StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably going to get one of these in the next day or so. I noticed Twisted Throttle sells a bracket for it. Anyone know where it mounts? (Side of Bike?) IS the two piece Sound Bomb easier to mount on a Vstrom?
Tia.

·
Registered
469 Posts
A sound bomb won't fit here, but if you want to add a second pancake style horn this is where I put mine. It's a low-tone horn which pairs nicely with the hi-pitched stock horn, which is still in place.

This is a screen shot from a YouTube video I made about brake lines.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have a Gen2 Wee (L4) and my plan is to upgrade to the series R/R and move it to the right side quarter panel and free up the R/R mounting bracket for the Stebel Air Horn. The R/R upgrade kit from roadstercycle.com includes heavy gauge wire for connection direct to the battery which frees up the power connector to the R/R for use (through a relay) to drive the horn.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The twisted throttle bracket one does not fit the 2017 despite the web site saying it does. I ended up installing it with a bracket I made by the swingarm. Would not go this route again. I'd get some electric horns. Lighter and just as loud. I used the stock wiring negative wire to activate the relay. The horn is wired to the battery.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I used the stock wiring negative wire to activate the relay. The horn is wired to the battery.
Good point. For anyone thinking of adding a 2nd horn, the horn switch completes the horn's connection to ground. The positive path to the stock horn is always active (when the bike is on).

On your relay, you want to...

• tap into the stock horn ground wire (black, blue stripe) and connect it to terminal 85
  • connect a 12V source to terminal 86 (e.g. brown wire to rear running light)
  • connect terminal 30 to the battery positive
  • connect the auxiliary horn's positive to terminal 87
...then ground the aux horn's negative terminal (battery or frame works best) and you're done. Just use appropriate gauge wire for your new horn's draw.

Edit: Add an inline fuse between battery positive and relay terminal 30

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was going to go for the full soundbomb horn too but elected to go with the mini as it was much cheaper and easier to install. It is incredibly loud as well.

I mounted mine on the bracket the stock horn is on. You'll just need to get some pliers (Long channel locks) and bend the stock horn bracket into a "S" to give clearance for the stud bolt on the mini. Just be careful not to damage the radiator. I also used the slotted portion of the bracket, not the original hole as the hole was too small for the stud on the horn. You'll also need a bigger washer to keep the nut from pulling through the slotted portion. Easy to do, no extra wiring, just a pain due to its location so tight to the rad.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is where I ended up mounting mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here is a pic. Its a really tough spot to get a decent picture. You can see the back of the rad and the bottom of the original bracket with the hole. There is a slotted portion in the middle of the bracket between the stock mounting holes on each end, thats where I mounted the new horn to. You just need to bend this bracket into an S shape to give enough clearance for the new horns mounting stud.

Attachments

·
Vendor
4,734 Posts
Just FYI,

I spoke to the owner of the US company distributing the more famous air horn that the Denali sound bomb is based on. Long story short - he said the air horns are very loud, but he did not recommend them for motorcycles because they are sensitive to damage from air flowing by the horn opening. In other words it may work now, but may not work when you need it later.

Still lot of people use them and swear by them I know. Please no hate mail.

He went on to say that their loudest mechanical horn was very nearly as loud, cheaper, and stone cold reliable. They are also not placement sensitive.

Again. just FYI.

·
Registered
469 Posts
These air horns also have a delay. You hit the button and it takes a half second longer (-ish) for the noise to happen.

I know a couple riding friends whose air horn stopped working not long after install.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks. With that horn focusing the noise down do you think the radiator partially blocks the sound from moving forward?
Well I'm sure it does to some extent as it is physically in-between the horn and the front of the bike. That being said, It's incredibly loud compared to the stock horn, it startles you a bit when you hit the horn button. Worthwhile upgrade to me. Plus you can't really mount it any other way or you'd risk it getting filled with water or other grime from the road.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Since we're sharing horn stories, here's mine.

Running three horns. Added a PIAA Slim Line high-tone one to my left crash bar, held on with a $7 mounting bracket from Amazon. Also added a low-tone pancake style one on the lower fork bridge (BMW horn). Stock horn still in place.

I ran 14-gauge + and - trunk line wires down the left side of frame with 16-gauge wires running to each horn. Used a 30A relay and 15A inline fuse.

Sounds great. Each horn is a slightly diff frequency so sounds like an angry little noise symphony.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These air horns also have a delay. You hit the button and it takes a half second longer (-ish) for the noise to happen.

I know a couple riding friends whose air horn stopped working not long after install.
I gotta say my new Denali is instant quick. But I agree with Rick that they are unlikely to last a long time , and they are not louder than dual tone Fiamm Highway Blasters. (Which also didn't last that long on my car)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts