StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever done motorcycle training at Road America (Elkhart Lake, WI)?

I'm looking to do some sort of experienced/advanced rider training in 2018 and was looking at their Street Skills 2 course.

I could always do the MSF Experienced Rider Course at my local tech school, but I'm hoping to make a weekend out of it and maybe get some fun riding in as well.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
No help here, but that facility looks like great place to try all sorts of adventures. Something different than an msf class could be fun and interesting

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
The races I've seen on telly of that location indicate it's at least scenic.
Not like Willow Springs where the run offs are desert hard scrabble and not very friendly.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, it is a beautiful place

Try this:

Elkhart Lake's Road America, Inc.
Yeah, that's where I found the information about their Street Skills 2 course. They used to teach the MSF Advanced/Experienced Rider Course there, but the last time I checked and saw that was a couple of years ago.

As for riding on the track, I don't know how much of that would be included. According to the course description:
"the majority of the time spent on our controlled one of a kind off street training range, the Motorplex, which is designed to simulate real world riding conditions. This training range encompasses nearly one mile of paved roadway equipped with over a dozen unique curves, presenting a variety of real world riding situations like repetitive and alternating lean angles, changes in elevation and line of sight challenges."

Luckily, I've had the pleasure of riding on the track a few times already. Back when I used to go there for Superbike weekend, I would pay the $25 to do their 'parade laps' of the course during the daily lunch breaks. About 40-50 of us would ride around the track for 15-20 minutes. Technically the speed limit was 45 mph, but you could occasionally wick it up if you weren't too stupid. I had my '98 Concours up to 115 indicated on the uphill finish-line straight once -- the fastest I was comfortable to ride that bike.

I haven't been to the SB races in a couple of years, but I heard they cracked down on the hooligan-ing during those rides and it's much more strictly regulated. [boo!]

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
I had the chance for the track lap at Laguna Seca in 1986 with the BMW rally there...I didn't. What a woose!
Woulda coulda shoulda!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts