StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Stromers -

I am installing Oxford Adventure grips, Barkbusters and a Kaoko throttle lock on my 2016 DL650. I pulled the left stock grip off last night and noticed it is about 1/4" shorter than the Oxford grip. I'm sh#t w/ an exacto knive and don't really want to trim the Oxford grip. It seems obviously okay, but is there any reason not to loosen the left switch assembly (and mirror if nesc) and move it slightly inboard to accommodate the longer grip? Same thing for the right side, moving the brake assembly slightly inboard? The switch and brake assembly halves are held together using a phillips head screw or bolt. Are they locktited?

Thank you. This is a great website.
Bruce

·
Registered
11 Posts
You might also run into trouble because the handlebar control assemblies are kept in place by detent screws that thread into holes in the handlebars themselves.

You'd be able to get away with this if you re-drill the holes slightly inboard and then mounted the assemblies there... BUT as long as you're going to all that trouble, it might be worth it to upgrade your handlebars at the same time :-D

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang, I never considered that. Hmmmm, why can't things ever be easy! I could drill and tap the handlebar but maybe I'll just trim the grips even though I don't want to. Even better, I'll pull the assembly this weekend and take a look so I know what I'm talking about before I make a decision. Thank you for your feedback.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Greetings Stromers -

I am installing Oxford Adventure grips, Barkbusters and a Kaoko throttle lock on my 2016 DL650. I pulled the left stock grip off last night and noticed it is about 1/4" shorter than the Oxford grip. I'm sh#t w/ an exacto knive and don't really want to trim the Oxford grip. It seems obviously okay, but is there any reason not to loosen the left switch assembly (and mirror if nesc) and move it slightly inboard to accommodate the longer grip? Same thing for the right side, moving the brake assembly slightly inboard? The switch and brake assembly halves are held together using a phillips head screw or bolt. Are they locktited?

Thank you. This is a great website.
Bruce
Trim the Oxford grip shorter. The installation manual tells you how much is safe to cut. You will have a hard time with the throttle grip if it's not cut shorter. Also one you take apart the throttle tube you will find that it has grooves in it. The grooves will have to be removed (I used a dremel, sandpaper and a sanding block will do as well) otherwise you'll feel them through the Oxford throttle grip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Forgot to mention. I've got the oxfords and stock bars as well, and I opted to just trim the bars. It's pretty easy. A 5 minute fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts