StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does the mototune breakin suggest using 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear? Why not just 2nd? Or 2nd and 3rd? The reason why I ask this question because I have lots of streets where I can do 30-35 mph, and 2nd or 3rd would keep me in the ideal RPM range. But not sure if the higher gears are used to put more pressure on the rings? Or maybe need to breakin the gears too? Or maybe need some air resistance to create more pressure?

Or said another way: I can load and unload the engine really good all in 1st gear. But, that doesn't seem to be ideal since it is omitted from the instructions. Why?

Thanks,

Jake

·
Registered
14 Posts
Follow what your manual says, not what someone else thinks should be done. The manufacturer spends millions of dollars in R/D and knows under what conditions your motor should be used. Everytime I see that Mototune guide I really want to punch that guy in the face.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
FEverytime I see that Mototune guide I really want to punch that guy in the face.
Long-term excessive consumption of caffienated beverages with aspertaime have been scientifically proven to have dangerous effects on the psyche. You really need to get a grip on your repressed anger issues and lay off the go-go juice before you blow a head gasket.

Have they covered this on Mythbusters?

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Why does the mototune breakin suggest using 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear? Why not just 2nd? Or 2nd and 3rd? The reason why I ask this question because I have lots of streets where I can do 30-35 mph, and 2nd or 3rd would keep me in the ideal RPM range. But not sure if the higher gears are used to put more pressure on the rings? Or maybe need to breakin the gears too? Or maybe need some air resistance to create more pressure?

Or said another way: I can load and unload the engine really good all in 1st gear. But, that doesn't seem to be ideal since it is omitted from the instructions. Why?

Thanks,

Jake
Why would anyone give a sheet? Then again, it's on the internet.

Knowledgeable engineers say, "Follow the manual."

Fortunately, engines today can tolerate a lot of abuse even during break-in. Do what you want or nothing special at all. It's your bike. Other than warranty considerations, you can do anything you want with it. How about "never take it out of third for the first five thousand miles." That will bed the clutch, shower the fuel injectors, and properly sweep the cylinders.(*)

(*)This entire suggestion made in jest. I take no responsibility for anyone or anything dumb enough to follow it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'll offer some answers, as this is the method I used on my bike 4 years ago....

2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears offer a longer pull while accelerating, and a longer pull while decelerating using engine braking, as compared to 1st gear. 1st is just too short and can thrash on the transmission and clutch unnecessarily.

Also, varying between 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears offers a difference in the severity and duration of the pull from low engine speed to top engine speed (ex. the time it takes to get to the top) which helps the break-in.

·
Registered
174 Posts
+1. I will NEVER break a machine in like this. If Honda, Suzuki, Kawy or Yamaha thought this was the best way to do it, have the most power, etc. don't you think they'd say so in the manual? They have everything to gain by building your bike so it'll outrun the other brands, but how do they tell you to do it? EVERY single one tells you the same thing...take it easy the first 500 miles, limit the throttle and keep the bore pressure down, etc.

Knowing what I know about engines, the MotoMan method will not help you have a bike that'll run 80,000 or 100,000 miles and not use any oil, maintain compression the same in both cylinders so it continues to run smoothly all thru it's service life, etc. Oil consumption is one thing that really chaps my a$$, and I've never had a bike use oil if it's broken in properly. The MotoMan method does not give the cylinder rings enough time to scrub in properly and seal against gas leakage before they begin allowing blowby because you hammered them when they were new. It takes time for the rings to wear into the factory crosshatch and Suzuki makes cylinder bores extremely hard and wear resistant for long life. They don't wear in very well before 500 miles and if you don't allow those rings seat properly you're asking for trouble down the road.

The Motoman method is not going to give you any appreciable horsepower gains on a dyno and you sacrifice realiability in the long run. Nascar, top fuel, all those kinds of engines are torn down after just a few runs or one season, They're not expected to run for 10-15 years or they would break them in on dynos properly before they sent them too the track and they'd keep them under 6000 RPM, stuff like that. No thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Long-term excessive consumption of caffienated beverages with aspertaime have been scientifically proven to have dangerous effects on the psyche. You really need to get a grip on your repressed anger issues and lay off the go-go juice before you blow a head gasket.

Yea yea trying to cut back. Addiction is a hard thing to break.

Without going into full on mechanical engineering mode, the jist of why mototune break-in method is bad for engines is it revolves around one aspect of the engine. Rings.

Engines are complex beasts. You have timing chains, bearings, sprockets, cams, buckets, springs, all fresh components that aren't broken in. Now add in a transmission that is integral to the engine, sharing oil, and all that jazz. High stress loads on these components might stress areas where machining wasnt exactly perfect, where easy motoring might wear it down, and high load insane mode might induce a crack or fracture.

Yea some people might get lucky and having nothing adverse happen following that guide, but a gazilion more people have followed the "take it easy for first 500-1000 miles" and come out ahead with bikes, cars, lawn mower engines outlasting the frames that are around them.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Isn't it hard to be a nay-sayer without trying it first? Or are you saying that you have indeed tried it, and the mototune method failed you?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
higher gears

the higher gears put a load on the engine . when i bought a new car and asked about break in , they told me there is no such thing any more . some people think the bike break in is just to trick riders into getting used to the machine before they use it to go fast .

·
Registered
252 Posts
All I read here are opinions, no proof that either method is superior. You all know what they say about opinions...

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
A friend tried the mototune method on his KTM and it seized on him. Not an opinion or conclusion. But he won't be using that method again. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
654 Posts
A friend tried the mototune method on his KTM and it seized on him. Not an opinion or conclusion. But he won't be using that method again. :rolleyes:
Well that sucks, but every KTM that has come into my shop came in because the motor acted much like a hand grenade. So, that ain't sayin' much :)

·
Registered
953 Posts

There are no long term effects of caffeine use after ceasing use other than dependency, and regarding aspartame use, it is only a concern for those diagnosed with PKU. So that phenylketonurics notice that you see on the can is of no more concern to the regular Joe than a warning that a food product contains peanuts if you are not allergic to them.

While it wouldn't be good to consume massive quantities of aspartame because of what it is metabolized into, aspartame has EXTREMELY high sweetness to it compared to natural table sugar (which too has clearly documented and reproducible long-term repercussions for over-indulgence). The better tasting alternative that is of lesser concern though is sucralose which IMO tastes better and there have been hundreds of studies that show it is as safe as table-sugar consumption (again, don't go overboard chugging pixie sticks of the shit).

Wait...

I just remembered this is a motorcycle forum and not a artificial sweetener thread, and the comment probably made in jest. Shutting up now.... :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts