StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently an insurance company ad has been airing featuring various riderless motorcycles tumbling violently down the road, into boulders, and bouncing into storefronts with the caption "Motorcycles don't crash alone".
The first time this ad aired my (nonrider) wife came rushing into the room I and my young son were in, eyes wide darting from the TV to me to my son, her expression saying "This could be you! Your son can see this! Do something, now!"

Have you seen it?

I feel it is important the company is made aware this ad does not promote anything positive and (hopefully) will not sell insurance. Not to me, anyway.
There are plenty of other ways to promote policy sales other than frightening the family and friends of motorcyclists.
Offer free skills classes to new policyholders, or even a discount.
Show me you are interested in my safety, not just my money.

I ask you, fellow Stromtrooper members, if you agree, to express your opinion to this insurance company. I am.
Thanks.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I agree.

I really didn't appreciate the reaction my wife had while seeing this ad. To date she has really been a good sport about my two wheeled mid-life crisis. This ad rubed salt in the wound for her.:thumbdown:

·
Registered
541 Posts
I agree.

I really didn't appreciate the reaction my wife had while seeing this ad.
That's why I don't have cable or satellite for 3 1/2 years now. Hey, I don't even have the TV set tuned for the over-the-air channels. Never missed the crap streaming into my living room.

Did not see the ad (maybe it is not even available in Canada), but I tend to agree with the OP.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
That's why I don't have cable or satellite for 3 1/2 years now. Hey, I don't even have the TV set tuned for the over-the-air channels. Never missed the crap streaming into my living room.

Did not see the ad (maybe it is not even available in Canada), but I tend to agree with the OP.
+1 no tv for me

·
Registered
543 Posts
Like yours, my wife flipped when she saw it. These aren't good images to convey to the family members of riders.

They may actually be targeting that segment, figuring that the spouse will insist that the rider gets the "best" insurance through that company. But no matter the marketing strategy, I want to make sure it backfires on them.

I would fully support an on-line petition to convey the position of knowledgable riders that this kind of marketing preys on fear, and will not be supported by the motorcycling community.

How do we start such a campaign?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Notice that, in the ads, the bikes all are tumbling down a straight away, also? That was the first thing I noticed. My wife (a licensed rider also) just said, "If you can do that kind of damage by yourself on a straight away, insurance isn't what you need."

·
Registered
108 Posts
Notice that, in the ads, the bikes all are tumbling down a straight away, also? That was the first thing I noticed. My wife (a licensed rider also) just said, "If you can do that kind of damage by yourself on a straight away, insurance isn't what you need."
:thumbup: your wife is a smart lady! :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
No such thing

I'm afraid this may be one of those situations where, from the insurance company's perspective, there's no such thing as bad publicity. Yeah, they're fear-mongering, but the auto insurance companies regularly show cars being bashed and smashed. I have a feeling that making a big thing out of it will just provide the insurance company with free publicity. Certainly no need to patronize them, but perhaps better to ignore the campaign, in the hopes of an early retirement for it.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
How do we start such a campaign?
Naming the insurance company would be a start.

If I should happen to see the ad, I'll tell my wife how upsetting it is to think about her riding her bike.

I'm sure the Moto manufacturers aren't getting the warm and fuzzies from this in-your-face ad campaign.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Haven't seen it but don't watch ads on TV so I probably won't. If I don't DVR it I don't watch it.

Saying that I assume it's not a Progressive ad and Flo isn't doing the voice over on it. So which one is it?

The only reactive ones in our family are the moms meaning my mom and my MIL. My mother has learned over the years her fears while well founded have come to nothing. I've been run down by cars on both motorcycles and bicycles and have always bounced back.
My mom in-law who is well known for over reacting and freaking out doesn't seem to really give a rip about me so we're all good there too... :yesnod: and she's nearly 1000 miles away :hurray:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Allstate.

I am a Hockey fan, no wait, there's more. I am a BLACKHAWKS fan and they are making a run to the cup this year (could be the first since 1961) so I am getting way more exposure to TV advertising than normal. I have seen it multiple times...

Actually, I think it's probably brutally effective. The tag is:
"When your MC crashes, so do you. Allstate covers both....."

·
Registered
856 Posts
i guess i'm just desenseatized or something, i had not seen the comercial, but now that firepit posted it, it's not that distrubing to me.

i guess i can see where they are comming from. few years ago when i took another MSF advanced course, the instructor mentioned that (in the state of michigan) statistically, 70% of riders do not even have an endorsement. of the other 30% who do, over 50% of them don't bother with insurance. i can see where they are comming from. i have met a TON of riders over the years who are somehow convinced that they will never crash, so they don't need insurance.

·
Registered
22,267 Posts
i have met a TON of riders over the years who are somehow convinced that they will never crash, so they don't need insurance.
even more often, they believe that even in the event of a crash, how much damage can a bike do:confused: how much liability risk is there ? and because its a toy, is somehtign they can afford not to replace

yup, a lot higher % of motorcycles without insurance than cages, 50% is very believable in some areas

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
90 Posts
after watching the posted youtube video, it seems pretty tame to me. If that kind of stuff freaks your wives out then they are pretty naive about the risks involved in motorcycling.

I'm pretty sure State Farm doesn't cover any motorcycle related injuries.

·
Registered
482 Posts
That is a great ad.

This ad shouldn't be that alarming if you and your wife have already considered that this, or a lot worse, could happen.

And if you have made the decision to go tooling around on your strom, then you both should have a handle on this potential outcome - nobody's head should be stuck in the sand when it comes to bikes. If you haven't, then there is a pink elephant in your living room...

So, what if you do "have the discussion", and then she forbids you to ride? If you already know this would be the outcome, yet you are still currently riding, what does this constitute in your relationship?

I think for potential or current motorcyclists who would rather not think about this as a possible outcome of riding motorcycle, it's a good wake-up call.

Every time I get on my bike, I acknowledge (either conciously or unconciously) that I may stack-it big time, and the consequences of that are huge.

I have a wife and a 7 Y.O. daughter. My wife understands - she has ridden with her father and me for years. We just lost a her cousin in a MC accident last summer, so we both know how much we all risk to ride.

To me, riding a motorcycle is a lot like flying a private plane. Like a good pilot, we are (ATGATT riders anyway) hyper-vigilant, careful, well-practiced. We constantly train ourselves to make good risk mitigation decisions when we encounter dangerous variables (bad weather, maniacal cagers).

This translates into a fairly safe way to travel. But at 8,000 feet or completely exposed at 70mph on the slab, the consequences of a FU or "shit happens" event can be equally devastating. It is MY OPINION that people, or spouses of people, with a problem with this probably shouldn't be riding.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This is mild compared to all the life insurance ads.

Cute little baby on an online ad--if you died, would your family be able to meet their financial needs? How about you give us your money now?

I effing hate insurance companies.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts