StromTrooper banner

141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
New power supply installed. Held to the frame with shipping tape for the time being. I'm not mounting it permanently (with 3M VHB) until it's proven itself.

So far, so good. K2 turns on and stays on any time the engine is running, or as long as the battery is providing >12V. Really, it shouldn't be possible to hit the voltage cutoff while sitting with electrics on but engine not running, unless you have a weak battery or are running heated gear with the engine off (which would be silly).

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
I've left the new (third overall!) power supply taped to outside of frame. It doesn't really get in the way, and is supposed to be weatherproof, so other than it looking nasty no problems leaving it there.

I've now had several weeks of trouble-free operation of the K2. I'm starting to wonder if there is something the power supply doesn't like about being mounted inside the frame. Maybe that killed the last two power supplies? But I don't understand how. It doesn't get particularly hot there, and there's plenty of other electrical wiring in that vicinity that is unharmed.

If vibration were an issue, you'd think that being taped to the frame on one side would be just as bad as the other.

Anyway I'm leaving it, since it works for now.

Back to the original topic of this thread: I experimented with a different mounting location for the front camera. I have a "GPS shelf" bracket thing that came with the bike. I wanted to try hanging the front camera off the bottom of it, so that it would be looking through the hole in my CalSci windshield and be a little shaded from the sun.

This experiment was unsuccessful. To get enough clearance, I had to raise both the shelf/bracket and my Madstad bracket to the upper rather than lower set of holes. The result is not stiff enough, and vibrates visibly at higher speeds. Front camera video is spoiled accordingly.

If that was confusing, it'll make more sense with photos. I'll try to remember to take some when I put the windshield back in the lower position this evening.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Technically it is the windshield bracket I will be moving lower. But it does mean the windshield's range of movement will be overall lower.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if there is something the power supply doesn't like about being mounted inside the frame.
I don't recall where inside the frame you had previously mounted the power supply, and I don't know if the '07 is the same as the '14. But on the '14 there are ignition coils mounted just inside the frame under the tank. If I recall correctly, they are about 1/4 of the way up the tank from where it meets the seat. At any rate, there are coils there on the right side and presumably also on the left (in a similar location) for the other cylinder. If your power supply cube was near them, it may have been taking interference from the high voltage on the spark wire...especially if your spark wires have any damage or cracks in their sheathing. Moving it to the outside of the frame may have provided enough metal shielding to eliminate the interference.

I actually thought about mounting my SpeedoDRD down in that area since there are some factory wiring harness connectors there to gain access to vehicle speed cable between the ECU and the Speedometer. However, since I didn't have the required male/female connectors AND because of the proximity of those ignition coils, I decided to install it inside the console instead.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
You'd think the power supply would be shielded against EMI, at least to some degree. Neither Innovv nor the vendor ever suggested a possible EMI issue.

For all I know, the power supply would have started working fine again if installed in another location. I can say for sure that they didn't start malfunctioning until some time after being installed inside the frame. For the first two, I taped them to the outside of the frame until I was satisfied everything was working, & wouldn't need to be moved again.

Photos later so this is easier to understand.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Here's one photo. Looking down on the rear cylinder head, front of bike is up:

Power supply is taped to outside of frame - you can see the wires leading to it.

Other ones were mounted to inner side of frame.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Went back and cleaned up the K2 power supply install. Instead of clear tape, it's now held on with self-almalgamating silicone tape (aka Xtreme Tape):

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Completely reliable for the past month.

I cannot possibly guess why the power supply didn't like being installed inside the frame, but it sure didn't. It's still doing fine in the location shown above, so I'll leave it there.

141 - 149 of 149 Posts