StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will be purchasing a Zumo 550 soon, and I am trying to decide on the mounting method. I'm not really interested in a RAM mount, as I think they look kinda tacky. I like the concept of mounting the GPS in the center, above the gauges.

I am interested in the following setup, and I'd like to know if anyone else has done this, or if they think it doesn't make sense for some reason. My thought is to pair an SW-Motech Accessory mount ($80) from TwistedThrottle.com with a Touratech Locking Mount ($159). Expensive setup, but I like the locking aspect of the Touratech mount for gas station breaks. I would remove the GPS from the mount if I were to leave the bike unattended for extended periods. It looks like you could mount the Touratech to the silver rod on the SW-Motech, ditching the swiveling bracket on the SW-Motech first. Does that make sense?

SW-Motech Mount:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2596/203/

Touratech Locking Mount (Garmin portion not included with mount):
http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/show.lasso?sku=065-0151&-session=touratech:CDBC74461dd602A0DCHsM3708614

Functioning of non-locking Touratech variant:

·
Registered
503 Posts
I attach the Zumo directly to the SW-Motech mount with the provided hardware that came with the Zumo. When I leave the bike unattended I just pop the Zumo off it's base and put it in the trunk.

Actually the best position I've found for a GPS on the bike. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Almost forgot, removing the Zumo from it's base is made much easier with the following security replacement screw.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49002&highlight="zumo+screw"

·
Registered
654 Posts
Here's Mine

I like this alot. It blocks the stock speedo which is totally inaccurate anyway. Used only what came with the Zumo 550 kit.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have been using a Tourtech locking mount for about 5 years now. Same mount and I use it on both the FJR and the Wee Strom. Well worth the money especially when traveling so it doesn't need to come off at all times.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
It's obviously a matter of preference but I like mine over towards the left that way I can still use the buttons without removing my hand very far from the bars.

I just used the supplied handle bar clamp, works well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bahill, I really like your setup and this is what I am looking for to do with my bike.
I have a Zumo 550, a Madsatd and a Givi windscreen. Would it be possible for you to post a couple of pics to show your setup from different angles (particulary without the Zumo on the cradle).
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I fabbed an aluminum tube that fits across between the screws for the Madstad bracket. It's rock solid.

Before I had the Madstad bracket, I mounted it directly to the plastic piece that sits there.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Bahill, I really like your setup and this is what I am looking for to do with my bike.
I have a Zumo 550, a Madsatd and a Givi windscreen. Would it be possible for you to post a couple of pics to show your setup from different angles (particulary without the Zumo on the cradle).
Thanks in advance!
First welcome to the forum Francoiscqc!

You have the same setup as I do however you will need the SW-Motech mount. This mount, and I believe all the photo’s you will need, is on the Twisted Throttle web site at the link below.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2596/

With that mount and the base that comes with the Zumo it’s a simple process of bolting the SW-Motech mount in with the windshield bolts and then bolting the Zumo mount onto the SW-Motech mount. I think I might have had to drill out a couple of holes on the SW-Motech mount for the bolts that came with the Zumo. If you still have questions let me know and I’ll see if I can get some photo’s up.

* * * EDIT (1-25-09)* * *
Took a couple of photos tonight. Would have been better during daylight but I didn't have the time. Hope this shows you what you're looking for.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I bought the SW Motech mount a couple of years ago. The decision was easier when it cost $50. Anyway, I've been happy with it.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I mounted mine using the Garmin in the box bracket & cradle on the handle bar close to my left hand just like Roger123. I figured temoraily it would be ok until I got a better idea. Well, it works great and I'm not moving it. It's very handy to use and view but not in my direct line of sight to the road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Many thanks for the pics Bahill.
That's what I was hoping to see.

Can you tell me if this setup has any effects on the air flow?
I doesn't increase turbulence does it?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Many thanks for the pics Bahill.
That's what I was hoping to see.

Can you tell me if this setup has any effects on the air flow?
I doesn't increase turbulence does it?
I can’t tell any different with air flow however I’ve learned from forums like this that “air flow” is a subjective thing. If it helps I have my Madsatd straight up and the Givi is a couple of inches from the lowest position. I still have air flow but don’t notice any buffeting and I’ve used it like this for a couple of years now and have had the Zumo in this location for about a year.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
If you can keep it above the dash its easier to work with IMO. Mostly becasue things happen fast at 50MPH, so normally all you have to do is move your eyes rather than your head when its closer to your viewing window, just a quick glance and a push of a button while you can still maintain a good peripheral of the road. Its also tucked under the windscreen more ofering better protection from the elements.

·
Registered
503 Posts
If you can keep it above the dash its easier to work with IMO. Mostly becasue things happen fast at 50MPH, so normally all you have to do is move your eyes rather than your head when its closer to your viewing window, just a quick glance and a push of a button while you can still maintain a good peripheral of the road. Its also tucked under the windscreen more ofering better protection from the elements.
Agree with this 100%. Before the Zumo I've had two other GPS units mounted on the bars (at different times). One was mounted in the center of the bars and the other up close to the left hand on the bars. With the Zumo mounted high on the dash and centered, it's the best I've found as stated above. This location works best for me.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
I guess I'm one of the few that like the ram bar mount with the Zumo. Had it up on the dash but prefer the shorter reach of the bar mount.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I am part of the bar-mount crowd. I use the RAM mount and like having the GPS within easy reach of my left hand. Quicker and easier to manipulate it that way.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I am bar of the bar-mount crowd. I use the RAM mount and like having the GPS within easy reach of my left hand. Quicker and easier to manipulate it that way.
I would agree and have mine mounted on the bars as well, but after my first ride with my GPS mounted last weekend, I was really questioning if looking straight ahead toward the console might be better. It did feel a little akward looking over to the side, although it's not really all that far over - but I definitely found myself thinking about the slight turn of the head to view the GPS.

I will do a few more test rides to see if moving it to be centered above the console might work better, but I definititely think it is pretty convenient getting to the buttons mounted on the handlebars.

·
Registered
435 Posts
To me the problem with mounting it up all the way by the windshield is it is too far to reach to push the buttons. It's also a long ways to run a cord for earbuds.

I have mine on the handlebars with the original mounting bracket.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts