StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Administrator
13,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I will be mounting an Tutoro Auto Chain oiler soon. The instructions are pretty straight forward but I would like to see how you have mounted it on your Strom and if you are not using the Tutoro oil what are you using (in your Tutoro!)

This thread is not for discussion of other chain oilers, I just want to see how you mounted your Tutoro and not any other oilers.

Thanks,

..Tom

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I made a bracket to mount the nozzle which has worked very well. I'll try to find a photo.

Reactions: V-Tom

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Here are some photos. The oiler was mounted here with a bracket I made out of aluminum angle iron, and held onto the bike with heavy duty zip ties. The nozzle bracket was made out of steel and took a while to get the shape optimized. It mounted to a nice threaded hole at the bottom of the swingarm. (Thanks Suzuki)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Better view of the bracket holding the oil nozzle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I'm using Tutoro. So far so good. Have had a bit of issues getting the flow rate dialed in. The chain has really stayed clean with this system. I had to buy the oil from the UK, so ordered a litre of it.

·
Administrator
13,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm using Tutoro. So far so good. Have had a bit of issues getting the flow rate dialed in. The chain has really stayed clean with this system. I had to buy the oil from the UK, so ordered a litre of it.
I guess there is no one local here supplying the oil?

..Tom

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I guess there is no one local here supplying the oil?

..Tom
No, it is silly they don't just find someone to mail the stuff out for them. I wish Fortnine would get on board. I'm going to write both companies now that I think about it.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I like how neat your installation is! Clever how you use the pit-stand bolt hole!

..Tom
Thanks, just remembered I also mounted a whole bunch of stick on hose holders to keep the run of oil tubing neat and out of the way. Forget where I bought those. I'll try to get a close up tomorrow.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I posted my install with pics in a Tutoro review thread. Apparently that loop is not necessary so when I pull that bracket to paint it I will remove that loop. The auto-oiler is one of my favorite mods, mainly because I hated oiling my chain.

I've been using hydraulic jack oil which is cheap and works fine.

·
Administrator
13,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Administrator
5,557 Posts
I moved my Tutoro onto my Versys 300 Tom. I must get another (unlike alternatives they are both simple to set up and adjust) but like you I have found that Tutoro does not seem to use any distributors anymore which makes the unit and replacement oil inconvenient to obtain.
Some people use ATF but that is not recommended by Tutoro. Using their suggestions for alternative oils I identified this as the most convenient alternative. SKF Chain Oil LHMT 68 / LHHT 265 - SKF Maintenance and Lubrication Products - PDF Catalogs | Technical Documentation | Brochure

Mine just fits behind the passenger footrest guard and misses the chain guard.

·
Administrator
13,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So why on earth are you installing an oiler after all the high mileages you report using the spray lube?
It will be mounted on a new bike. I know how to make chains last over 80,000 km / 50,000 miles doing what I do. I read that auto oiler may be able to do similar.

So my reasons are:

1) I want to have the bike stay cleaner
2) I want to see how chain life will be using an auto oiler
3) I want to also see if slave cylinder life is longer using something that doesn't build up as much.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I think part of my reasoning was that I don't want to carry a can of chain lube with my gear if going away for a day or two. I don't understand how Slave cylinder life comes into play with or without a chain oiler?

Reactions: kdombeck and Big B

·
Administrator
13,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think part of my reasoning was that I don't want to carry a can of chain lube with my gear if going away for a day or two. I don't understand how Slave cylinder life comes into play with or without a chain oiler?
I have had issues with slave cylinders. Some have suggested that the build up of crud in the front sprocket area may contribute to the issues. The lube I use works very well on chains and does build up other parts. I doubt it directly creates the issues as others have had similar issues. I think because I do so much more mileage than most I just see the issues more often.

Using a lube that is a thinner oil and not as sticky should sidestep the build-up issues for the most part.

Anyway sometimes it's worth just trying something different.

..Tom

·
Administrator
16,973 Posts
I have had issues with slave cylinders. Some have suggested that the build up of crud in the front sprocket area may contribute to the issues. The lube I use works very well on chains and does build up other parts. I doubt it directly creates the issues as others have had similar issues. I think because I do so much more mileage than most I just see the issues more often.

Using a lube that is a thinner oil and not as sticky should sidestep the build-up issues for the most part.

Anyway sometimes it's worth just trying something different.

..Tom
That's what is most certainly causing your slaves to leak, you gotta wipe down that chain sometimes my friend with an oily rag or the lube and road crud is going to collect, but yeah I have a feeling the auto oiler will help with the mess behind there if not lubing too much. :)

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Just looked over the bike a moment ago and realized I did not make the front bracket. Must have dreamt that or abandoned the one I did make. This tutoro bracket hasn’t budged with the two beefy ties. Here are a couple more shots of the installation. Couldn’t get a shot of the stick on tube holders as they are on the inside of the swing arm. The Oiler has been turned off for the last 100 miles as I was getting low on oil. The chain has not been cleaned and looks ok to me. But what do I know, you have probably ridden yours 1000 times more than mine which is at at 5000 km. The last 50 miles were on dirt roads.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 58 Posts