Strom Trooper banner

41 - 60 of 138 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,331 Posts
One thing that wasn't clear to me re: the K2 WiFi - do you have to press a button on the DVR or anything to turn it on/off, or is it just always on, as long as the system is powered & with cameras connected?

The A129's WiFi is really tedious to use, in part because camera's WiFi must be manually turned on/off each time you want to use it. The camera cuts recording bitrate in half while its WiFi is on to avoid overheating, so you don't want to leave WiFi on any longer than necessary.

You also have to turn your smartphone's mobile data off, or the app usually won't connect to the camera. Even then, it likes to disconnect randomly.

As I said, the WiFi is only marginally useful, pretty much just for aiming the cameras and managing settings.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I'm pretty sure the WiFi is always on when the camera is powered. I don't recall pressing any buttons to activate it. I have that connection in my list but it is set to not automatically reconnect. I just go into the wifi settings page and pick it to connect when needed.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,331 Posts
BTW, there's a user over on the Innovv forums who's managed to boost the system's bitrate to 20 Mbit/s for better image quality. Done through alternate firmware. Apparently totally reversible, so may be worth your while to give it a shot:

https://www.innovv.com/forum/innovv-k2/modified-firmwares-with-higher-bitrates

Seems the default setting is 12 Mbit/s. 20 Mbit/s should therefore show a substantial increase in quality/decrease in artifacting.

Does not seem to require a faster-than-usual card, which is good because the majority (if not all) of "dashcam-rated" microSD cards/SDXC cards seem to be U1, vs. U3.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The WiFi is always on when the bike is on. The only problem is that its kind of hard to use your phone app while riding and I'm not too keen on leaving the bike on just to check out the video.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I wired my camera's switched power to the parking light circuit, so I can work the WiFi with the key in the P setting. I also swapped out my parking lights for LED versions so it takes less juice.

Trouble is that the Innovv power cube is set to power down after ten seconds from loss of switched power. I asked the Innovv guy if the switched power was restored before the 10 seconds elapsed would it stay on or power down then power back up. He said the latter. I haven't tested it directly, although I have noticed that there are multiple file switches when I've stopped on the bike to take pictures then started it back up right away to move it around. So in theory just swiping the key from ON to P could interrupt the WiFi connection right in the middle of business...

For the most part, I just pull the SD card. A word of caution though, be sure that the SD card is lined up with the metal cage inside the socket. The first time my card went between the cage and the DVR case and was a bugger to get back out.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,331 Posts
I don't plan to use the supporting app a lot. Just for adjusting settings & occasionally checking that the cameras are still working.

If I want to view or download large amounts of video, I'll need to take out the microSD card & put it in a PC. Just as with the Viofo system.

Which brings up DVR placement again. I don't really want to have to get under the seat, every time I want to swap out the microSD card.

The DVR is small enough that I may be able to place in that little hollow to the side and front of the fuel tank. I don't know that 2014+ Vees have this space due to their different fairing, but on my first-gen Vee this locaion is protected from the sun and hidden from view for the most part. Better ventilation and easier access to the SD card vs. under the seat. That's assuming all the cables will reach, and that I can find a way to mount the DVR securely there.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I found the shortest cable to be the GPS antenna cable. That one almost didn't make it from my clutch reservoir cover to the under seat storage box. Literally zero extra cable. And if I recall correctly, the connector is actually outside the box along side the battery and fuse panel.

The Vee2 has some space on the inside of the side fairings around the tank. Might not be a bad place to mount it. There are tangs that hold the fairings to the gas tank which take up a lot of space and must stay clear. I believe there is already an electronic module on the left side one. I already put self adhering wire tie squares on mine to wrangle the DRL wires. The left side has come off a few times but the right has stayed. Maybe with some automotive trim tape it will stay but those wires weight practically nothing compared to the DVR.

I don't recall if the DVR has little threaded holes on the back, but those would require separating the plastic fairings to use anyway.

For my heated grip controller attached to the inside of the left hand guard the self adhering tape wouldn't cut it in the sun and heat. Had to use black RTV. Solid as a rock now.

The water resistance of the SD and Micro USB slot are dependent on rubber flaps to seal them up. Also the power and GPS connectors although they claim water resistance are on short dongles from the DVR. You will probably want to secure them so they don't bounce around while riding and maybe reinforce their water resistance (without making it worse of course)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I was recently in an automobile accident. I sure wish I had a dash cam. The police cited the other party as it was their fault but their insurance is fighting it anyway. I kind of feel like if I had raw footage it would be a slam dunk.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,331 Posts
Not sure yet if I can swing it this month, but I'm putting in a K2 soon.

The Viofo A129 in my car has already yielded fruit. Some jackass in a banged-up red pickup tried his best to cause an accident just yesterday:

And that wasn't even his point of closest approach - he easily came within feet, a few frames previous. I'm braking hard there.

We had both just come off an interstate exit ramp. Jackass was in the rightmost right turn lane and had plenty of room to NOT give me a heart attack.

I looked at the rear camera view. Fortunately, everyone behind me seemed to be giving the idiot space before he tried to run into me, so no one else rear-ended me when I had to brake hard.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,331 Posts
I was recently in an automobile accident. I sure wish I had a dash cam. The police cited the other party as it was their fault but their insurance is fighting it anyway. I kind of feel like if I had raw footage it would be a slam dunk.
Believe it or not I've had one or two folks wonder why I "need" a dashcam.

I need it as a type of extra insurance. It is naive to assume that simply because you have uninsured motorist coverage etc. you'll "be fine." You need to keep that hammer in your back pocket for when the insurance company (either yours or another party's) tries to act the fool.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Does anyone have a favorite dashcam viewing software? I have tried the generic one that was recommended in the K2 documentation. It worked, but acted strangely. Perhaps an artifact of the trial version, but disturbing enough to prevent me from paying up. Maybe I'll check into it again...

I have also tried to use the dashcam software that came with my other dashcams and they pretty much choked on the K2 files.

I can watch the videos 1 at a time with the Windows 10 video player by simply double clicking on the file. I am looking for the ability to play both the forward and rear videos as well as the GPS map tracking all at the same time in separate sub-windows.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Believe it or not I've had one or two folks wonder why I "need" a dashcam.

I need it as a type of extra insurance. It is naive to assume that simply because you have uninsured motorist coverage etc. you'll "be fine." You need to keep that hammer in your back pocket for when the insurance company (either yours or another party's) tries to act the fool.
I thought about that at first too. Was this just my quest for new toys? Or a legitimate need...?

Decent equipment isn't dime store cheap, but ultimately I figured that the few hundred dollars now would be nothing compared to the liability or simple headache of not having any evidence should the need arise.

It started out with my cage, then the kid's (new driver), then the wife's, then my Vee2, then the other kid's... Tons of outlay so far for the whole fleet and I have yet to actually need the evidence to save my butt. But very glad to have it available instead of wishing I had it after it's too late.

I have captured some interesting stuff. And the K2 has actually worked surprisingly well for ride footage too.

Spread out over time the prices weren't horrible. There are decent entry level cameras that will get the job done for about $100 single camera or $180 dual camera. The fancier ones that I put in my car and the wife's car were considerably more expensive and probably overkill. But getting the better camera sensor chips and optics came along with other premium "features" that I didn't want and don't use (cloud sharing...???). After only a few years, it seems that the new less expensive offerings are almost as good in the video department anyway.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,331 Posts
Does anyone have a favorite dashcam viewing software? I have tried the generic one that was recommended in the K2 documentation. It worked, but acted strangely. Perhaps an artifact of the trial version, but disturbing enough to prevent me from paying up. Maybe I'll check into it again...

I have also tried to use the dashcam software that came with my other dashcams and they pretty much choked on the K2 files.

I can watch the videos 1 at a time with the Windows 10 video player by simply double clicking on the file. I am looking for the ability to play both the forward and rear videos as well as the GPS map tracking all at the same time in separate sub-windows.

Any suggestions?
So far I just use VLC Media Player. I've never needed any special software to watch dashcam vids, whether from my own Viofo A129 or the K2 samples kindly provided by some folks over at the Goldwingdocs forums who did an early K2 review.

I am reading up on software that can do things like display GPS info simultaneously with video, and/or display both views at once.

I'll be trying out Dashcam Viewer (https://dashcamviewer.com/) but haven't reached any conclusions yet.

I've also read of an application called Registrator Viewer, and in fact there's a download link on a Viofo support page (https://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000088199-which-viofo-model-support-gps-logger-)

However Registrator Viewer seems to be no longer supported/developed and some older versions seem to have been problematic. I'm steering clear for now.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I revisited DashcamViewer. It downloaded a newer version and it appears to be working well. Good enough to pay the $25 registration fee for full features.

It shows the front video, rear video, GPS map overlay and telemetry all at once. Nice.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,331 Posts
Demo version of Dashcam Viewer doesn't seem to offer any way to see both channels at once. Good to know the pay one does

If it works with both systems (Viofo A129 and Innovv K2) then seems worth the purchase.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
The demo version will only open 2 video at once. I was able to get the front and rear to show along with the map and telemetry on the demo version. I got my registration code and was able to open a lot more at once. It was still limited to 500 file pairs. I had about 1400x 1 minute videos in the folder so I just separated them into sub folders.

The open folder option will play all of them one after the other (registered version). But on the unregistered version you can use the button with the film strips (open file) to the right and open a specific file.

It autodetected my front and rear videos and played them simultaneously, but it did get confused a few times. I had to click the previous or next video button to get it sync'd up again.

I also found a couple of corrupt files in my stash. I removed them and that helped a bit.

There is also a button that chooses front with rear on the side, rear with front on the side, just front, just rear... Cycles through the choices.

Also to my pleasant surprise, there was a button to stitch videos together. Basic function but exactly what I can use.

Not sure how many of these features are available with unregistered.. Only thing I remember reading was that the unregistered is limited to opening 1 pair of videos at a time.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Also, when opening the whole folder it displays your entire GPS track on the map and all the telemetry instead of just the data in the current video.

Very nice. Loving it so far. Might be able to replace my Thinkware viewer too. Would be nice to use one for all. I'll have to test it to see if it can read the Thinkware data from those files.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,331 Posts
I can't get the demo version to play a front and rear together, even if they're the only 2 video files in a folder. The autodetect just doesn't work. What did you do to get it to work?

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I didn't really do anything special. It just came up automatically. However, I did find this in the owner's manual ("Help" pull down menu).

Is there a chance that the files you got from the other forum were not made with one of the supported dual cameras?

The Dashcamviewer's website has a pair of sample videos you can download.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I suspect that the developer had to individually program the routines for decoding the dual camera front rear pair combinations. There are likely several that overlap, but if the software encounters something it doesn't understand it just defaults to single view.

Here is a screenshot of the program. I added the red arrow to point out the button that switches front / rear display modes.

It has become confused on mine a few times. It happens more when skipping ahead by dragging the slider or clicking a spot on the telemetry window. But it has also happened during normal playback. Most times it is fixed by clicking the previous then next button to reset the playback. Other times I had to close the program and start it again. I have also had a few times when doing that left a task running in the background. This didn't hinder the program from starting again, but did lock up a file so it couldn't be moved without using the task manager to kill the task(s).

Attachments

41 - 60 of 138 Posts