StromTrooper banner

Mouth guard for off-road?

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  RydinFool 
#1 ·
Does anyone wear one?

After riding the rough Dalton for several hours, I found myself clenching my teeth a lot.

I never noticed it before when riding dirt roads around where I live, but am seriously considering one now.

#3 ·
I think he means to go in his mouth to protect his teeth like a boxer/fighter/football player, not to cover his mouth/face. Never thought of it; I'm curious to see this answer as well...

#4 ·
What kind of helmet are you using? I'm guessing something other than a full face?

One option could be a dirt helmet:

Back in the day before full face helmets, we used to screw football helmet face guards on our open face helmets (that's all there was) then use duct tape to cover the opening. I don't have a picture, but you get the idea.

Then came the first full face, the Bell Star:

One other option you might consider is a dual sport helmet such as the Arai XD3:
Arai XD3 Motorcycle Helmet 2011 | Jake Wilson

The dual sport helmets are a cross between a dirt and street helmet. They have a mouth guard, a visor, and a shield. The drawback with the dual sport helmets is that wind can be a problem at speed.

Ron :mrgreen:

#7 ·
I ride offroad (enduro racing) and other rides. Its not a problem for me. If you're clenching to much your grip is likely to tight on the bars as well. Loosen up and try chewing gum. It will keep you from clenching to much. If you have a full face you don't need the protection.

#8 ·
If you feel like a mouth guard would be beneficial, then try it out.

I used to use one all of the time. I haven't had one re-made since my last crown, but I don't feel the need for it anymore...

I found myself clenching my teeth while riding on the road. My dental hygienist custom made one for free! Yours may, too...

You can get self fit ones, too.
Most require heating in hot water and fitting to your teeth while hot--follow the instructions...

#9 ·
Try it. No one else's advice will tell you as much.
The cheap self-fit ones at the sports stores work.
I still keep one handy because I sometimes clench my teeth when I sleep. Just wearing it stops the clenching.

#11 ·
#12 ·
I have thought about this a lot. I remember my days of high school football and worry about my teeth/jaw while riding off road. I have a full face helmet but I also know that you can really jolt your mouth simply by falling, especially against a hard surface like rocks and trees. I was wondering about this idea myself but hadn't taken the time to ask, so I am not really surprised by your question but rather by the answers reflecting the fact that no one has mentioned it, yet. I think it's a great idea and I intend to get one of those self fitting ones when my chance to go off road comes back around. I think it's a great idea.

#13 ·
I've ridden and race many thousands of miles off road and have never needed a mouth guard. Crashed many times also. I've never seen anyone from C riders to AA riders ever use one. Get a good quality, good fitting full face helmet and I can't see the need for a mouth guard.

#14 ·
Common Sense

Mouth guard - less than 5 bucks
Trip to the dentist - you do the math

I wear one when I sleep because I grind my teeth, one the bike, a single chipped tooth and subsequent trip to the dentist is not something I want to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.