StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably old news by now but the latest edition #253 has a test on the new Wee. The main complaint being the non switchable ABS and the fact that it doesn't appear to be very serious about going off road as standard. What I noticed was the high cost of accessories listed in the article. Centrestand $503:yikes:. Heated grips $578.:yikes::yikes: Vario Touring screen $485. By the time these are fitted it's closer to the price of some of its competitors.
I thought my Hepco and Becker centrestand was dear enough.

I know there are much cheaper options out there in accessory land but why does Suzuki think it has to charge so much?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Probably old news by now but the latest edition #253 has a test on the new Wee. The main complaint being the non switchable ABS and the fact that it doesn't appear to be very serious about going off road as standard. What I noticed was the high cost of accessories listed in the article. Centrestand $503:yikes:. Heated grips $578.:yikes::yikes: Vario Touring screen $485. By the time these are fitted it's closer to the price of some of its competitors.
I thought my Hepco and Becker centrestand was dear enough.

I know there are much cheaper options out there in accessory land but why does Suzuki think it has to charge so much?
Yeah Drew, I read that as well and thought jjjjjezus....over 500 bucks for a center stand....better be gold plated for that!!:mrgreen:

He wrote in the article that he thought that the new Strom was a bit under-whelming....s'pose it would if ya coming from a Hyabusa or somethin'!!

Great thing about the Strom, it's a great basic bike that can be farkled up to anything you want it to be from a long distance tourer to a beefed up bush basher.
The 2012 model has just been released a few months back so give it time for all the after market boys to start their farkle list a lot cheaper than mr Suzuki.
Look how much stuff is avail for the original model...heaps!!

Cheers

wobbly

(Dave)

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
He wrote in the article that he thought that the new Strom was a bit under-whelming....s'pose it would if ya coming from a Hyabusa or somethin'!!
I would agree completely with the underwhelming statement and I own a K7 Wee not a Hyabusa.
It's different than the earlier model but the changes in my opinion are not enough to justify me spending the money for a changeover. I could make my bike handle better than the '12 model for a fraction of the changeover price, the slightly smoother power delivery doesn't excite me and I have major issues with the way they have made the seat narrower but left the frame rails sticking out in mid air where they rub badly against your calves when standing.
Yep underwhelming is a very accurate description imo as far as looking to upgrade is concerned.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I like the new Wee better than the old one.

We are a two vehicle family and both of us work so 'no grief' transport is a must - my K6 was at the point where 'next thing to go wrong and you are history' , alas the ignition switch seized in the car-park where my wife works :) great excuse - I'd looked at bikes like the Tiger and S10 - the new one was convincing enough that I skipped those after a test ride.

Like the original Wee there's nothing dramatic there, it is a better bike though. Feels like the engineers were told "you can do what you like, but it must cost the same" - lots of small improvements, seat, suspension, brakes, wind, balance that all add up to better value.

The old DL was an O.K. bike in dirt - the new one is impressive - not a KTM 990 for sure, but it's a lot nicer to ride offroad even with the crappy Trailwings on it -which I hadn't expected. The ABS doesn't need to be switched - at least IMHO. It's saved my butt already offroad.

It also holds it's own against sportsbikes on seal now - if you avoid roads with long straights :). The old one - you definitely had to pick your road.

So - nothing dramatic, just lots of small improvements - they add up though.

Pete

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
So - nothing dramatic, just lots of small improvements - they add up though.
Exactly but not $5-6k worth if you already have a bike that is functioning perfectly alright. If my bike died or if I did not have a Wee then yes I would buy the new one over the old one but as a straight for no reason other than its newer upgrade no thanks.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Your right Windy, thats good buying.... but awful selling. I think the underlying problem may be that we don't seem to have enough lazy dollars laying around with nothing to do.
Well my prob. anyway. So if Lotto came in, just what would I buy? New Strom? There is a good chance of a new 2012 model coming home with me, but then again........
Saturn 5

·
Registered
62 Posts
I read the article as well and the one in 2 wheels a while back. Theres a very good wrap for the new wee in the latest Ulysees journal though.

I enjoy MC Trader its probably my favourite mag and my take on their opinion of the new wee is that they liked it enough but were probably expecting ''more'' from a new model.

You dont here much about the KLR 650 nowdays yet it constantly heads the sales charts. Same with the GS500. Old designs with a few updates here and there, bikes that are perfect for their intended markets.

As a new wee owner it was the well proven reputation of the old model that played a big part in my decision to buy one.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Exactly but not $5-6k worth if you already have a bike that is functioning perfectly alright. If my bike died or if I did not have a Wee then yes I would buy the new one over the old one but as a straight for no reason other than its newer upgrade no thanks.
K1W1, I feel the same. I just hope that my '07 Wee lasts for a lot more years. With me being 60 already, this bike very well might be my last bike. My last bike went for 21 years before I replaced it with this one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts