StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for those of you who've done it already. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person b ut I do ok and I have all sorts of tools. Is installing the racks for the Givi 41's a DIY project or soemthing better left to the dealer? My usual rule of thumb is this: if it involves messing with things that could render the bike unridable (for me to take it to the dealer to fix my mistake :p ) I usually have the dealer do it.

Any thoughts??

A

·
0 Posts
If the Givi racks are similar to the H+B there should be no problem.

With the H+B start from the front of the bike and work backwards. DAMHIK.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I installed the givi sidecase rack on my DL650 last spring. As long as you've got the right tools it's quite straight forward. It attaches to the same mounting points as the rear rack and also to the passenger peg brackets. I strongly recommend getting all the fasteners started and just finger tight before really tightening any of them. You'll need that little bit of wiggle room to get all the holes lined up. I also have the E41 cases. They're huge! Enjoy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
moto_potato said:
I installed the givi sidecase rack on my DL650 last spring. As long as you've got the right tools it's quite straight forward. It attaches to the same mounting points as the rear rack and also to the passenger peg brackets. I strongly recommend getting all the fasteners started and just finger tight before really tightening any of them. You'll need that little bit of wiggle room to get all the holes lined up. I also have the E41 cases. They're huge! Enjoy.
I think the only "typical home shop" tool I don't have is a torque wrench, if it can be done without that I'll have to give it a go. Thanks

K

·
0 Posts
its fairly easy to do yourself...there is some muscling in that has to be done...or atleast on my 650...
anyway...i used my toolkit to remove the stock junk, then wrenches and sockets i had on hand to put the new stuff on

anyway...if you put the top case mount on while you're putting the sidecases on, be sure to do it while the luggage wrack is off

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
keithrj said:
its fairly easy to do yourself...there is some muscling in that has to be done...or atleast on my 650...
anyway...i used my toolkit to remove the stock junk, then wrenches and sockets i had on hand to put the new stuff on

anyway...if you put the top case mount on while you're putting the sidecases on, be sure to do it while the luggage wrack is off
I had to muscle mine also. To complicate things, the top case rack was backordered, so I basically had to do it again when the part came in.

My recommendation - go ahead and do it - it may take a while and you may need someone to help pull a piece into place, but you will be satisfied when it's finished. Also, do the top rack first, along with the side racks - some of the bolts are used for both...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not getting the topcase rack so hopefully it'll be a little less of a PITA to install just the sides.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The side racks are a breeze. Actually I missed some washers on the top rack, so had to do it twice. Total time for doing it twice and the top rack was less than 30 minutes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GGRJR said:
The side racks are a breeze. Actually I missed some washers on the top rack, so had to do it twice. Total time for doing it twice and the top rack was less than 30 minutes.
I'm feelin' all sorts of confident now. :D

K

·
0 Posts
if you havent already ordered the cases and racks, i'd recomend with getting a top case as opposed to the side cases...much better at highway speeds

·
Registered
369 Posts
keithrj said:
if you havent already ordered the cases and racks, i'd recomend with getting a top case as opposed to the side cases...much better at highway speeds
One other advantage to top case vs side is that some guys reported their MPG drop off a bit with side cases. Not alot but I'd figure you might want to know.

Wingman

F

·
0 Posts
Givi rack installation...

The racks require a little patience to install as they are a great fit, just need proper alignment.
I used (and you only need a drop or two) 242 Loctite (tm) on all the fasteners.

Three words: Torque, Torque, Torque.
Install using the proper torqueage (apologies to "My Cousin Vinnie")
After all of the above, theywill be rock solid and will never losen up on you.

·
Registered
482 Posts
QBOTU said:
I think the only "typical home shop" tool I don't have is a torque wrench, if it can be done without that I'll have to give it a go. Thanks
You should buy a torque wrench. They are easy to use.

Every bolt has a correct torque value. Some people will argue that for most bolts it is not necessary to torque them to the correct value. I would argue that you will never strip threads, break bolts or have them come lose if you torque them to the correct value.

I would also argue that you never know which bolts can tolerate over tightening and which ones can't. I had a bike that the bolt that holds the seat on was 6 ft lbs of torque. Many people stripped the threads and had to rethread the fender.

F

·
0 Posts
Torqueage

Suggested reading on fasterners: Carrol Smith's book: Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners and Plumbing.

http://www.speednation.com/store/product2157.html

Torqueman,
You are 100% correct that every fastener has a torque value.
I have two click type torque wrenches; Foot Lbs and Inch Lbs.
Never under tighten or over tighten.

PS: Did you write the lines for "My Cousin Vinnie"?
"I use a Craftsman Signature Series 1031 and always go for maximum torqueage!"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts