StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well..hello all....

I'm strongly considering moving from my Tenere to a Wee. I know many of you will have big opinions one way or the other... but I'm seeking some wise guidance.

A little history... I'm 48 yr olds, been riding since I was 5 or so. Grew up riding dirt and dual sport and owned many and current DS is a 2012 DR650. Didnt really get into street riding till about 6 years ago although ive ridden my brothers bikes alot. 1st street bike was a Versys. Loved the bike for highway twisties, but never took it off road. Kids got old enough to ride with me and really like it so decided to sell the Versys and got the Tenere for more comfort, safety and thinking of going longer distances. Was a stretch $$ wise but I pulled it off.

Well, now with some additional debts coming along and finding myself not riding the Tenere as much as I should, mainly riding my DR on DS rides, I'm looking at less expensive alternatives that I wont feel quite as guilty about it sitting idle and lessons some expenses like gas, insurance etc...

Since I enjoyed the Versys so much, I'm thinking the Wee may be just the ticket. I'm past the power hungry stage so not all that concerned with the loss in power. My thoughts are the Wee will be better for 2 up wth my kids and some light offroad duty but still be a nice twisty ride as well.

So what ya say? I know many may think Im crazy as I know some long for a S10, but I think for now, this may be the smart move for me...at least for another 5 or so years till my kids are out of the house.

So what advise can you give me? Think its a mistake? Will i regret the move? Would a dealer really screw me over if I tried to trade? Better Options to sell outright and get a nice used Wee, or find an inmate to trade with? Give me some thoughts. Im not at the point where the $$ is an emergency, but the diff in $ would be welcome right now.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
You're not crazy. But in order to get the most cash, I'd sell the 10 and look for a good used Wee. They come around at a good price if you check often. The Tenere is a beast of a bike, but I like my wee better after test riding the Tenere. Can't say if you'll feel the same, but the wee is a decent all around bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wanna swap?

Well, I kinda been hankering for a Super T. Maybe we could trade...

Buddy of mine bought one about the same time as I bought my Wee. He takes that sucker all over the country on asphalt, but it ain't no slouch in the woods either.

I really like the ergonomics on my Wee, plenty of power for me, I am not really a big off-road guy-but I like to take the forest service roads when I want to and there are plenty of them around here.

Good fuel economy and insurance is reasonable.

Not bad on tires.

Don't know about 2 up, never had a passenger.

Pretty good in the twisties with the right tires.

I did have to replace the stator at 15k, which really was a bummer, but other than that the Wee is pretty fine.

Oh yeah, did I ask if you wanna swap? :thumbup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yea? Maybe ill need to pm Dirt Dad if he doesnt chime in here.... or has he moved on to the tenere forum?

Ref to trades...I dont want to violate any forum rules discussing that here as I know I cant post in the for sale section... guess someone could pm me me with questions on that maybe?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh yea? Maybe ill need to pm Dirt Dad if he doesnt chime in here.... or has he moved on to the tenere forum?

Ref to trades...I dont want to violate any forum rules discussing that here as I know I cant post in the for sale section... guess someone could pm me me with questions on that maybe?
Sent ya a PM last night, but it does not show up in my sent folder.

I think my pm sender is not working right.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Sent ya a PM last night, but it does not show up in my sent folder.

I think my pm sender is not working right.
I noticed the same thing within the past few days. I don't send many PMs, and I think mine might have been that way all along.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On road today... The pm did come thru. Got it this morning. I'll try to reply back to ya once I'm back home this evening. Don't like trying to do a big message from the phone .... Usually ends in frustration ...

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
I think you'll enjoy the Wee.....Compared to the Versys, the Wee is a pretty big motorcycle - just as big boned as your s10, yet 100lbs lighter. Plenty of room to stretch out which is important for letting those highway miles roll by.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The Tenere is the best option beyond a Strom IMO. Shaft drive is very nice when your doing long days across country. I wanted one, but needed to simplify my life in general. To me the DL1000 is a good all rounder and is a fine mild all road bike. I paid $3700 for my 2006 and it really only needed a skid plate and engine guards. You can find well equipped Stroms for $4K, less if your patient.

I left my 06 DL1000 ADV kinda stock for a few thousand miles, it already had luggage, PCIII, 2Bros exhaust, Gel seat and etc. Ended up changing the seat, the bars and adding some fun items like a fork brace and better springs. Never had a Tenere, but the DL1000 does the same exact thing my KTM 950A did, just a whole lot cheaper and I think its more comfortable than my KTM. I actually spent over 3 times more for orange, but I was able to sell it at a good price. The cool factor helped me there. I get stopped all the time by guys who wished they didn't upgrade away from a Strom. I guess I downgraded to mine, I find it was a good decision. I enjoy riding it often without feeling like I'm wasting money. Its cheap therapy to me. :)

I went from 3 bikes to one DL1000, its a good all purpose bike. If I had the time and money I would probably own at least 3 bikes again though, but those days are gone for me. Too many other things that need attention now or too many other hobbies. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Wee for being economical to operate. You said you don't think you'd miss the torque you're used to. That (the lack of) is what I miss most compared to previous bikes. Although I have put about 18,000 miles on mine in the past couple of years, it sits unless I have someplace specific to go, I never take it out for a 30 minute ride.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think you'll enjoy the Wee.....Compared to the Versys, the Wee is a pretty big motorcycle - just as big boned as your s10, yet 100lbs lighter. Plenty of room to stretch out which is important for letting those highway miles roll by.
So I tried to find a 2012+ Wee and none of the dealers around me had one. I did find the Kawasaki / KTM dealer had a 2007 Wee and I must say it didn't seem near as small as I would like in comparison to my Tenere. Is the 2012+ smaller or at least feel much smaller than the pre 12 wee?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am sure this won't make much sense to many, since my local friends are still shaking their heads at me but the great thing I learned along time ago is just do what makes you happy and don't worry about what makes sense..lol
I bought a new 2012 vstrom 650 in 2012 and rode it everywhere and after a cross country trip decided I wanted more power and something better on highway. I bought a 2013 tenere but did not want to sell the Vstrom since I ride everyday to work and it is better for commuting.
The Tenere sits in the garage except on the occasional longer trips since I prefer riding the Vstrom most of the time..
I usually sell a bike once I am around 30~40,000 miles just because I want something newer and I know either of these bikes will do many more miles, it's just something I do. The problem is that mileage comes up quick for me.
I currently have over 31,000 on my Vstrom and 24, 000 on the Tenere and decided to I don't need the Tenere anymore since the Vstrom will do everything I want it to so I traded in my Tenere for a new 2014 vstrom 650 and now I have 2 Vstrom 650s. Eventually I will sell the 2012 but don't want to part with it yet. I decided I don't need the extra power and this bike just works for me...just picked it up yesterday so one is fully farkeled and the other bone stock with just 40 miles on it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts