StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added a door opener for there garage on there strom? I'm thinking something mounted in the fairing, not a regular opener with valcro holding in position or inthe tank bag. I would really like to add something like that when I add a power outlet. If anyone has any suggestions, directions and pics that would be great. Just may have to do it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm using a motofx opener. THis "black box" is wired into either the headlight or turn signal. I used the headlight. How it works is when I turn on my high beam the "black box" transmits to the garaage door to open/close.

One downside. If you have a newer garage door opener (the kind with rolling codes) you'll have to buy an extra gizzmo that hooks into the opener to bypass the rolling code function of the opener. I have an old opener, so no problem for me.

From there website...

Note: New "rolling Code" garage motor/receivers purchased post 1997 require a Universal Receiver. Receivers requiring frequencies OTHER than 300, 310, 318, 315 or 390 may require a Universal Receiver.

Motofx website: http://www.motofx.com/

A review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motofx/

My picts: http://cycle.frogfruit.com/main.php?g2_itemId=303

I've been using it for over a year now and I'm very happy with it. No more stoping and digging in my pocket to get the opener. If the damn thing didn't cost so much I'd put one in my car too.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Give me a few days to get pics & info but my friend's DL1k has a simple push button mounted above the clock on the top of the plastic (not sure how else to describe it).

K

·
0 Posts
I haven't made one for the Strom yet, but I made one out of project box, a momentety switch and a mini-remote. I took the guts out, soldered on a wire on each of the switch poles, soldered on the switch, sealed the guts in the box, shrink wrapped the wires and velcro'd the box on the inside of the fairing. A 0.25" hole mounted the push button, and it worked like a charm.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I used stick-on velcro to mount a GD opener inside my RAV4. It's tucked away up by the rear-view mirror. A do-it-yourself "Homelink" setup :)

I was toying with the idea of doing something similar for the 'Strom but the problem of course is that it would be exposed to the elements somewhat. Maybe the buttons could be sealed with a bead of silicone though. I may try that.

- Martin

·
Registered
269 Posts
I use my cell phone. How it works:

- While at a stand still, remove helmet
- Take the phone out of pocket or tank bag
- Press 7 not-so-random numbers on the keypad
- Press send
- Wait for the ringing to stop
- Tell significant other that you'll be home soon and ask him/her to open the door.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
lajaro said:

- Press send
- Tell significant other that you'll be home soon and ask him/her to open the door.
- and if you happen to be the first one home, keep riding around the block until some one else gets there.

K

·
0 Posts
lajaro said:

- Press send
Do all of the jettisoned belongings fit in your luggage? My door would be open alright. And everything I own coming out of it. :lol:

·
Registered
269 Posts
kurt1305 said:
Do all of the jettisoned belongings fit in your luggage? My door would be open alright. And everything I own coming out of it. :lol:
hehe - I'm actually lucky that way - my fiancee (just proposed on Wednesday so it still sounds strange) is not only a sweetie, but also an aspiring rider with an EX500 in the garage, waiting for after her MSF next weekend.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I clip mine to the throttle cable adjusters by the front brake master cylinder. Fits pretty snug and is handy to hit when approaching the garage. Then I can easily take it off and put back in my truck when I'm ready and also can take it off to slip in my pocket if I'm leaving the bike or running into the store or something. :wink:

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
My garage door opener goes in my zipped jacket pocket, right side.
Works great - you don't have to get it out - just fumble around until you find the button...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You know I can carry around the door opener or use the velcro thing. But I like adding touches you don't see everyday. A button somewhere on the fairing if I can come up with an idea, I like the bright light switch idea for sure. I will be going to the garage door place by my house this weekend to see what they have to offer. Who know maybe I'll just velcro the opener somewhere out of the way.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Careful with a permanent install... I've found out that getting any type of water in my craftsman opener causes an immediate short and BAM the $3 LiOn battery dies. The opener is fine, it just needs a new battery after getting wet. I ended up getting some industrial velcro, and mounting it under my Pat Walsh dash shelf.. I just stick the opener up under there while I ride, and if I'm going to wash the bike, remove it so it doesn't get wet!!

If I'm using my shorty shield and no shelf, I throw it in my tank bag. although I've also found out I have to be careful where I put it in the bag, becuase I've also killed the battery by crouching on the tank - I put pressure on the tank bag, which depresses the button and drained the battery.

I've been buying lots of batteries lately! :p

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Gilk51 has the same routine as mine. Change the pockets for added fun factor. Fumble on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts