StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any good Motorcycle Touring Magazines out there. I was crunching some numbers and won't be able to buy my DL1000 VS untill another year! I would like to get a good mag. to help keep the DREAM alive! I was pretty upset when I left the dealer. My girlfriend new how much I wanted the bike wouldn't stop crying on the way home!!! OH well maybe next year. I just got out of school and started my new job so It was kinda wishful thinking on my part.

Any info on some mags would be great!!!

Laxson OUT

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey Laxon,
Sorry to hear that. From what you mentioned earlier you are new to bikes, at least street bikes. You might consider a early 90's dual sport or something like a honda Magna to satisfy your riding for a year or more. Deals can be found for $3500 or less on great bikes. I have a Magna and it's a great bike to cruise in the mountains with, and is plenty bike for two-up riding. Anyway, it's just a thought you might consider.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think they will still be making the the V-Strom at the end of 05?

My last payment for my jeep is Oct. 05!

Laxson OUT

·
Registered
213 Posts
Touring magazines

I think Rider magazine is a good read about touring. There is usually a good ride article in each issue.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I was looking at the 650 to. It would probly be better because I just barely make the smallest size limit for the DL1000. I was just worried when I go on long rides with alot of gear packed aboard I'm going to be short of power to make it through the moutains. There are also know add on stuff for the bike yet. NO luggage racks, crash bars and no bottom pan protection made for the 650 nothing like DL1000. This is first year it's come out and I'm kinda "I Don't know" on the first year run with stuff! There are no dealer in the area that even plan on having a DL650 in their shops. so I can't really try one out even if they do come out soon!

If I got the DL1000 it would probly be alittle much for Super green biker like myself. I thought about just getting a used 650 bike like Biker suggested to get some experience on then when my jeeps paid off "little over a Year" I can then go out and get a DL1000.

Laxson OUT

·
Premium Member
380 Posts

The Suzuki V-twin 650 motor is a proven powerplant. It's been around since 1999. The FI was introduced in 2003 with great reviews. If that's the ony thing holding you back, then I wouldn't let it, er, hold you back! ;)

The 1000 doesn't come with bottom pan protection. That little chin fairing is rather flimsy and wouldn't help at all if you hit something substantial.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I believe your right. I have that more power is better kinda stuck in my head. I had the chance to get on a DL1000 at a local dealer and was really surprise how big it seemed in real life. I'll keep checking around with dealers and see if I can try out the 650 if the get one in!

Thanks for the webpages it helped out with info I didn't know about DL650

Do you think Givi will come out with the lugage rack and crash bars for the DL 650 soon?

Laxson OUT

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
freediverGA said:
Do you think Givi will come out with the lugage rack and crash bars for the DL 650 soon?
If Suzuki offers their own mount for luggage similar to the DL1000, it's 100% compatible with Givi cases. I use the Suzuki accessory case mount with Givi's E460 trunk plus pairs of Givi E21 and E360 side cases on my '03 DL1000. It's a nice set up and holds a ton.

Oh, and Rider '51 is right on the money. "Rider" magazine is easily the best of the touring mags. If you want to ride Northern California, Washington and British Columbia, check out Destination Highways guides at http://www.destinationhighways.com . They're spendy but worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the webpages guys!!!

The Cal, Wash and BC highway guide won't help me much since I live GA. I will be in NorCal for the 3rd week of September on a freediving and spearfishing trip. Anyone riding up highway one on there Dl Grand.
I'll give you all the Abs, ling and/or Rock fish I have for a mile or two test ride of there VS. I promise I will be really careful :shock:

FreediverGA OUT

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
touring magazine

I have just started reading "Road Runner" magazines recently, and it is the best mag out there(in my opinion). It's only been in circulation for a couple of years or so, but anyone you replies to the editors feels the same way about the mag as I do. It's only about touring (generally the US, but they add in the odd foreign tour as well) so the articles are of great interest to most adventure touring riders. They also test about 3-5 bikes in each issue as well. There website is www.rrmotorcycling.com.

Rich

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Regarding Road Runner Magazine...It looks like they have club codes for discount subscriptions...Hmmm...I wonder if we can negotiate a club code for Stromtroopers???

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That mag looks pretty good and what I'm kinda looking for. I'm going to check B&B and see they have it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts