StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can only seem to find the mounts for older 1000s and the 650s.

I refuse to believe no one makes a mount for a bike thats been out for 2 years.

Can anyone help me out here?

If not, that exactly is the mount? Like how hard could it actually be to make my own?

I would rather buy one, but if there aren't any available...

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I don't know how handy you are, but this is a homemade project I did for mounting two different sizes of Duratool cases as quick release top cases; the large one is similar in dimension to a Pelican 1550. I designed some easily detachable support rods that carry the load of the big case down to the crossover bar on my Happy Trails racks, so the rear of the bike frame isn't supporting the entire weight of the case and its contents.

The mounting system was designed to work with a homemade top case rack, which i cut from 3/16" aluminum plate with a coping saw and sabre saw. With some adjustments it would probably work with a stock V-Strom luggage rack.

In the photos, the large Duratool case is shown mounted to a Super Tenere, but the mounting system is the same for both, and both are using a homemade top case rack.

Maybe these will give you some ideas.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/members/41909-rcinnc-albums-homemade-top-case-quick-release-version-2.html

Large Top Case Project

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
RCinNC --- that is really nice work! :thumbup: Thanks for sharing the photos too, really helpful to get to understand how to put that together. I like the way that came out, very clean.

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
Unless the box comes with a mount, just poke holes in it and use some bolts to hold it on the rack.
One can make a strap to hold it from the underside.
The JC Whitney type boxes come with generic metal extrusions and you put it where it fits easiest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts