StromTrooper banner

mounting new tire, built 3 years ago

5K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  PerazziMx14 
#1 ·
Silly me for not checking this upon delivery. I bought a pair of Anakee III tires from Revzilla, arrived the first week of August, about 6 weeks ago, and just today I checked the date codes. I'm having a shop install the front today, it was built in early Jan. 2018. That's fine.

The rear will be installed soon, but I found the build date of that tire was in Aug. 2016. It is just over 3 years old (turned 3 on about delivery day to me).

Do I mount the 3 year old tire, or talk to Rev about getting a fresher one? It should be fine at 3 years old, but the reality is that if tires have a 6-10 year service life on the rubber before it goes hard, one half to almost one third of that service life is gone, and I'm only riding 3-4000/year anymore.

Thanks,
Steve.

#3 ·
I would, but tires last me 6 months. How long is it going to take you to wear it out? 4-6k is about the life of a tire anyways unless you are buying rock hard stuff.

#4 ·
Out of curiosity, what tire? Is it a current model or something that is no longer made?

#6 ·
I have a 2000 Mfg. date Trailwing on my 2009 Wee. Still has 3k miles left and looks just fine, no cracks, missing pieces, etc.
It was put on by the previous owner. I have a Battlewing on its way from J&P Cycle...just because.

I would have no issue with that 2016 tire.

#8 ·
You should be just fine unless you plan to push it on wet corners or take it to the track. You can try to push your fingernail into the thread block. I wouldn't worry unless there is no flex in the rubber at all, significant discoloration indicating prolonged sun exposure or cracks in the rubber.

#9 ·
Unless a tire was built in the US it will be about a year and a half old by the time you get it. It has many stops enroute to you. If it is in it's factory wrap and kept in a proper warehouse it doesn't age all that much compared to being on your bike. A big reason for older stock is poor management in the warehouse. First in should be first out. But new tires get piled on top of older ones and no one digs to the bottom. Revzilla's tires shouldn't be 3 years old as they sell a ton of tires. You could give Revzilla a call and see what they can do for you. Maybe rather than send them back get a credit put on your account. And then ride more ;)

#17 ·
Revzilla does or did have a retail store for some clothing. Since the merger with Cycle Gear I do not know if the retail store is still open. Either way back then or today they were predominately a drop shipper utilizing multiple locations/business's around the lower 48 and not a single stocking warehouse.

Revzilla has also recently been selling the Anakee 3's at a huge discount. Not sure if Michelin is discontinuing the tire or trying to move NO

#10 ·
I just called Michelin USA, they said my tires have a 6-year warranty from date of purchase as long as I keep the receipt of purchase (and I will!). If I don't have the receipt the warranty is 6 years from date of manufacture stamped on the tire.

Steve.

#11 ·
I did call Revzilla, they offered to return or swap the tire but he could not assure a tire that is any newer would show up. He said tires are shipped from a separate location. The tires were built in Thailand and arrived to me without factory wrappers, and plastic strapped together with a shipping label wrapped to the tires.

Without assurance of a fresher tire showing up, I'll use this tire, keeping the receipt for mfr. warranty issues, if they arise. Rev put a $25 credit on my account.

Steve.

#12 ·
I don't know about that brand, but all the Conti tires I buy are just strapped together with a shipping label and tape. Never had any sort of factory wrapper - just the MFG stickers right on the tire.

#13 · (Edited)
That's not that bad, dark room no UV, maybe you have lost about 4 to 6 months of life in the 3 year storage. Other comments are all true, I just put same tires on my 14 1000. I ordered through Amazon, not RevZilla. Checked date code both slightly above 2 years old. road 4 trails were long dead way before tire rot becomes and issue. And even if rot becomes an issue show really cares with that timeline.. if your not putting 3k a year on a bike new rubber isn't the worst or most crucial replacement. New rubber always feels great. What about oil, coolant, brake fluid, clutch fluid, valve checks, wheel bearings, etc.

Point being if tires are expiring from dryrot there is a more expensive issue waiting.

#15 ·
DO NOT USE these tires!

Send them to me. I'll see that they are disposed of properly...:wink2:0:)

#16 ·
It's a good thing we have learned to read date codes. I don't know how we managed to survive all those years, running around in total oblivion.

IMO, it's more about how the tire was stored. Something we have to take on faith?

#19 ·
Mostly

I'd get in contact with Revzilla and try to get a newer tire. It'd probably be fine, and you'll probably wear it out before it gets old enough to worry about. But it might not. Things change. A bit of a pain to get tires mounted (at least for me), and the vehicle may be out of service for a bit, so just as well put on a real, new tire.

Of course, if they offer half-off to keep the old 'new' tire, you are on the horns of a dilemma. Is the hassle of maybe replacing a tire sooner worth the saved money? Only you can decide.

#21 · (Edited)
I'd get in contact with Revzilla and try to get a newer tire. It'd probably be fine, and you'll probably wear it out before it gets old enough to worry about. But it might not. Things change. A bit of a pain to get tires mounted (at least for me), and the vehicle may be out of service for a bit, so just as well put on a real, new tire.

Of course, if they offer half-off to keep the old 'new' tire, you are on the horns of a dilemma. Is the hassle of maybe replacing a tire sooner worth the saved money? Only you can decide.
The OP did and when Revzilla could not guarantee and newer tires they offered $25.00 which the OP accepted.

#23 ·
My lesson learned- I do believe I am done buying tires sight unseen online. I'll keep in perspective that I bought these tires from a very reputable online retailer at a significant cost savings, therefore I'll watch the tires carefully, especially the 3-year old rear, and replace sooner than I typically would when the warning signs start to appear. (Hopefully this inspires me to log serious miles on the bike instead of in the car.)

The next set of tires I will see with my own eyes before handing over my cash. And I am not going to kid myself that the local shop WILL bring in a younger tire than the typical online guy will sell me- if I drop off the bike and say to "put on new tires and I'll see you tomorrow", I have no idea where they will come from or how they've been treated, and I won't know their age until I see them mounted. Not anymore. Show me the tires and then I'll decide if they will be mounted.

Yep, buyer beware, and lesson learned.

Steve.

Reactions: Big Boy
#24 · (Edited)
If you buy some modern tires you can't get 3 year old ones, because they won't have been making them that long >:) FWIW, I have no issue buying tires sight unseen, it costs way too much to get them locally. My Conti RA3 and TA3 all came from Revzilla and I mount them so I guess if I ever saw something I didn't like then I would worry about it. I typically have a spare set for each bike laying around in the garage, so no matter what they are likely to sit for 6 months

#27 ·
Objectively speaking, correct, I was not wronged. I was not misled. I just may not have known the whole story, one that an online retailer is not capable of telling me. Buyer beware for me now means that buying tires online may be a gamble, that you won't know the cards you are dealt until after your credit card is charged and the tires show up a few days later, only then will you discover the age of the tire. Buying MC tires online won't be the same as buying in a more local manner where you can see the tires with your own eyes before putting down your cash. Frankly, it is not possible for an online retailer to tell you how old that tire is before you hand over your cash.

And although buying a new tire that may have had some extended shelf time may not mean much to a high annual mile rider, it may mean something to a rider who has other diversions in life that prevent high mile riding seasons. This is neither a good or bad thing, it is simply a fact. A tire buyer who needs a tire to last more of the full expected service life of a more freshly built tire (as I am now) probably should look to buy them locally vs. online.

If you are a 5-7000 mile per year rider (as I used to be) buying online may make sense for the pricing deals to be had on a tire that may have been in storage for a few years, and the fact that you'll use up that tire within its expected design service life.

So, yes, buyers should be aware of what they are buying, they should weigh the pros and cons of their buying choices and act accordingly.

Steve.

#28 ·
Bricks and mortar shops rarely stock a lot of tires. Its is an unnecessary overhead as they can not predict what people want or the sizes they need so they rely on a tire warehouse (same ones internet retailers use) to make daily/weekly deliveries once they find out what the buyer wants. Your chances of walking into a shop asking for a certain brand tire in a specific size that is 2 years or less in age is almost zero.

Buying online typically saves between 25 and 50% verses buying from a bricks and mortar. So even if the B&M shop could get you a 1 year newer tire is spending 25 to 50% more worth it?

#30 ·
Nothing wrong with a 3 yr old tire. Ride normally and don't worry.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.