StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
13,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you with iPods or the like, where and how are you mounting them? Are they going in your pockets, tank bag, or mounted somewhere?

What about Radios for communication and/or cell phones? I suspect locations for these are a bit more important.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
What about Radios for communication and/or cell phones? I suspect locations for these are a bit more important.
I use the tank bag as control-central for pretty much everything.

2 Meter Ham, FRS/GMRS, Autocom, iPod...

The Zumo is bluetoothed to the phone which is in my pocket. The Zumo also is connected to the XM and has a memory card for MP3 playback.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey Tom
I have an Air Click which is a wireless remote for the Ipod I have it Velcroed to the bars and the Ipod in my pocket or under the seat if I am using my Starcom.
The Air Click is really good you can change volume, skip, pause, I picked it up at Best buy for 20 or 30 bucks

·
Registered
238 Posts
For my MP3 I use a Tech Mount steering stem mount from Cycle Gadgets: http://cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=HG I used the 1/2" (13mm) stem mount; it's just loose enough that I can move it around a bit, but won't move by itself - there are 2 o-rings keeping it in place, and if it does loosen up I'm sure you can change to larger o-rings.
I put velcro on the plate and back of the player and haven't lost it yet, even on an 18 hr ride to KC last Sept.
I use the same plate to mount stopwatches on during bicycle races.
I use both the straight and angled RAM mounts for radios, GPS, etc. mounted under the mirror arm; the angled one will fit if you just ream out the hole a tiny bit. (http://cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?item=RAM-BA)
AND,,,, as if I didn't already have more mounting options than stuff to mount, I also modified my (Wolfman Explorer Lite) tankbag; it was real floppy at the top and wouldn't stand up straight (a common issue thru-out my life), so I cut a piece of lexan and installed it against the front wall; I added a powerlet tankbag socket on one side and a ram mount on the other side (w/ a BIG washer on the inside for support).
The bag-mounted stuff is unobtrusive and allows me to take my "stuff" (a guy's gotta have his stuff) w/ me when I use a different bike.

KevinL
VA

Those of you with iPods or the like, where and how are you mounting them? Are they going in your pockets, tank bag, or mounted somewhere?

..Tom

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
My DarienLight pants came with velcro strips on the left leg. I put some velcro on the back of my Sansa .mp3 player and stick it to my pants. I run the cord for my headphones through my jacket. No cord dangling in the breeze, but it's tough to look at the screen on the player. Usually not an issue for me, tho.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Handle Bar Mounts

I took the handle bar mounts from a couple of old battery operated bicycle headlights and used them to mount my XM radio and my cell phone to the bars. They are in two pieces that have a spring clip to snap them together allowing for easy attachment/removal with the Bike. I used double sided tape and pop rivets to attach the brackets to the cases.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i myself plan on using a shelf that i have come with. it mounts between the fairing bolts that are at the upper "points" and "wedges" between the fairing and the windscreen bracket.
i don't have any pictures since i'm in the middle of a move and all the parts are in storage. there are similar units available but i liked my mounting better.
since my project is on hold during the move i'm also playing with a windscreen lowering/raising modification... like some of the more expensive bikes.

·
Administrator
13,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was that you on Sunday on the ride?

I meant to look.. how do you have your wiring set up? I have an Autocom setup that I have been fiddling with. So far I have only had it in a tankbag whiel I tried things out.

Now that I know everything works well I am wondering what the neatest way would be to do all the wiring. I think I would like to leave the Autocom under the seat and have the wires run to the FRS Radio, to the music player, etc. I don't want a mess of spagetti, though.

I don't yet have an iPod but the rest of my family does. I do have an MP3 playe but it isn't Apple. Your remote control might make me go out and get an iPod in the future as that was pretty slick.

Any suggestions?

..Tom

Hey Tom
I have an Air Click which is a wireless remote for the Ipod I have it Velcroed to the bars and the Ipod in my pocket or under the seat if I am using my Starcom.
The Air Click is really good you can change volume, skip, pause, I picked it up at Best buy for 20 or 30 bucks

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey Tom
ya that was me on the ride.I really like the ipod and airclick combo.I haven't finalized my layout with the starcom but I am very close.I am having a problem with the ipod under the seat it seems to lock up, not sure if it is a ipod problem or location/virbration issue.I want to have everything under the seat that I can to reduce wires and improve security.I don't mind riding with the tank bag but would like the option of not having it but still have com and tunes.
I have ordered some more cables for the Starcom and plan to pull of the tank and do the job right in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just keep my Ipod in my pants, with the cord going up through my jacket. Its a 80 gig with a lot of songs. I put it on shuffle, set my volume and go. I can fast fwd, stop and start my ipod through my pants. Its Free. Thats just how I roll. A remote would be nice, but I would only really gain volume control. I also don't have to unplug everytime I get off the bike which is nice too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts