StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cat Herder
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hit the Mountain Loop Highway earlier this morning. Headed north from Lynnwood, to the 9, and then to Arlington. From there I cut over to Darrington and turned south. Hit some gravel along the way and had a great time. I saw no other motorcycles up that way...and apparently neither had two guys standing along the side of the road, as their jaws were on the ground when I breezed by. Made it to Granite Falls. From there, I headed home.

Anyway...I had a ton of photos, but I decided to throw them into a video. I added some sections of video (sorry, the camera was on a RAM mount attached to my mirror extender, so it gets a little bouncy).

Here is the result:

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I was climbing Mt Pilchuck yesterday. On my way back to Granite Falls on the Mtn. Loop Hwy, I saw two cruisers sitting on the side of the road just before getting back to town. This was around 4pm or so. Wonder if it was the same two guys you saw.

How much of the Mtn. Loop Hwy is dirt?

·
Cat Herder
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was climbing Mt Pilchuck yesterday. On my way back to Granite Falls on the Mtn. Loop Hwy, I saw two cruisers sitting on the side of the road just before getting back to town. This was around 4pm or so. Wonder if it was the same two guys you saw.

How much of the Mtn. Loop Hwy is dirt?
Nah. Wasn't them. The two guys I saw were weekend campers just past Bedal Campground. They were standing near their raised trucks at the time.

The unpaved section is about 13 miles. It's, to my inexperienced self, hard-pack with loose pea-gravel over most of it, with some sections of deeper golf-ball sized gravel. It's fairly smooth, with some sections being a little washboard in the deeper gravel. I took it at between 25 - 45 MPH.

I can post up an un-edited continuous clip of the unpaved section. It took me about 38 minutes, including lots of stops for photos.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I rode the Loop Highway for the first time this morning and it was outstanding. I passed through Granite Falls about 8AM and was in Darrington around 10:30 AM after a number of brief view stops and two side excursions to trail heads. At that time in the morning there was very little traffic as most of the campers were cooking breakfast. The unpaved stretch I found a bit sloppy with the loose gravel, conditions I had never rode on for any length of time, and this was my first "off-road" ride here in the US. But the scenery was magnificent.

After Darrington I headed north and then back west over the river onto the Concrete-Sauk Valley Rd and on a whim I turned onto Finney Creek RD. Now this little gem was even more spectacular than the Loop Rd. The first mile or so provides amazing views of the river valley below as well as world class views of the south flank of Mt. Baker. Then it is canopied forest steep above Finney Creek. I turned around 11 miles up the road as I had already violated one of my basic rules of not going up a road further than I was willing to walk down. I also was alone with neither water nor food. The road was a single lane with some stretches of pavement and some stretches of dirt/gravel, but but not the loose sloppy stuff as on the Loop road. But with a partner, a decent map, some supplies, basic gear ( I was only wearing a short sleeve shirt) I believe the Forest Service roads can be taken up and over due south back to Darrington or veer west to Lake Cavanaugh. Combined with the Loop RD it would make a great day adventure, especially in the Fall when the leaves turn color. I'll try to find a more detailed map of the area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts