StromTrooper banner

101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
No prob. I think having the power cube easily accessible will help a lot, in the event I have the same shutdown problems again.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Ryan emailed over the weekend to make a few more suggestions.

He says my old DVR is working perfectly on the bench. I'm sure that's true - problem was that it didn't work in the real world.

Obviously, a good ground is important. I've never had any trouble with the grounds on my aftermarket fuse panel (it's a Blue Sea Systems ST Blade Fuse Block, specifically this one: https://www.bluesea.com/products/5028/ST_Blade_Fuse_Block_-_6_Circuits_with_Cover). Even so, just for giggles, I placed the ground for the new power brick on the ever-growing stack of rings on my battery negative terminal.

I also swapped SD cards with my car dashcam (a Viofo A129 Duo). I've had zero problems with the car dashcam using that card, so I swapped it to the K2 and formatted it.

So far so good, but it's only been a few days and a few short rides.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I finally got an email with tracking info and the same "your DVR is working perfectly for 2 days on the bench".

I'd bet that he is powering it with the USB cable. He needs to try the power cubes. And perhaps a shaker/vibrato to simulate closer to the real world.

I'm hoping the new revision of the power cube will have a much lower off state current draw and a more stable supply to the DVR when on.

And hopefully I won't have the mismatched connector issues that you had...

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
So far so good. Rode for a few hours over the weekend, including one 2-hour trip. No mysterious K2 shutoffs. It's staying on during my commutes as well.

If I go another couple of weeks, and longer rides, without more shutoffs, I'll guess I'll call this "solved."

Makes no sense though that the K2 wouldn't like the ground on my fuse panel. If there were a problem, it should have been causing problems with all the other accessories I have connected there. Maybe the K2 power supply is extremely sensitive.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Another few rides down, no mysterious power-offs. I'm starting to think the issue is fixed.

I can't explain why that would be the case. There is literally zero measurable difference between battery post ground, and fuse panel ground.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Installed the replacement DVR today. It also had the different connectors and so I had to swap out the GPS antenna. I also swapped out the power adapter (but had planned that anyway).

I took the opportunity to redo all my extra tail light wiring since the extra length of wire was filling about half of my underseat compartment. I couldn't bring myself to cut all the nice eastern beaver harnesses on my first go around. But after adding the K2 DVR and all its wires it was just too full.

Anyway, trimmed out all the extra wires and was able to basically get everything out of the box. I am also trying out something new... I put self adhering velcro strips under the top lip of the underseat box and stuck my wig-wag module and the K2's power module up there.

Also, found a place to stuff the excess K2 wires (which I couldn't shorten).

At the end of it all, the underseat box is now completely empty (except for the actual DVR) without sacrificing any of the electrical dohickies...

Still need to figure out how and where the stick the DVR to the underseat box (using velcro) to cushion and hold it still.

It powered up and connected to the app with good video so far (<5 minute test). Hopefully I'll get some test rides in soon. It's gonna get cold and wet here for the next couple of days. They are predicting valley snow for tomorrow morning.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Resized_20191019_000937_1571465967910.jpeg

Factory wiring harnesses were already located on the left side of the photo. The eastern beaver harnesses added to them of course, but all in all almost all of the original storage space was reclaimed.

I usually carry a set of those short loop straps for connecting tie down virtually anywhere on the bike without leaving any scratches (in case it ever needs to be trailered), a tusk tire repair / plug kit, and a zip lock bag containing my owner's manual and documentation... Not a lot of stuff, but before with all the excess wire it almost wouldn't fit. Actually needed a little squeezing / strategic stuffing to get it in there and the seat latched down.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
It looks like you later Vstrom owners are a bit shortchanged on under-the-seat space. There was a Blue Sea Systems fuse panel (6 circuit model) already there when I bought my 2007 Vee, and there's still plenty of room for stuff up inside the tail.

Have done only a commute since last post, K2 stayed on. Bike is not being ridden today, as I have it halfway apart for some preventative maintenace + air filter replacement.

Also, some housekeeping - re-routing of various accessory wires - and installation of my new Oxford heated grips.

As long as it's down, I should take the card out of the K2 and make sure it's actually been recording. When it used to shut off for no apparent reason, the last video file would always get corrupted & would be unplayable.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I don't have any samples on my phone, but my previous DVR would fault out and the video files even though full size were unrecognized and un-playable. I tried a few video recovery softwares one of them worked on a few samples, but you couldn't save the "fixed" files without paying their fairly high license fee. Nice to know there is a chance to recover, but not worth the cost unless needed for court.

I also had many files that were plyable, but the colors and "vertical sync" where messed up.

Also had the momentary GPS data corruption that registered me in the UK and back again.

I'm hoping this new DVR will be more robust. If they discovered the internal ribbon cable as a potential problem, I hope they have retrofitted this one with something to hold the ribbon cable in place... Maybe a spot of hot glue?

I should go for a ride before the weather turns to get some test files. The videos looked OK, but I should get the SD card into the viewer to check the GPS data, file naming and continuity.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
I have enough confidence in the "new" setup (really, just a relocated ground) that I've done a more-permanent install. I was doing some other stuff that required moving the fuel tank & airbox, so took the chance to re-route the wires.

Power supply is now stuck to inside of frame with 3M automotive trim tape. Blue LED faces down ,where I can see it either by squatting next to the bike or using a mirror-on-a-stick tool.

Looked at SD card contents - it's all good, no corrupted files or other indications of irregular shutoffs.

We'll see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Glad to hear it.

That 3M automotive trim tape is awesome stuff. If it ever lets go from heat and exposure, you can try silicone glue.

My grip heater control box was taped onto the inside of the left hand guard with the supplied double sided tape, after about 1 week of summer heat it fell off. I used black RTV and it has been absolutely solid for more than a year now.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Speaking of heated grips, I just installed Oxford Touring grips yesterday.

I feel like I got lucky with the control box mount. Due to my mirror extenders, I couldn't use the included bracket on my mirror mounts. However, the Barkbuster clamps use the same-thread screw, so I used the special longer screw and spacers included with the Oxfords to mount the control box bracket to one of the clamps.

The hole spacing on the bracket is only good for a single-point attachment, but I think that will be fine. I won't be applying a lot of force to the buttons.

I can't reach the controller with my hands on the grips, but oh well. I don't think I'll be monkeying with the grip heat setting that much anyway.

Terminal rings on the Oxfords were too big to fit in one of the regular slots on my accessory fuse panel. I put them on the main hookups for the fuse panel. I guess we'll see whether the "Smart" controller for the Oxfords dislikes the fuse panel ground, as did the K2 power supply.

I still don't understand why the K2 power supply didn't cooperate when grounded on the fuse panel. Should be electrically identical to battery (-) post.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I have enough confidence in the "new" setup (really, just a relocated ground) that I've done a more-permanent install.
Did the new power converter still give you the issues before relocating the ground? Or did you do both of those at the same time?

The new power cube also included a revised connector. I wonder if that older connector was a little sketchy...

I did get some commutes and a 2 hour ride in. I'll have to pull the card and have a look, fingers-crossed. Although it is currently a smaller SD card so I don't know if it has looped over the initial videos or not. If it is working OK, then I'll try the bigger card again.

I still need to settle on a Velcro attachment point for the DVR.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Right, I attached the new power brick's ground in a different place (battery (-) terminal) than the old one. Somehow, this worked.

Shouldn't have made any difference at all. Fuse panel ground is electrically indistinguishable from battery post ground. None of the 5 other accessories which draw power from that fuse panel have a problem with it. Yet, here we are.

I've been checking the SD card periodically, but it's a bit of a chore to pull it, put it in a PC, etc. For the most part, I monitor the K2 by checking whether it's connected to my phone's WiFi. Which, so far, it has been doing, automagically.

Velcro is a great way to mount the DVR. I'm very happy with the place I picked, stuck to the inside of the fairing. It's proven secure even on some fairly severe dirt roads, and much easier to get at than under the seat.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Hmmm, maybe we both had bad power cubes...

One comment from the service guys in Nevada made me think that my DVR was losing power intermittently. Plus he has powered it on the test bench (with no issues) either with his own power cube or the USB port. So I suspect the old power cube and/or the plastic version of the connector was the real problem for me.

That same style connector was used on the GPS antenna and it gave me an intermittent error once. I assumed it was a bad write to the SD card, but could have easily been a 'no signal' or 'bad signal' that confused the receiver and wrote exactly what it was told to write (some default value?). Others have indicated a similar GPS problem with a similar (maybe the same) location in the UK, so maybe that location happens to be the default or "zero" location.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Good point, I haven't actually checked the GPS track. I should give them a look in Dashcam Viewer, to ensure GPS is working as advertised.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Finally got around to checking the videos... Recorded enough to loop about a quarter of the way through the SD card for the "second pass".

All the videos look good, no gaps and no errant GPS data.

I'll have to try the larger SD card next.

The new power cube appears to consume less juice when idle too. I haven't clocked it specifically, but I think the bike was sitting for about a week with the DVR plugged in (parking mode off) and the bike started right up. It has been sitting now for 9 days and will be a while longer until I get the shock put back in. We'll see how the battery is holding... After that test I'll put it on the charger.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Sounds good. I haven't had to leave mine sitting for more than 5-6 days since I installed the K2, fortunately. No problems with draining the battery excessively, though it does bug me a little to have that tiny draw for the blue LED, given I don't use parking mode.

I've been using Samsung Pro Endurance 128 GB cards since day one in both my dashcams. First one I tried with the K2 was bad, no problems with the replacements for months now. I'm about to buy a couple more 128 GB cards as spares. I'll probably get more Samsungs, but this time Evo Select 128 GB as it's at a very nice price/performance spot right now compared to the Pro Endurance.

I finally got around to purchasing Dashcam Viewer. Nice software, mostly. Occasionally and seemingly at random, the front-channel video will show blank. If I skip to the previous file and then skip back, it'll then play fine. Meanwhile the rear-channel video always plays. Weird.

I really appreciate how DV treats both channels as one "video" for playback order/continuity purposes. It would be supremely irritating if it counted every file explicitly, which no doubt would have been the easier path.

With colder weather I've been using heated gear more, and have occasionally run out of power at idle. However, even when I accidentally get the system voltage temporarily low, it doesn't make the K2 shut down. I suppose the power supply is "smart" enough not to start shutting down just because it sees a short dip below the cutoff voltage (I think 12.4V?). That's good design.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I've been using the Pro Endurance 128 as well. I don't think there was any problem with the card...

My DashCam Viewer does the same thing, only with the opposite files. It is the rear channel that "randomly" disappears. I'm pretty sure that it is because the software is manually interpreting the file names and pairing them up. The DVR doesn't pair them, it creates the file name based on the time and then writes it with an "F" or an "R" at the end. Problem is that it creates a new file name for the rear file as well. It should probably create a filename for the Front and then replicate that exact filename (i.e. timestamp) with the "R". So what happens is the time it takes to prep, the rear file (in my case, probably flip-flopped for yours) timestamp is a few seconds behind. Near the end of the minute, they actually show different minutes in the time stamp. These are usually the ones that disappear.

If that really is the issue, there are 3 options to fix it...
1) Update the camera firmware to pick one file name timestamp for both F and R videos, OR
2) Update the DashCam Viewer to have a slightly wider "pairing" tolerance (can get iffy for short files), OR
3) We could write a script to parse the files and rename the ones that don't pair well. (Or do it manually, but that would be a pain.

Option 3 would probably be the quickest, although the DashCam viewer guy seems to still be actively supporting and updating his software. Maybe some feedback to him would get it fixed (if he's not too busy) and if its possible is most (hopefully all) situations to keep the logic from getting confused. If he is willing, several lists of filenames and a description of his software's behavior would be helpful. If you aren't too familiar with the old DOS interface, you can open a CMD window (assuming Windows), then navigate to the directory with your video files and type "dir > list.txt", then we can email the list.txt to him.

101 - 120 of 149 Posts