StromTrooper banner

161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Sorry to hear about all the problems you've been having. The only problem I've had is the power thing. I ordered mine before they shipped so I have one of the early versions - no blue LED power cube, I'm afraid. But I did install a push on/push off button just in front of the seat release key which works pretty well. I will check to see if anything resets. When I changed the battery in the bike I didn't see any resets so I wouldn't think this one would. I am going to check the version of the firmware to see if it needs updating. Thanks for the tip.

For the camera mounting, I have my front camera mounted to the underside of the beak. I made a custom mount with some aluminum bar stock and it seems to be pretty good. It's not really Youtube quality, but it is good enough in case I need something for documentation or for insurance, which is what I bought it for. I posted pictures of the mounting at the beginning of this thread.

On the question of Blue tooth vs. WiFi, blue tooth 2.1 has a range of about 100m and blue tooth 5 has a range of about 400m and up to 1000m in the open field. Blue tooth 2.1 had a data throughput of up to 3 mbs which is more than adequate for video transmission. So, I think that I have to disagree and that I still would prefer to see a low power solution like blue tooth or perhaps a split option - Blue tooth for control and WiFi if you really need high bandwidth.

But, that's just a wish.

Cheers

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,111 Posts
You can prefer Bluetooth all you want, but the fact is that BT just doesn't have the capacity to transmit HD video. 3.0 Mbit/s won't do it. Video over BT is technically possible (at a low resolution, quality, and framerate) but not worth doing. That is probably the main reason there isn't a single dashcam/action cam product that uses BT instead of WiFi.

I think I may have solved my mounting problem. I redeployed some of the rubber discs that came with the K2 kit. Windshield still vibrates a lot, especially at highway speeds. Can't fix that. But, camera is no longer rigidly mounted to the accessory shelf behind the windshield, which helps a lot.

That said, the rubber cushioning discs are falling apart. They have not dealt with exposure to the sun very well. I need to find rubber that stands up better, or else resign myself to replacing them every few months.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,111 Posts
Confirmed, the power supply is yet again malfunctioning.

Over the last week, I've had the K2 both fail to power up when I turn on the bike, and turn off for no apparent reason while riding. Repeatedly. Not every time, which is the nature of the problem - it's intermittent.

The not-turning-on thing is new.

This is absolutely infuriating. I contacted the vendor, who promised to contact the manufacturer to figure out WTF to do.

Meanwhile, I think I found a workaround. It is possible to power the DVR through its micro USB power, found under the rubber flap next to the SD card slot.

I can power the system from the USB charger in my 12V socket, since the "proper" power supply is not reliable.

A drawback to this approach: the DVR cannot shut down as intended. It gets turned off suddenly So, the last 2 video clips being recorded are corrupted & unplayable.

No big deal. I can mostly work around that by using 1-minute clips. I typically don't need to record anything happening during the 1 minute before I turn the bike off.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,111 Posts
Nope, that didn't work. There seems to be an overheating problem, which has become apparent with warmer weather.

On one ride, the K2 was extremely hot to the touch when I got home. I removed the SD card, and it was abnormally hot as well. The card doesn't work properly now. It either cannot be accessed, or will seem to work briefly but then not be recognized by the PC. It must have been damaged by the extreme overheating.

As to why the DVR would overheat: possibly a flaw in the v0.6x firmware branch. I've rolled back to v0.57 because that's what I had for the ~4 months when my K2 worked perfectly, in the winter and early spring.

Testing has not been possible this week because my front tire started falling apart. It is taking longer than it should to get a new one, so I'm not riding in the meantime. Running the K2 in my garage wouldn't really prove anything.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,111 Posts
No. I rolled back to the stock v0.57 firmware on 6/1. Had a few rides of normal function, then yesterday the K2 didn't log GPS at all for half the ride. For no apparent reason.

In today's ride it shut itself off for no reason after maybe half an hour, and wouldn't stay on when manually restarted (big silver button).

I can't say for sure whether the DVR overheated today. Didn't feel it after I parked.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,111 Posts
More data:

6/6, K2 quit about 30 minutes after leaving home, in city riding, including about 10 minutes of freeway riding each way (so, maybe 20 minutes total). Manual restart attempted, K2 would not stay on, gave up and left it off for the trip home.

6/7 (today), K2 quit about 20 minutes after leaving home, again city riding, no freeway until the trip home. As before, K2 would not stay on after attempted manual restart when I noticed it had turned itself off.

Tried again after taking the freeway most of the way back home. K2 stayed on for the next 10 minutes or so (until I got home and turned off the bike).

Observation: all clips after the K2 initially turned itself off for no reason, are missing GPS data, despite GPS logging being turned on.

DVR disconnected and being sent back to vendor for further analysis.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,111 Posts
Vendor replaced the DVR. This will be my third.

It came with the newest, v0.70 firmware. I'll stick with that for the time being.

I fully expect this unit to fail like the last two. We'll see.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,111 Posts
Wow, that was fast. I got exactly one ride with the K2 working normally.

On a ride the next day, it shut down at some point (maybe after I stopped for gas?) and stayed off when it should have been on.

When I stopped again, turned off the bike, gave it 30 seconds or so, then started back up, the K2 turned on and stayed on for the rest of the trip.

Vendor has sent new cameras, as that (and the GPS antenna) are the only parts that haven't been replaced.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,111 Posts
New cameras installed. Rear one had a big chip in the lens. Must have happened at the factory, because it was there before I removed the protective sticker. Asked vendor for replacement.

Newest DVR definitely didn't fix the "K2 turns off for no reason" problem. Maybe the new cameras will. Leaving GPS antenna unplugged for now, to rule it out as the problem.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,111 Posts
Yeah that did nothing. Still with the random turnings-off, even with new cameras and GPS disconnected.

Just for giggles I tried the v0.57 firmware, since that was what was on the K2 the last time I had it operate reliably.

The only thing I haven't tried at this point, is changing around the installation. So I'm trying that. DVR is now mounted just in front of my top case. Cameras are swapped, which they had to be since one cable is so much longer than the other. Power cube is now under the seat.

If it works this way, DVR won't stay there, but I didn't want to have to take the seat off to see its status LEDs in the meantime.

Now for more test rides.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,111 Posts
Nope, that didn't work either. v0.57 firmware had no effect on the randomly-turns-off problem, so I re-flashed to v0.70 (latest one).

Moving the DVR to the rear got it away from one heat source (radiator), but put it in direct sunlight. That may be the problem now.

Riding in the heat and sun of afternoon, the DVR turned itself off within half an hour. I didn't try powering it back up.

Around sunset, we went for another ride. K2 stayed on 100% of the 20+ mile trip, both ways.

The air hadn't cooled off a lot, but there was much less direct sunlight - almost none, on the return trip.

I've installed a crude plastic sun shield over the DVR. I suspect that if the problem is in fact due to excess heat, stopping direct sunlight from hitting the DVR will help a lot.

161 - 172 of 172 Posts