked it. Great sound track.

Anyone with a 9.2 system? Was it worth it over a 7.2? I have an opportunity to upgrade.

Also, for anyone afraid of being Americanized.

321 - 340 of 358 Posts