StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of driving lights, led, that are quite bright. I want to mount them to the forks. Partially because that is lower, and less likely to bother the oncoming traffic.

my thought was to make a bracket that attaches on the front at the fender mounting point, and runs backwards to that point just behind that the lil reflector mounts on. My concern is squashing the plastic fender, havent taken that hex bolt out, but I am guessing there is a small bushing that might prevent damage to the plastic. If not, I might put one in there...

Any comments on this?

fyi, the lights I am using are here...
Duallys (Set of two)

·
Registered
470 Posts
My concern is squashing the plastic fender, havent taken that hex bolt out, but I am guessing there is a small bushing that might prevent damage to the plastic.
The bolt has a stepped section that acts as a bushing to keep it from compressing the plastic.

I just made up some brackets for some LED running lights this weekend. They're made from about 18 gauge sheet steel and are designed to slip in between the fork and fender. Very solid, and no fear of damaging the plastic.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Clearance while turning - but I'm sure you're on that. I'm not an engineer but thinking a little screw and the threads it goes into meant to secure a fender might not hold up to 1.25 lbs hanging off of 'em.

If that's your bike in your avatar, the downtube on your engine guard (Pat Walsh Designs..?) might be a more secure location. Depending on the beam pattern, you might get a little reflection on the front wheel but the bulbuous front end of the Strom should keep that out of view while riding.

Nice looking lights.

I'd be interested in seeing a pic, Merlin, and your input on how secure it is. My mind is picturing running lights as smaller and less wt?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have LED lights where the orange reflectors use to be. They've been there almost a year now with no problems.

I stuck additional reflectors (actually reflective tape) on the forks to replace the ones I removed.

Should be fine as long as they are LEDs. Filament bulbs might not take well to the shock and vibration down there.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here you go!

This is precisely what I had in mind... I might still use two mounting points due to the nature of the bracket, but that is indeed the location I want to use...

nice!!! Thanks!

I will post pics when done...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just put the same light on my 09.I uses L bracket from the round spot mirror on Big truck You should be able to get them at a Truck Stop. I mounted them to the fender bolt. My deer whistle block part of the picture.
Ritch

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just put the same light on my 09.I uses L bracket from the round spot mirror on Big truck You should be able to get them at a Truck Stop. I mounted them to the fender bolt. My deer whistle block part of the picture.
Ritch
If possible, how about a picture of the front of the bike with the main headlamps and these on at the same time?

·
Registered
47 Posts
If possible, how about a picture of the front of the bike with the main headlamps and these on at the same time?
These were taken with the bike on the center stand. Ritch

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I have a pair of driving lights, led, that are quite bright. I want to mount them to the forks. Partially because that is lower, and less likely to bother the oncoming traffic.
Actually, mounting driving lights low is more likely to bother oncoming traffic. To hit a given point on the road, the lower a light is mounted, the higher it must be aimed, and the more it will shine into the eyes of oncoming drivers. The problem is aggravated with most LED driving lights, or any light without a beam cutoff at the top. To get useful light on the road without blinding oncoming traffic, the best location for driving lights is at or slightly above the height of the headlights.

More of my ranting on this topic: http://www.stromtrooper.com/687950-post8.html

·
Registered
156 Posts
Same Lights

I have the same lights on my DL1000 and have them mounted on an AMS light bar which fits under the front cowl into the holes usually used for the two large plastic rivets,

picture below.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I have my Denali's mounted using the fender bolt. It works well and I've even laid the bike down the light got a little scratched but no other damage.

Heres some pics:

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I decided to go with the cross bar on the walsh... simplicity...

I still need aim them, dang these buggers are way bright...

Note the skinny tire, the only thing available when my shinko bubbled up... back to off road when this wears out...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
finally dark, and I checked the lighting. Damn bright!

I think I want to rotate them out a bit to the sides, but its a great addition even as is...

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Those with the led lights, how well do they light up down the road. Can they reach past high beam range. I want aux lights, but want them for spotting animals I.e. moose, in the ditches on the highway. Lots of people are using these LEDs, but I think for my purposes, a set of Piaa 510 with hid would be a more correct choice, any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am still getting them aimed the way I want, and have been working lots... Not much time for field testing. will let you know.

They are incredibly bright, though. I am more than pleased so far.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Those with the led lights, how well do they light up down the road. Can they reach past high beam range. I want aux lights, but want them for spotting animals I.e. moose, in the ditches on the highway. Lots of people are using these LEDs, but I think for my purposes, a set of Piaa 510 with hid would be a more correct choice, any thoughts?
I went with the LED Rigid flood lights, as I need to save some WATTS. I wanted to run with the light on and my Heated jacket, gloves and grips all at the same time.
I try not ride at nite, and uses these as day time running lite to be seen in the sun and shade spot on the HWY.
You can get these in both flood or spot - the Denali's you can change the lens. And you easily point them to where you want to see.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Looks good and glad to see my concern about the fender screw mounting point was wrong. Seems to be a popular location. Since I have the PWD guard, I'll probably go with that when I get 'em mounted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts