StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really, really enjoy tinkering with my motorcycles!

I am currently installing the EB PC-8 and tying in my GPS, heated grips, 12V plugs x2, multi-meter, and am adding some more rear LED lights to my K6 Wee. Man I love this bike!

I am definitively electronically challenged which thus requires me to focus more on what I'm doing and what I'm trying to accomplish....a bit of forethought goes a long way!

Having said all that, I just decided to opine on this site how therapeutic working on either my Wee, WR400, or my 73 CB500 is!

Therapeutic because my mind can focus on the fact my beloved of 18+ yrs is again (freaking A!!) fighting breast cancer! Yup, again! It sucks!...MASSIVELY!

You know, so much of my extended family talks about the dangers of motorcycling, and yes, it is more dangerous than riding around in a cage, but wow, for me it adds so many facets to life....enjoyment, appreciation for life, appreciation for what God has given us which I get to breath/feel/smell while I'm riding, and fortunately/unfortunately, for therapy!

With that, I will go back to wiring my Wee and trying to focus on the bike instead of the perils of breast cancer!

I look forward to seeing you, whoever you are on some group rides/rallys, etc.

God Bless!

·
Registered
759 Posts
[email protected] CANCER.

I am doing the very same, but with my Mother. She was originally told she had breast cancer in 2003 and flash forward to last month and she had to hear those dreaded words again. I play 'Words With Friends' with her in hopes of providing some momentary distraction. She enjoys it.

Be well. Both of you.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I know where you are coming from Storyteller.

My bikes are my "therapy" as my Mrs. is going through the BC challenge at the moment too.

Diagnosed last year, surgery, and now half way through the chemo path [last dose will be in September].

Then there is the ongoing annual tests for five years after that, if none return positive during that period she will be declared cancer free.

It is a long and stressful road, for everyone closely involved.

The cancer may return, but in the meantime life must go on, and it may not be the cancer that takes a person out in the end anyway.

Every time we walk out the door we have no guarantee we will walk back through it again.

Live the life you have while you have it, make the most of every day and enjoy it as much as you can.

My thoughts are with you and your wife, I wish you both all the best.

Ock.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I to am using motorcycles right now as therapy. I was diagnosed with cancer about 3 weeks ago. I will be having surgery in 2 weeks. Right not I am hoping to be back on the bike within 6-8 weeks after surgery. I am lucky, it appears that we caught things early enough to hope for a "cure".

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to riding whenever the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
386 Posts
This Cancer thing knows no boundaries and plays no favorites, that is for sure. My thoughts and prayers go out to all who directly and indirectly have been touched by it.

I've just completed my induction and consolidation rounds of chemo, had my bone marrow test done and have been found clean of the leukemia. Now I'm on to my 9 months maintenance regimen with hopes that each 3 month bone marrow test still proves negative.

I'm just about to pull out the Vee, start to tinker with her before the season starts up here in the great white north. It's been my mental healer of sorts, thinking about getting this going, what I'm going to do and how much I'm going to enjoy riding this year.

Good Luck to all!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really appreciate those of you who have shared their respective stories. Unfortunately, there are WAY too many stories like my wife's, like the ones shared by Ches_Man, efoltyn, ockerstrom, and Prime. Thank you to boatpuller for the kind words.

As lame as this may seem to some, simply being distracted by checking this site, turning a wrench or zip tying something on my K6, or riding through town for 15 minutes (even when it is 38 degrees) helps!

Feel free to post here and feel free to reach out to me if you need to vent or if there is anything I can do.

My wife and I are utilizing as much modern AND holistic treatments as possible, as there really doesn't seem to be A silver bullet we are loading out tool belts up with whatever we can.

If I/we can ever be of assistance with references or suggestions, do not hesitate to reach out.

The patient is in the midst of the gun fight, the family is reloading his/her magazines! It affects everyone!

Those close by to MI, and quite frankly, those who aren't...let's get together for coffee somewhere. I always need a very, very minor excuse to take a ride somewhere!

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Those close by to MI, and quite frankly, those who aren't...let's get together for coffee somewhere. I always need a very, very minor excuse to take a ride somewhere!
To fetch a cup of coffee, while driving an automobile, is usually about a 15 minute trip.

To do the same on my Strom, two to three hours of riding, may get me half way to the coffee shop!

(I pack my tent and sleeping bag, just in case!).

You are all in my thoughts and prayers!

B.L.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So sorry! Please tell your honey good luck; I hope she kicks its a$$. I have family losses to cancer too; it sucks! Remember, worrying won't change anything. Riding will give you the chance for some great times together.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Best wishes to you and yours. I agree with your sentiment, motorcycles are the only the therapy that has ever worked for me. I think the essay called "Season of the Bike" by Dave Karlotski captures the essence of riding more than anything I know.
Excerpts:
On a motorcycle I know I'm alive. When I ride, even the familiar seems strange and glorious. The air has weight and substance as I push through it and its touch is as intimate as water to a swimmer. I feel the cool wells of air that pool under trees and the warm spokes of that fall through them.
Transportation is only a secondary function. A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.
Cars lie to us and tell us we're safe, powerful, and in control. The air-conditioning fans murmur empty assurances and whisper, "Sleep, sleep." Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride.

·
Registered
522 Posts
StoryTeller:

As you said there are way, way too many stories like yours. My wife lost both her parents to cancer and I lost my stepmother (a truly wonderful woman and a great wife to my Dad) to cancer as well.

You have my sympathies and my prayers. My only advise I can offer is that you need to take care of yourself so that you can be there for her; emotionally and physically. Keep tinkering with you Scoots. Particularly since it helps gives you the emotional strength to support your wife.

Good luck and God Bless.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
That insidious disease.

STORY TELLER:Never give up hope,....Never!

Cancer came to visit me. A massive abdominal tumor weighing 3.75kg (the size of a baby) was scraped from me. I was told my chance of survival was between zero and 10% on reaching the next Christmas. I can honestly say I have been to Hell. Many dark and pain filled days. I had the love and support of my wife and family, but it was my bike that took me to sanctuary. To smell the crisp morning air, I relived over and over those wonderful rides through the country that was restful, the nights camping out and seeing the stars above, so clear in the country air I felt I could understand infinity and how in the grand scheme my cancer was less than a grain of sand. This was where I found peace at a level I had not seen before.
That op. was almost six years ago, I survived. Why? I'm not sure, it wasn't my time. But it brought a closeness with my family and an appreciation of each other. I now know at a different level than before, that life IS short and we are all here for such a short time.
My cancer gave to me a sense of appreciation of all that i have.
My bike gave solace and sanctuary.

I wish you peace, love and acceptance in your journey.

Saturn 5

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sorry to hear about that...

I have four siblings and three of them have had at least one bought of cancer.

My sister carries the gene for breast cancer. She just had an elective double masectomy because she knew she was going to get breast cancer again in the future. It sounds like that may be an option if you haven't already gone there...Insurance did cover it for her.

My sister is also a nurse and is telling everyone to get genetic testing done if you can and don't be scared of preventive surgery...

I wish your family the best.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Feel free to post here and feel free to reach out
I hope for the best for your wife, you, and to the others who have come forth with their stories.

No wrenching in this story I tell, but...

Last fall, a few of us were invited to a fine meal prepared by my brother-in-law and my sister to celebrate his buying a nice Moto Guzzi V7 Classic Cafe, his return to active motorcycling after too many years away. Just before we arrived, he got news from his doctor that he had tested totally free of the cancer that he had been operated for earlier in the year. The motorcycle became secondary but still very much a part of the larger celebration.

I wish as much for all of you.

Marc

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I/we very much appreciate everyone who has submitted their respective stories! The fact is hope is well and alive in so many of these stories, so much so I am having my wife read them.

Thanks so much for sharing!

God bless to all!

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
One of my Brothers died of cancer, Dad of ALS, Mom alzheimers.
Mom suffered the most, the longest.

Spend much time with loved ones, especially those who are or might be terminally ill - whatever it takes.

Live life honorably and always give extra attention to those you will miss if they died tomorrow - whether ill or not.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wife -- may she prove to be tougher by far than the disease that currently afflicts her! If I may share something with you:

They overcame [the enemy] ...by the word of their testimony...

In that vein, I had a 2nd cousin diagnosed with brain cancer about ten, maybe fifteen years ago. Brain cancer is a *HUGE* killer, but my cousin is alive and well to this day. Fall a year ago, my next door neighbor was diagnosed with breast cancer. The treatment was tough, but she is alive and well today, also.

May these testimonies -- and the ones that others have shared here -- encourage, strengthen and uplift you and your wife in your battle. You WILL overcome!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TheWall,

This my friend is what we/I/all of us need/ed! Thank you for stepping out to link me to some scripture. My wife is a far stronger, faithful believer than I, though pounding some 3rd Day and Mercy Me in my head is starting to bring me around some. I'm very thankful for the prayers our friends, neighbors, church groups, etc. are saying for my wife, our kids, and myself. I/we will absolutely take and cherish each one of them.

We are utilizing modern and holistic medicine, though my hope and the only thing I can always rely on is my faith. I appreciate the reminder, as I definitely need them. I get pretty angry with God right now, as I don't "get" it re: my wife and our 3 girls. Obviously not really justified in being pissed, but that is a very raw/real comment. So, I try and turn the anger and despair at times into task/focus/encouragement/fight/kick cancer's a## attitude.....it worked today, we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

There really isn't an easy answer for me to "get", it really is just sort of how life goes sometimes.

Anyhow,

Thank you so much!

BTW...where might you be in the great white north?

·
Registered
631 Posts
I wish you and your familly the strength from whatever source to stay positive and maintain peace of mind.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I spent a lot of time deciding whether I should take up motorcycling, after I got my license.

I knew it would statistically shorten my lifespan (28 when I started riding)

I knew if I never rode I wouldn't know what I was missing.

Then the father of a young (17 year old) friend died at age 49, sudden heart attack, the day after an athletic event for which he had trained for many months.

Needless to say, I never looked back on my decision to ride.

Best of luck to you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts