StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I want to say I've read tons of info here, but since I don't have the ability to test the way I'd like - I'm hoping for a specific type of comparison below.
This is not a V vs. Wee thread - I already know the V can do what I want - I'm only asking about the Wee here.

First some background:
Im in my early 40s and basically have a Kawasaki Mean Streak 1600 with aftermarkets including pipes, intake, Power Commander, progressive fork springs, seat and highway pegs. Pro reviewers consider it as being nimble and handling very well "for a 1600cc cruiser."
I'm 5'10.5" and 165 lbs, 33" inseam

Riding style:
Normal highway cruising is about 75 -80 mph. When I go to places like Payson (steep highway that has places I know are free of patrol, allowing me to ride at 90-95 for a good while around fast sweepers - I love fast sweepers). I also like to pass on the surface streets, but keep within 10 mph of speed limit except quick pass surges.

I'm definitely ready for a better performing bike that can handle tighter twisties along with fast highways.
The V2 is what I want and planned to get until my job was eliminated. Luckily, I found a job that will pay my bills, but dreams of a newer model must wait a couple of years. So used it is:punk:
My new job will involve a lot of travel, mixed on long country roads, highway, and at times congested traffic. I also want to use a bike to go further (400+ miles/day at 75-80 mph) on occasion.

The Wee has the mpg advantage, which is the only reason I'm considering it.
I often see Wees and V1s at similar prices, so initial cost isn't a biggie here.
I'm wondering if anyone has made the move from a big bore cruiser to a Wee, especially if they are the type to go 80 mph and then pass on a 2 lane highway going up hill - needing to hit close to 100 quickly.
I'm sure the Wee can kick it hard on level ground - but mountains - that's what I'm asking about.
I'm also wondering about sustained 75 - 80 mph, including climbing mountains at that speed.

Sure the V will win that category - but, if the Wee can match or beat my 1600 in that category I think the Wee is the way to go for me.
Thanks

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
Either 650 generations would match that decently, but I would say to consider the 1000 "for you". First gen 1000 is a finicky beast, consider a 2014 and up Vee2.........apples to oranges compared to the latter.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
When I read "Payson" mind mind envisioned "Jerome" and I was thinking you are quite insane doing 89A at 90-95, but then I realized my mistake. I would not even think about Yarnell hill at those speeds, but some most likely do it. Anyway, yes I agree with B....a 1000 is more suited for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Yes, Motor7, 89A at those speeds would be insane. However, Jerome is actually one of the reasons I want to get an adventure bike. My bike is great on sweepers, but Jerome is a bit far for a day trip on it and the funner parts wouldn't be so fun on the cruiser. B - appreciate you considering my riding style and needs.

Time to get the bike ready to sell, and make the move soon. Pretty much looking at a hard $4,000 price limit, hoping for close to $3k for the cruiser, and my paid-out time off from old job for the difference.

What really stinks is there is a 2014 V with 1,100 miles on it on Craigslist (at dealership). Over the past 3 months I watched with price drop from 8,999 to $6,999. However, my current situation says getting a loan is not in the cards:frown2:

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
I'm hedging now....on really tight curves like Jerome, I'd rather be on a 650 than the 1000...it's a noticeably more flick-able bike. The draw back is not having the liter engine to turn up the G's when you want them. It is most certainly a trade off so you might want to get some seat time on both bikes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Yes, Motor7, 89A at those speeds would be insane. However, Jerome is actually one of the reasons I want to get an adventure bike. My bike is great on sweepers, but Jerome is a bit far for a day trip on it and the funner parts wouldn't be so fun on the cruiser. B - appreciate you considering my riding style and needs.

Time to get the bike ready to sell, and make the move soon. Pretty much looking at a hard $4,000 price limit, hoping for close to $3k for the cruiser, and my paid-out time off from old job for the difference.

What really stinks is there is a 2014 V with 1,100 miles on it on Craigslist (at dealership). Over the past 3 months I watched with price drop from 8,999 to $6,999. However, my current situation says getting a loan is not in the cards:frown2:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Perhaps this is owner pride, but a properly retuned early DL 1000 runs very well, be it around town or the highway. Even the track, mostly limited on the track by scraping things. I regularly ride with a Wee rider and we corner about the same, even on a track. Uphill, passing, would be the forte of the bigger engine, of course. The Vees gain about 10 mph per second at passing speeds. The Wee is likely more flickable due to its lighter weight. We're the same weight but you are slimmer, with a 33" inseam. I'm 31". You would have no trouble with the stock height of either bike. My Vee is 11 years old now and runs very strong. I enjoy the combination of comfort and sportyness of the Vee. I also get close to 50 mpg with the 4* advancer on the timing. You'll enjoy either bike, but it sounds to me like you need the Vee. And don't be afraid of an older one.

