StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got all the goodies(RAM) to mount my Garmin GPS and Icom packset on my DL1000. The only problem is, it seems no matter where I position them on the bars, something seems to block my view of the clocks.

Like help? Anyone have pictures of how they did it?

K

·
0 Posts
not sure what your setup is...but here is mine:

Far left is the GPS reciever (garmin), middle (over the speedo) is my handheld (dell) which is linked to the GPS, far right is my radar detector.
i used velcro to attach everything...the velcro under the handheld is cut so i can still read the speed.

i havnt had any trouble with the placement, except that its pretty much impossible to charge my hand held and have anything resembling a right turn radius

since GPS gives your speed super accuratley, you can put it over the speedo w/o any trouble.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Here is a link to my setup. http://www.stromtrooper.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2763

I mounted a CB on the left handlebar with an aluminum bracket I made. Mounted my XM radio on top of the master cylinder, a GPS in the middle of my handlebar with a RAM U-Bolt mount and I made another bracket out of a piece of aluminum for mounting my MixIt2 amplifier, which I use to control all of my toys. None of these things block any of my forward view.

I found out that mounting the GPS in the middle with a RAM mount was the best location for me, but unless you have handlebar risers, you'll have hard time getting your key into ignition switch.

Wingman

·
Registered
640 Posts
middle (over the speedo) is my handheld (dell)
Putting over the speedo might not be a bad idea. THe stock speedo sucks anyway.

Is your handheld waterproof?

I've been thnking about doing a GPS this way, but have been concerned about the thoughness of these units?

·
Registered
178 Posts
My Garmin V doesn't block any of the gauges, though in this photo it may appear too but the angle of the shot is lower than what is seen while in the saddle.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My GPS V is mounted similar to Brads only farther to the left. The RAM clamp is nearly vertical which raises the unit and makes it easier for me to read the really fine print. :roll:

K

·
0 Posts
MATTMAN said:
middle (over the speedo) is my handheld (dell)
Putting over the speedo might not be a bad idea. THe stock speedo sucks anyway.

Is your handheld waterproof?

I've been thnking about doing a GPS this way, but have been concerned about the thoughness of these units?
handheld isnt water proof, when its raining (if i need it out) i put it in my tank bag's map pocket thingy.

mines been pretty thorough. i mostly use it for delivering pizzas (in my truck...sadly they wont let me use the strom) anyway...theres only one subdivision in my delivery area thats not in the GPS software....and a few roads are numbered the same as in the GPS...otherwise its been great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts