StromTrooper banner

141 - 160 of 208 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Vendor sent me yet another new K2 power supply. This will be my third. Ugh.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
New power supply installed. Held to the frame with shipping tape for the time being. I'm not mounting it permanently (with 3M VHB) until it's proven itself.

So far, so good. K2 turns on and stays on any time the engine is running, or as long as the battery is providing >12V. Really, it shouldn't be possible to hit the voltage cutoff while sitting with electrics on but engine not running, unless you have a weak battery or are running heated gear with the engine off (which would be silly).

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
I've left the new (third overall!) power supply taped to outside of frame. It doesn't really get in the way, and is supposed to be weatherproof, so other than it looking nasty no problems leaving it there.

I've now had several weeks of trouble-free operation of the K2. I'm starting to wonder if there is something the power supply doesn't like about being mounted inside the frame. Maybe that killed the last two power supplies? But I don't understand how. It doesn't get particularly hot there, and there's plenty of other electrical wiring in that vicinity that is unharmed.

If vibration were an issue, you'd think that being taped to the frame on one side would be just as bad as the other.

Anyway I'm leaving it, since it works for now.

Back to the original topic of this thread: I experimented with a different mounting location for the front camera. I have a "GPS shelf" bracket thing that came with the bike. I wanted to try hanging the front camera off the bottom of it, so that it would be looking through the hole in my CalSci windshield and be a little shaded from the sun.

This experiment was unsuccessful. To get enough clearance, I had to raise both the shelf/bracket and my Madstad bracket to the upper rather than lower set of holes. The result is not stiff enough, and vibrates visibly at higher speeds. Front camera video is spoiled accordingly.

If that was confusing, it'll make more sense with photos. I'll try to remember to take some when I put the windshield back in the lower position this evening.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Technically it is the windshield bracket I will be moving lower. But it does mean the windshield's range of movement will be overall lower.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if there is something the power supply doesn't like about being mounted inside the frame.
I don't recall where inside the frame you had previously mounted the power supply, and I don't know if the '07 is the same as the '14. But on the '14 there are ignition coils mounted just inside the frame under the tank. If I recall correctly, they are about 1/4 of the way up the tank from where it meets the seat. At any rate, there are coils there on the right side and presumably also on the left (in a similar location) for the other cylinder. If your power supply cube was near them, it may have been taking interference from the high voltage on the spark wire...especially if your spark wires have any damage or cracks in their sheathing. Moving it to the outside of the frame may have provided enough metal shielding to eliminate the interference.

I actually thought about mounting my SpeedoDRD down in that area since there are some factory wiring harness connectors there to gain access to vehicle speed cable between the ECU and the Speedometer. However, since I didn't have the required male/female connectors AND because of the proximity of those ignition coils, I decided to install it inside the console instead.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
You'd think the power supply would be shielded against EMI, at least to some degree. Neither Innovv nor the vendor ever suggested a possible EMI issue.

For all I know, the power supply would have started working fine again if installed in another location. I can say for sure that they didn't start malfunctioning until some time after being installed inside the frame. For the first two, I taped them to the outside of the frame until I was satisfied everything was working, & wouldn't need to be moved again.

Photos later so this is easier to understand.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Here's one photo. Looking down on the rear cylinder head, front of bike is up:

Power supply is taped to outside of frame - you can see the wires leading to it.

Other ones were mounted to inner side of frame.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Went back and cleaned up the K2 power supply install. Instead of clear tape, it's now held on with self-almalgamating silicone tape (aka Xtreme Tape):

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Completely reliable for the past month.

I cannot possibly guess why the power supply didn't like being installed inside the frame, but it sure didn't. It's still doing fine in the location shown above, so I'll leave it there.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Well, it's been about 18 months since I started this thread, so I thought I'd give an update. The K2s cameras are still working fine and give a good clear picture. I mounted them primarily for protection and so am not really worried about video quality other than that they can see license plates, which they can in the in the day up to 33 feet (10m). At night they tend to get washed out pretty badly.

I haven't had any problem with the power supply directly. One fuse got blown, somehow, but after replacement never blew again. I have a hard time believing that the power supply would shut down purely from external EMI. I can believe that a large H field may cause it to shut down so you may be on to something if it has problems around the coils. I have mine mounted next to the fuses on the left side and it's never had a problem.

The biggest problem that I have is that they thing is a real power guzzler when the bike is off. If I don't ride the bike for a week the battery's dead. If I pull the fuse, then I can leave it for a month and start it right up again. I think I'm going to mount a switch on the 12V line so I can turn it off when it's in the garage.

The Software is a bit clunky but it works. I wicsh it was Blue Tooth rather than WiFi.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Regarding the power consumption when in sleep mode... Do you have the new power cube? The new design has a blue LED on it and is purported to consume considerably less power in sleep mode.

I haven't timed it officially, but if I recall correctly it was about 2 weeks before it turned itself off and then the engine started right up about a week later.

I have all the parking features turned off.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Same thoughts, Grimmer.

No problems with the K2 since I moved the power supply to outside of frame, except some minor firmware glitches I'll go into below.

I do put the bike on a battery tender whenever it's parked at home, but that's just so the battery lasts longer, not because the K2 was draining the battery. Occasionally I park overnight where I don't have a battery tender, no starting problems the next day.

I'm confident enough in the "new," blue-LED-equipped K2 power cube that I had no problem wiring its power & ground directly to the battery. I don't use parking mode either, but this configuration works, so I'm sticking with it.

There's some news in the firmware world, BTW. Innovv's original v0.67 release for the K2 was flawed. If you used the new "Turn off WiFi after 5 minutes" or "Turn off WiFi after 10 minutes" options, the K2 would also stop logging GPS at the same time. At least two of us who are active on the Innovv forums verified this.

What you want is either the "new" v0.67, dated 10 April 2020, or Frostie's modified high-bitrate v0.68 firmware. I'm using the latter now, and have verified that both new v0.67 and Frostie's v0.68 have fixed the above GPS problem.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
The Software is a bit clunky but it works. I wicsh it was Blue Tooth rather than WiFi.

Cheers!
No, you really don't want BT instead of WiFi on the K2. No advantages, significant disadvantages.

-BT is super slow. Far too slow to transmit a live HD video feed, so you wouldn't be able to use the phone app for aiming the cameras.

-For the same reason, BT would be useless for downloading video clips from the K2. Even the WiFi tries my patience when downloading more than 1-2 video clips, but it's much faster than BT would be.

-WiFi connection is more reliable & robust than BT. BT devices often have disappointingly short ranges, and only work if there's a clear line of sight. I've had far more problems getting BT stuff to connect, and stay connected, than with WiFi.

With the latest K2 firmware release (10 April 2020 v0.67) you can set the WiFi to turn off after 5 or 10 minutes, if the WiFi being on annoys you for some reason.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Interesting news about the firmware. I haven't changed the firmware from what it came as when replaced by the manufacturer. So it should easily pre-date the flawed firmware.

Have you seen any advantages to the newer firmware? I just looked mine up, it is v.61

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I think I'm going to mount a switch on the 12V line so I can turn it off when it's in the garage.
Will cutting the power reset all the settings?
I had mine reset once, but I don't know if that was from loss of power or some internal defect.

Mine was replaced after that and other glitches. It appears to be working fine since then; however, it hasn't tangled with bumpy dirt roads since the swap out.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
My K2 went completely to crap yesterday. I don't know WTF happened, but I was idling the bike in the garage to see where "warm idle" was at, when it started shutting off for no reason again.

That is, the same "turn on, refuse to connect even though I can see the WiFi signal briefly, then shut off for no reason" thing that I previously saw with bad power supplies.

I wanted to download video of my sweet jump the other day, but eventually had to pull the SD card. The last few video files were *.ts format (introduced in v0.64 firmware), indicating the DVR had reset itself to defaults. I always record .mp4's, but *.ts is the default since v0.64.

I had to satisfy myself with that indirect evidence of the DVR taking a dump, as I could not get it to connect to WiFi on my phone, therefore could not view the settings in the app.

And things were going so well! The K2 had worked perfectly just a few hours previously, recording my rides to and from a bike shop to get blown fork seals looked at.

One thing at a time. I have a bigger issue with the engine cutting out for no good reason, that I need to solve first.

Innovv finally put up a proper firmware download page. Versions newer than v0.61 introduce various bugfixes. The biggest change since v0.61 is probably the v0.67 WiFi shutoff feature:

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
K2 is working fine today, go figure.

I was too exhausted to go into detail yesterday, but the flakiness yesterday may have had something to do with heat. I had been idling the bike in the garage to observe "warm idle" speed and probably left it a bit too long.

Bike was fine - it didn't overheat, though it would have, eventually. I already had the garage door cracked open. Also turned on a fan and pointed it at the front of the bike, to help it cool off.

But the K2 just would not stay on. Maybe that's some kind of self-protection feature? It's not right next to the radiator but it is mounted inside the fairing, and the DVR may have been soaking up some serious heat from the bike's radiator.

Have the bike back together to take it to a shop, like I said K2 is being totally normal so far. Just went for a test ride, no issues.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
K2 still working fine.

However, I'm going to have to revisit the main topic of this thread.

Mounting the front camera on that GPS shelf thing (or whatever it originally was, PO put it on not me) is not working. It's fine under 30 mph, but above that pretty much garbage. Too much vibration, especially on the highway. Video is almost nausea-inducing.

Unfortunately, I don't know where else I can put the front cam. There is nothing solid to hang it off of, on the underside of the fairing. Crash bars aren't a great option. They vibrate too much, and I don't want to put the camera way off to one side, rather have it more or less centrally mounted.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Nope, it's doing it again - shutting off for no damned reason.

Went for a ride around town today. I wasn't consciously looking at my phone, but must have noticed that the WiFI connection went away. Pulled over and yep - typical bullcrap. Powers up most of the way, then turns itself off, despite the engine running and a strong battery.

When I got home, I pulled the SD card since the K2 wouldn't stay on long enough to even browse the video files. I had normal recording, then suddenly, a series of abnormally small (~10 MB to 50 MB Or so) files from where I tried to power it up, but it wouldn't stay on.

I'm done with this piece of junk. I've had every piece except the GPS antenna and the 2 cameras replaced, twice. It still won't stay on.

I guess it's time to sell this garbage, or just throw it in the trash, and try another system. Maybe that Thinkware M1. It was released several months after I'd already purchased and been struggling with the K2.

I basically wasted $300 on the K2. Oh well, nothing to be done about it at this point.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,573 Posts
Even screwier behavior yesterday. There were periods of half an hour or more where the K2 was connected to phone WiFi, and appeared to be working normally...but either wasn't recording video at all, or the files are abnormally small and corrupted.

It seems completely random.

I did make some progress in re-mounting the front camera so it should vibrate less. However, can't tell whether it worked, because the entire time I was on the highway, the K2 chose not to record!

This is damned frustrating.

Not so sure about the Thinkware M1. From reviews I've been reading, it sounds decidedly underwhelming, especially at the price point.

141 - 160 of 208 Posts