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
bobbyvstrom;4467993[U said:
]Perhaps this is owner pride, but a properly retuned early DL 1000 runs very well[/U], be it around town or the highway. Even the track, mostly limited on the track by scraping things. I regularly ride with a Wee rider and we corner about the same, even on a track. Uphill, passing, would be the forte of the bigger engine, of course. The Vees gain about 10 mph per second at passing speeds. The Wee is likely more flickable due to its lighter weight. We're the same weight but you are slimmer, with a 33" inseam. I'm 31". You would have no trouble with the stock height of either bike. My Vee is 11 years old now and runs very strong. I enjoy the combination of comfort and sportyness of the Vee. I also get close to 50 mpg with the 4* advancer on the timing. You'll enjoy either bike, but it sounds to me like you need the Vee. And don't be afraid of an older one.
Yup they can, after owning 2 myself.......I can tell you it typically takes much adjusting, constant fiddling, and usually money spent in order to do so. The 650 is pretty much ready to go out of the box, a big reason why I am now riding/owning one. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the different perspectives. I feel like the 650 would be comfortable - it's a great, reliable bike. However, I'm turning a new chapter in my life - and you guys are helping me - thanks.
Starting a new job Monday - out of the corporate world of social work and into a family run social agency instead (7 of us loss jobs due to losses unrelated to my department, I was with the company for over 10 years).
I had a chance to return for more money, but chose the lower salary, good feeling job.

Screw it, I want the liter - revolting against practicality. Not time to get a loan, but a V is still twice as good on gas as my 2007 FJ Cruiser. I'm good with a wrench>:)
I appreciate your honesty and consideration - I'll let you know how it works out after I sell the 1600 and find the right V.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I appreciate the different perspectives. I feel like the 650 would be comfortable - it's a great, reliable bike. However, I'm turning a new chapter in my life - and you guys are helping me - thanks.
Starting a new job Monday - out of the corporate world of social work and into a family run social agency instead (7 of us loss jobs due to losses unrelated to my department, I was with the company for over 10 years).
I had a chance to return for more money, but chose the lower salary, good feeling job.

Screw it, I want the liter - revolting against practicality. Not time to get a loan, but a V is still twice as good on gas as my 2007 FJ Cruiser. I'm good with a wrench>:)
I appreciate your honesty and consideration - I'll let you know how it works out after I sell the 1600 and find the right V.
No - it might not be a great time to get a loan; however, if you put down the money from the cruiser sale and finance for 5 years in the amount of around $6,000 you are probably looking at less than $75 per month payments.
You might be able to find a new leftover V2 for $9,000 or less. Then (if you can afford $75/month) your are in business.

I think the DL1000 is a great choice, especially for touring at 75+ mph. The highway manners of the V2 are simply fantastic. At 80 mph, the bike isn't even breathing heavy and cruises smooth with no vibrations and still has Plenty of power left. The excellent suspension just adds to the great touring experience. In addition to great touring, the V2 has incredible brakes, including ABS.

Please report back to us about what you finally purchase. If you end up with the V2 DL1000 (based on your comments and needs) I have a feeling that you will love the V-Strom.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
If you hunt around you can still find a leftover 2014 V2 at 7k. There are very few used ones out there, depends where you live and how far you can go to get one. You may find one for 6k. (Search Cycletrader, eBay, Craigslist)

However used (and well equipped) WEE's and VEE's are much easier to find and a very good value because they don't hold value well because some of the new model leftovers were discounted so much!
My WEE is 12 years old, just under 50k, nothing wrong. If you wring out the engine a bit it will go up any mountain one up pretty well. Obviously the more you carry the bigger the difference. There is a reason that they outsold the VEE 2:1, not just being practical, also being enough fun for most. If you carry a heavier load or ride 2 up for sure hunt for a VEE!

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I went from a Harley Road King to a 2012 DL650, and loved it. The one area I found it lacking was for two-up touring; with a two person load of gear and a passenger, I wanted a little more juice.

When it came time to get a bigger bike and yet keep all the things I loved about the DL650, it came down to either the new DL1000 or a 2014 Super Tenere. Both were the same price at Romney Cycles in West Virginia. I went with the Super Tenere, and haven't regretted it. I've seen older Super Teneres in the $7000 range on Cycle Trader.

Truthfully, if it had just been me that was riding, I would probably have stayed with the DL650.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
At 165 pounds, the Wee has plenty of power, IMO. If you use the gears and wring the throttle, it goes pretty good at well over legal speeds. However, I will say I did not make a habit of riding 95mph on any road.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a dl650--I moved to it from an old Shadow 750. It is flickable, no doubt. I test rode both the 650 and 1000, but kept feeling an odd vibration on the 1000 at certain rpm. Here in Utah, our highway speed limit is 80, and let me tell you--the Wee will do it, eagerly (and for all-road rides, I tried moving to a 17 but feel a 16 front sprocket would be better). Can it pop from 80 to 100 quickly? No, not at all. It will do 100, but it takes some time to get there. Oh and the mileage at speeds above maybe 75 drops off quickly. I was as low as 35 (but we were riding Highway 50, hard, through canyons and into a headwind). If all I did was high speed highway riding, I'd sell the Wee and buy a sport tourer like an RT1200R or the Honda ST1100. But I do a lot of everything, which is why I love the Wee. I'm planning an x-country ride in '18 to Central NY and back, and my only planned change is to go from soft side bags to a full set of hard cases, and to pop on a 16t front sprocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts