StromTrooper banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Here's a question for you...

Previously, my DVR also included a "serialization" in the file name by inserting a 001, 002, etc. between the timestamp and the "F" or "R". It appears that the new DVR (with the latest firmware) no longer inserts the serialization.

Have you seen this on your new DVR as well? If it has changed, I wonder if the DashCam viewer has been updated to account for this new file name scheme (or maybe it has always ignored the serialization).

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
I don't know how Dashcam Viewer actually parses the video files. I haven't dug into the documentation yet.

Might be worth bringing up with the developer.

I'm pretty sure my K2 is still putting sequential numbers on the video files. I'm not sure what firmware version I have, but I'll check on both things.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Yes, still getting sequence numbers in file names.

Firmware v0.57, app version 1.5.3.

I noticed one other thing: timestamps on the video files are all off by an hour. My phone automagically adjusted for daylight savings time, but the K2 didn't.

Is there any way to change that? I couldn't find any setting for DST/lack of DST.

I'd rather just use Zulu time, but there doesn't seem to be any option for that either.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I think mine said it was 0.64 or something like that... I'll have to check as well.

I think there is a setting through the App that allows you to choose the time zone (or may be called "offset") with a "switch" for day light savings. If I recall correctly there are some settings under camera/recording, and others under system... It's been a while. I'll have to check this afternoon.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
V0.61 seems to be the most current firmware, released near the end of August. Don't think it fixes anything for me so no need to update.

I'll stick with the older firmware, if the new one is going to take away file sequence numbers. Those are much easier to work with than time stamps.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Apparently the DVR grabs time off your phone when the app is connected, if you fiddle with the settings sufficiently:

https://www.innovv.com/forum/innovv-k2/how-to-adjust-time-stamp

This morning was the first time I connected the app to the K2 since the time change. DVR clock was an hour off but was correct when I connected again a couple of hours later, so it must have synced itself.

I also amused myself by accessing the K2 through its Web portal:

https://www.innovv.com/forum/innovv-k2/how-to-access-hidden-features

You can even get the K2 on your home WiFi. Although if I wanted to do that, I'd probably unplug the bike-side power supply and use the 5V USB input, with a USB charger plugged into garage wall power.

Now that I've had the K2 running reliably for a while, I think I'll try one of the higher-bitrate firmwares.

There is a build of the v0.57 firmware that boosts front and rear cameras to 20 Mbit/s from their default (12.something Mbit/s IIRC). Should improve image quality. Still well within the capability of the SD card (40 Mbit/s is only about 5 Mbyte/s).

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
FWIW, I found this thread on the Innovv forums describing the v0.61 firmware:

https://www.innovv.com/forum/innovv-k2/new-v61-firmware-what-is-it-for

No mention of removal of file serialization/sequence numbers.

Since it's relatively easy to change firmwares, if I can't get any answers there perhaps I'll try v0.61 myself. I can always go back to v0.57 if the newer one does indeed remove the numbers.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I had to do the brakes on my wife's car last night so I didn't get around to double checking the filename structure. Hopefully I didn't just get used to seeing them and overlook their presence. I'll try to get a look tonight.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Checked the files... a section of the list is below:

10/26/2019 09:53 AM 92,113,197 20191026_105215_F.MP4
10/26/2019 09:53 AM 92,161,297 20191026_105215_R.MP4
10/26/2019 09:54 AM 92,127,901 20191026_105309_F.MP4
10/26/2019 09:54 AM 92,089,101 20191026_105310_R.MP4
10/26/2019 09:54 AM 65,455,745 20191026_105409_F.MP4
10/26/2019 09:54 AM 65,448,333 20191026_105410_R.MP4
10/26/2019 10:31 AM 92,121,773 20191026_113031_F.MP4
10/26/2019 10:31 AM 92,095,073 20191026_113031_R.MP4

I suspect the Underline and Italics are the reasons why the other video disappears sometimes in DashCam Viewer (or sometimes it repeats the previous Rear file on me instead of going blank).

Also, the serialization is definitely missing.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Dashcam Viewer is supposed to support the K2 v0.61 firmware. I would email the developer, he may have missed something.

That's weird that they removed the serial #'s. But it seems to be intentional, according to the official Innovv forums.

My work Internet sucks so I can't get the forum to load right now, but there's a .pdf available there listing every firmware and app version and the changes each introduces.

Weather and errands have convinced me not to ride to/from work the last couple of days, so haven't tested the new higher-bitrate firmware yet.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Yep, the higher-bitrate firmware seems to work. Movies are now ~466 MB for a 3-minute clip. This reduces card capacity to just under 7 hours before it starts to loop.

OK for daily use. Might want to get a larger card for long trips, just in case.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
FWIW, I had a little hiccup yesterday, but I'm not entirely sure what happened.

I was riding home on the interstate when I noticed the K2 was not on.

I wasn't able to stop for a while, but when I did, I turned the bike off completely (key off), then back on, starting the engine right away. The K2 powered up, and stayed on rest of the trip home. It worked normally during my next few (short) rides too, as it's been doing the last few weeks.

I may have fallen victim to a sort of loophole in the power supply logic. It looks like it is possible that, if you turn the bike's electrics on, but wait too long to start the engine, the K2 may shut down and then not come up once you start the engine. I've asked for clarification on the Innovv forums.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Any update on your situation, Grimmer?

Innovv has not yet answered my question on the power supply logic "loophole" I proposed above. However, I've adopted the practice of never sitting with the bike "on" but engine not running, for more than a few seconds. So far, this seems to be working. I haven't had the K2 mysteriously shut off partway into a ride again, yet.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I'll go check the files now.

I have not had any problems since swapping out the power supply (unless the most recent round of files is corrupt).

Also seems I need to put in the bigger SD card... I think it is still running the 32GB that came with the replacement.

Have you considered replacing your battery? Not sure how old it is, but all of my recent automotive battery troubles were preceeded (i.e. detected) by unusually quick power/voltage drop offs. For example, the battery in the wife's car got so that listening to the radio for 30 minutes or running the cabin lights for similarly short times would prevent starting. Although otherwise it would start up just fine. Within a couple of months it crapped out completely (started fine then next time after exiting the store it was totally dead). A replacement battery not only restored it to being able to run accessories or forgotten lights for extended periods, but it started quicker too. Got so used to it, didn't realize how weak it really had gotten. Sucks getting stranded... I now replace all my automotive batteries at 5 years of service, just so the wife and kids don't get stuck somewhere over something so trivial and inexpensive.

If you are interested in a new battery, I replaced my motorcycle battery with a Yuasa GYZ16H. Same package as OEM but with higher CCA and higher capacity (also weighs more). Got mine from RockyMountainATV, although they didn't list it as compatible with the Vee2. But I double checked the manufacturer's part number through other sources before ordering and it does fit perfectly.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Battery will be 3 years old in February or so, probably time to pull it for a load test. Measures a healthy 12.8v at rest, never the slightest starting problem, but that isn't the final word.

The "new" power supply is supposed to shut off the K2 if it sees 12.1v or less for at least 10 seconds. If that happened from sitting with electrics on but engine off, I suppose it's possible the engine would still start.

But then the K2 should turn itself back on, as soon as it sees the normal charging voltage (14.5v on my bike) for at least 10 seconds (iirc).

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
More wacky behavior, but a clue that the K2 power supply is sensitive to battery condition in some way.

A few days ago I had a situation where I was repeatedly stopping and starting the engine. I never wore the battery down enough that it wouldn't start, but at some point the K2 would not finish powering up. Voltage monitor indicated charging voltage of at least 12.9V, but apparently this was not enough.

I then rode around for about an hour and a half, giving the battery a chance to get a good charge.

Then I stopped, shut down the engine, and started off again.

The K2 powered up and worked normally the rest of the way home.

I'm taking the battery to get load-tested today. Might be time for a new one. Even though I'm not having any starting problems, there seems to be something about the battery's state that the K2 does not like.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Turns out the old battery was pretty much toast. FWIW, it was a Cycle Gear store-brand, a MegaBoost Platinum.

While I had not yet had any starting problems, the battery was only holding 12.01V when fully charged. They tried to load-test it, put it on a charger for a bit, then tried to test it again, but it made the load-testing device display an error message.

Sure, it's possible their load testing device was out of whack, but I previously had measured the low-ish resting voltage myself. So I decided it was time for a new battery. 2 years and 6 months isn't a bad run.

I'm still not sure how this figures into the K2 acting wacky, but does point to the need for good battery health. I'll stick to my policy of not sitting with the electrics on but engine off, regardless.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
If it was only holding 12.01V, that is right on the line where the K2 power cube will cut power to the camera. The load from the bike's electrics could easily drop it below the cut-off.

Not sure how solid the logic in the cube is for switching on and off, but the Thinkware camera in my car also gets confused from time to time when the ignition is cycled before it finishes its transition from parking mode to active and back. (Like when pulling in and out of the garage.)

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
I perhaps wasn't clear - 12.01V was the voltage measured with the battery removed from the bike.

With the engine running, there would have been 14.5V provided at the terminals. I can say for certain the voltage there was at least 12.9V w/engine running, because that's the minimum for my voltage monitor LED to be "happy steady green." Voltage monitor is connected directly to the battery terminals.

In light of that, I don't understand why the K2 power supply would say "not enough volts, chief, I'm shutting 'er down" with the engine running. But that's what it did.

Go figure.

I needed a new battery anyway, and I'm pleased I got it for such a good price ($75 + tax after a $25 off coupon, lucky me!).

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
New battery made no difference. I kept getting random shutdowns. Today was particularly bad. At least a half dozen poweroffs with perfectly good power.

There's no reason the damned thing should turn itself off with 14.5V present, but that's what it keeps doing.

121 - 140 of 149 Posts