StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I bought an impulse buy of a $50 go pro knock off. It has tons of accessories, but I can't figure a good way to mount it in front. Any ideas? The one idea that would work is to use an adhesive mount right on top of the master cylinder on the right brake. Do you think that's a bad ideas?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have a few bolt on and one clamp on mount. So far, I prefer left handlebar or rear side rack as mounting points.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
Firstly, please include your bike and location in your profile details - it just makes it so much easier for others.

What mounting position/method works for some may not work for others. Vibration is also a big issue. There are a couple of threads here https://www.stromtrooper.com/techy-world-gps-electronics-etc/416403-dash-cam-question.html and here https://www.stromtrooper.com/techy-world-gps-electronics-etc/414347-lets-talk-dashcams.html

Some have them sitting on or under the beak. The current position of mine is in the attached image. The plus is that the rubber padding under the clamp reduces the vibrations. However, I also get a lot of very whiny engine noise. I have also tried the bars, the brake master cylinder and the mirror stalk. The best picture was when I attached the camera via a car windscreen sucker to the front of the faring except that the wind noise was bad and it also fell off a few times.

I will move your thread to that section.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I too had issues finding a good spot where to mount. Handlebars, helmet, crash bars, panniers all posed issues for me. I ended up using a stick on quick mount centered just above headlights.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've had the best luck with chest mount. You have to wear it up high to see over the dash on these bikes. It isolates the camera from the bike vibration and reduces some wind noise being behind the fairing. My camera's also a cheap Chinese Go-Pro knockoff.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
That is suuuuch a hard question.

I have a mount socket on top of my helmet (low speed panorama style shots), and one on the right side of it (moderate to low wind). I also install the bike mount on the side of the bike under the crash bar (much less winds, less vibrations) for more spirited rides.

Best way is to hold (or even better, have someone else hold) the camera where you think it would look good, and watch on your phone/tablet through live view to see if you like the angle. Then hope for the best, because not all cams have good image stabilization/anti shake.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
I mounted my action can on the side of my helmet. It records what I'm looking at. Rarely get bug guts or road grime on it. I expected to feel the drag on the side of my helmet but it was negligible. It didn't add much noise to my ride either.

Other locations I tried in front or to side of windscreen ended up with all kinds of crap obstructing the image.

No matter where you mount it, the camera will pick up a lot of noise...wind or engine. I just mute it at playback and overlay it with music.

Finally, my cheapo unit has a wireless pushbutton switch to turn it on and off. I velcro'd it to the handlebar. I can just barely hear the camera beep as it cycles on when riding. I miss shots on nearly every ride assuming its on when its not.

OK, one more suggestion...get a pack of spare batteries and charging station. The cameras suck juice!

Sent from my YY-107H using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
I agree that the helmet mount gets rid of all the vibration and most of the wind noise but I kept finding that it was never recording when I wanted and so I solid mounted it and wired it in to start with power on - just like a dashcam. Mine overwrites the oldest clip first and I seem to get 10 hours or so on a 32GB card.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ooh, thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to investigate some of these. For clarification, I have a 2018 V-strom 650. I mostly want this to record my death for my love ones later :) - not for hotdogging.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey all, just resurrecting this thread to tell you all I found a solution that worked pretty well. I got mirror extenders from AdventureTech that have a ram ball on the inside, and then added a 5.5" ram extender and put a go-pro ram ball mount on the camera. So the go pro sits like an antenna just to the inside of my right mirror. Got all this stuff off Amazon except the AdventureTech parts. Hope this helps anyone looking.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
I've been thinking about where to mount my newly bought ripoff GoPro.

I like the idea of a ram mount. I was defaulting to the helmet before reading this thread.

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
Glad you found a good solution. How about posting a photo of your setup, and YouTube a clip if it gets good results. The big advantage of a permanent mount is that you can wire it to start with power on like a dash cam and then take off and save anything worth saving.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
This thread got me to order another camera tonight.
I have a Sena 10C (camera) and I will continue to use it. Two of the things I love about that camera is that, when on, it cashes 60 seconds of video with out recording it. When something comes up you hit the record button and it includes the previous 60 seconds into the video. The other thing is that it has a remote microphone. I have a velco dot to mount it inside the chin bar of my helmet (no wind) and another on the back of my helmet (exhaust tone).

The new camera I just ordered has an external mic and is waterproof. The price jumped up to $58.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JVJDDZ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I plan to have a couple of frame mounting positions plus I will break out a mount from a previous bike. It started life as an umbrella mount for a child stroller or a wheelchair. About $11 and has infinite angle, aim and extends to about 2 ft high. Obviously, not for everyday use but makes for cool video prospective.

·
Registered
27 Posts
GoPro Mount

Hello, I am planning to get a gopro type action camera and I am thinking of not putting it on my helmet. Is there a way to mount near the front zone? Which mount?

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
However, I also get a lot of very whiny engine noise. I have also tried the bars, the brake master cylinder and the mirror stalk. The best picture was when I attached the camera via a car windscreen sucker to the front of the faring except that the wind noise was bad and it also fell off a few times.
I found the wind noise intolerable with my mobius as well so I turned off the audio. also the small usb input plug on my mobius became an intermittent connection due to cable movement (wind/vibration) rendering the camera useless for being hardwired to the bike. Now I have the cable secured on another. and of course the vibration affects the video quality. if I want a quality video I would mount on my helmet.

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
I found the wind noise intolerable with my mobius as well so I turned off the audio. also the small usb input plug on my mobius became an intermittent connection due to cable movement
I found that squashing the metal part of the mini USB plug slightly kept the electrical connection secure, and the plug unable to vibrate out as well.
I agree that for the best quality footage mounting the camera to yourself or your helmet is best - it's just that it was never on or always flat when something occurred and so I use mine like a dash-cam, wired to start with the key. The 32Gb card is good for up to 6-7 hours and then overwrites the oldest clip. Mine is set to make 10 minute clips and at the moment is mounted to my crash bars with a handlebar clamp which has rubber between the clamp and the bar. Reasonable video but terrible audio. The sound receiver is just too sensitive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts