StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have searched and searched but cannot figure out why i cannot perform this otherwise simple mod. My '05 DL1000 has a throttle-lock (installed by previous owner) and stock controls and mirrors. I have added JP shorty levers but they do not look any bigger than the stock ones (front to back) did. When installing the aluminium bracketry the large bracket touches the front brake lever. I thought it was no big deal, but on a ride the other day my front brake slowly LOCKED up at highway speed. Not fun. Removed the BarkBusters from the left side while on the side of the highway and the front brake released tension. Now trying to re-install I can NOT get the brackets to mount without it touching the front brake in any fashion. I have swapped in every possible combination of the provided hardware imaginable and the only way that the bracket does not touch the front brake is to have it run well below the front brake lever. Not optimal.

The clutch side has a very slight gap, but i dont trust it to much. The BarkBusters are brand new, never been dropped on so they cannot be the problem.

Can someone get me (or point me to) good hi-rez pics of mounting these on this model dl from the handlebar bracket all the way out to the bar-end? I have google searched, but so far no luck. I have include images that show the problem and how I had things mounted up. I have removed everything for now hoping to find the correct way to install them. The included instructions where not really helpful to me but i may have been missing something along the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Have you tried adding spacers (eg washers), with perhaps a longer mounting bolt, to get the required clearance?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
looks like you have the stock handle bars. all i can tell you is that i went through a similar fight when i installed my guards, going through several brands before finding the one that fit.

write barkbusters an email. they are a helpful bunch.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
When I fitted them to my Wee I did put the L shaped bracket on up side down to get them into a position I was happy with, I had not such trouble with my V2.

That main bar that does all the work can be reshaped in a good vice to get any clearance you need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts