StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed the installation of a Rostra Cruise Control in the right hand fairing. Thanks to all of the people on this site who posted very helpful information. I saw LH fairing installations and thought the RH side seemed more open.

It is tight but the finished installation has about 3mm of clearance between the CC and all of the bike parts. The CC throttle cable loops forward and lays on top of the headlight area in the fairing then circles back between the forks on top of the radiator. I copied another members connection to the throttle bodies. The fuel tank hit the CC on the first trial install and I had to move the CC forward to provide clearance. The unit works very well and I know this will make long trips more enjoyable.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
That is an outstanding looking install!

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
Nice job!

Worth all the work. Won't have a road bike without it again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thank you very much for this. I am starting my install tomorrow morning and this is exactly what I needed to see. I really did not want to give up the under seat storage space.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I didn't think it would fit there. It's good to know it can be done.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you very much for this. I am starting my install tomorrow morning and this is exactly what I needed to see. I really did not want to give up the under seat storage space.
I was concerned with the U-bolt clamp holding this tight with all the vibration so I added a 1/4" plate on the nut side to allow me to really tighten this. And be sure to trial fit your tank on before you get too far. The front-to-rear location and tilt of the CC is critical. Expect to play with the U-bolt connection to get this to fit. The nice thing is you can easily access the U-bolt nuts after you install the main fairing. I added zip-ties to keep the throttle cable and wiring in position, did not pull them tight just wanted to loosely corral these components.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rostra CC

Great installation Ned !

I did basically the same thing but with the control cable facing back. I ran it clockwise around the throttle bodies, ending at the front of the throttle linkage. All works fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, mine is installed. It just doesn't hold speed very well (not at all actually), I think it is due to cable routing. I am going to have to take the fairing off do some rerouting and check dip switch settings. A little bummed, but everything works, just not well. Clutch and brake deactivate it, no high reving or other issues. I did the install without relays.

With it mounted this way taking the fairing off is a little more tedious as you have to take it off the frame and leave that in place. I have had it off and on a couple times finalizing placement of things.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, mine is installed. It just doesn't hold speed very well (not at all actually), I think it is due to cable routing. I am going to have to take the fairing off do some rerouting and check dip switch settings. A little bummed, but everything works, just not well. Clutch and brake deactivate it, no high reving or other issues. I did the install without relays.
I had similar issues my first go 'round with the Rostra. I found that the cruise would engage but had several issues.

1. It might take several seconds (sometimes 30+) for me to be able to even tell it was on.
2. When I set it, my speed would drop significantly before the unit starting pulling.
3. My speed would wander too much once set.
4. I couldn't set it above about 70 mph.​

I concluded that all my issues were caused by slack in the cable. I pulled the tank off and reset my cable using a P-clamp. It's really easy to set the cable tension with this hardware. Just loosen the clamp enough that you can pull the cable through it ... look into the throttle body and watch for the butterfly valve to just crack open from the tension you are applying ... back off as little as possible to be sure the throttle is closed ... hold it right there and crank down the P-clamp. It's nice and taut now. With just that change, I can feel it grab the throttle as soon as I push the button, there is no drop in speed, it holds speed right on the number even up and down hills and I've had it set at up to 90 mph (actual) with no issues.

If these sound similar to your symptoms, I would recommend you give this a shot before pulling off the fairing or messing around with the DIP switches.

I picked up the P-clamp at Lowe's in the hardware aisle ... literally in a drawer marked "Hard to Find".

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ned - Are you still able to easily take off the front end of the bike with the CC mounted there?
Yes the CC is not attached to the plastic fairing and is mounted to the tubular steel frame. It is time consuming to access this area but I did not want to loose the under seat storage. And hopefully I don't have to get in here very often. I did make sure the CC throttle cable made a nice loop in the fairing laying on top of the headlight housing area before running back to the throttle bodies.

Rostra provides a method of threading the CC throttle cable outer sleeve using the nuts they provide. This seems to be a very secure way to hold the throttle cable, and help insure the the correct amount of slack is maintained.

·
Registered
90 Posts
TV,
You are dead on, I checked everything else, then took out 1 bead of slack from the cable. Still has issues below 50 MPH, but it is perfect between 55 and 72ish.

I will adjust it a bit finer as you suggest, but I had an important trip planned for the weekend to Central Oregon. It was great, strong headwinds and steep downhills caused minor issues, but overall I am very happy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts