StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned in another thread that I'm going to be building (read: paying someone) a new shop on our property in which I will store my bikes and other things, so I'm looking for some suggestions.

Firstly, I'm going to look for an electric gate and garage door and I would love to have one key fob that does both the gate and the door, probably something with 2 buttons. Has anyone seen/heard or have one of these?

More importantly though, I'm thinking of putting a turntable/carousel in the shop area so when I ride my bike in I can simply turn it around for easy departure the next day.

Now I've seen all sorts of options, from built right into the floor, to various above the floor homemade ones, to manufactured ones. Built right into the floor options are cool but going to be more expensive, but does anyone have one and if so what did it cost?

If you use a manufactured above the floor device what one do you have and how do you like it? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
It would be a heck of a lot cheaper to buy one of those motorcycle dollies from Harbor Freight to use to spin your bike around. They're about 90 bucks as opposed to whatever it costs to make a custom ride-on turntable in the floor. Plus, the dolly makes it really easy to move bikes around in a limited space, especially if you have more than one bike. I've been using one for years, and it works great.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
It would be a heck of a lot cheaper to buy one of those motorcycle dollies from Harbor Freight to use to spin your bike around. They're about 90 bucks as opposed to whatever it costs to make a custom ride-on turntable in the floor. Plus, the dolly makes it really easy to move bikes around in a limited space, especially if you have more than one bike. I've been using one for years, and it works great.
Totally agree ! MC Dolly

Reactions: RCinNC

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
That's the one I use, NV. Takes little effort to roll the bike onto it, and you can spin the bike around like a top.

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
As much as I like shop gadgets I'll just continue to push mine backwards like I've always done. Those Dollys would be nice if you have multiple motorcycles to get them nestled together to free up some floor space.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We got ours from discountramps.com. They run 15% off +free shipping several times each year. The last one I bought is Aluminum and feather weight.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
If you have a smooth concrete floor that is level, perhaps you could build a wooden circle with transfer bearings under neath. Put 4 pegs in the concrete that keep the circle from rolling away. I'd wager you could spin the bike around with one finger.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I mentioned in another thread that I'm going to be building (read: paying someone) a new shop on our property in which I will store my bikes and other things, so I'm looking for some suggestions.
When I built my second shop: I included one fairly low cost and very helpful feature which didn't think of for my first.
In advance of pouring the cement floor I set a pair of parallel, 2 inch galvanized, square steel tubing pieces. They are 15 ft long and 8 ft apart. They are flush with the finished floor. We put a lot of care into making them as level and square as humanly possible. We used a laser.

This is because in my first shop, even though the floor looked flat and level, it was not. The result was that as I built a homemade sports car I could not work UP off the floor. I had to build a scaffold and work all my measurements DOWN from it. Huge pain. Tons of extra time and frustration. So while you may never build a car in yours, it is very helpful for building or repairing anything that needs to be square, parallel or flat. It also made it easier for the cement crew to get the floor right.

With an array of welder magnetic triangles and carpenter squares everything goes quicker and more accurately.

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
I predict that at some point, if you build a ride-on platform, whatever mechanism you use to support the turntable will get some muck/dirt/gravel in it and you'll drop your bike. And a mechanism that requires you to strap/clamp down the bike would be time-intensive and awkward. Unless you have a very steep driveway leading up to the shop, easier/quicker/less space-intensive to just back it in.

Having said all that, might be interesting to see if you could build an air-cushion turntable. Get a high-pressure blower, leave a fairly precisely flat cavity in the floor with a hole in the center where air is introduced, build a reinforced platform with a circular base to fill the cavity. Hit the blower switch, turn the bike with one finger, shut off the blower. Presto.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I think that the simplest solution is @NVDucati's in post #5: MC Dolly. Not too expensive, takes up only the footprint of the bike. and it can be moved freely, not just rotate as in a turntable.

Lift Master makes gate and door openers that can be activated with several types of remotes, app, visor clip or keychain, and can control up to three doors or gates.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I have a ATV lift mainly because I like things to have more than one use.

If I was to be using it all the time to move a bike I would make a cradle that was a perfect match to the underside of the bike so there was zero chance the bike could move off the stand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts