StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on visiting Asheville, NC, in early August and am looking to rent a motorcycle for the day. I found Carolina Motorcycle Rentals (Hendersonville) on the web and gave them a call and they seem like nice folks. Does anyone have any experience renting from them or recommmendations for other rental choices in the area? I'm looking to ride on pavement only.

Carolina has an assortment of BMW's, a Wee Strom, and a few metric cruisers. Love the Strom, but thinking about trying something different for the day. Not sure what yet.

I've never been to Asheville or Henderson before so I'm open for any route recommendations as well.

Any insight would be appreicated. Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I know the guy who owns CMR. He is a good guy. Very small operation out of a store front in Downtown Hendersonville. I would rent from him no problem.
As a matter of fact, when I saw your post title I was going to chime in and suggest him.
I lived in Asheville for 3 years. Pretty much all of the roads are great. If you want a great ride (one of many) Head south on the parkway (from Asheville) to Mt Pisgah Inn for a meal and then head back north on the parkway about 2 miles and turn left on 151. You will loose over 3000 feet of elevation in under 5 miles. Stay on that road and it will straighten out and head back into town.

Another great ride is to just stay on 151 and go straight across the highway north. Around the bend and at the bottom of the hill on the right is Hookers Gap. Turn right and just keep going. It is all paved except about 200 yards. Just keep going.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I'm planning on visiting Asheville, NC, in early August and am looking to rent a motorcycle for the day. I found Carolina Motorcycle Rentals (Hendersonville) on the web and gave them a call and they seem like nice folks. Does anyone have any experience renting from them or recommmendations for other rental choices in the area? I'm looking to ride on pavement only.

Carolina has an assortment of BMW's, a Wee Strom, and a few metric cruisers. Love the Strom, but thinking about trying something different for the day. Not sure what yet.

I've never been to Asheville or Henderson before so I'm open for any route recommendations as well.

I've never rented from Carolina but I do know where they have their bikes serviced because that's where I take my bike for servicing. Gryphon Bikes in Maggie Valley, NC, at least was an option, but their server has been down for weeks so they may be out of business.

Send me a PM when you head out this way. You may also want to keep an eye on this thread:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/events/64689-asheville-area-meet-greet-7.html

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
One day is a start...

Just suggestions; roads I'd probably take

From Hendersonville

64 to Brevard
276 n 215
215 s to 64
64 w to 281
281 n to 441
441 to cherokee
brp to Asheville

Dunno, that's probably more than a day. You've also got the Dragon and Cherohala further west. There are many more good roads.

FYI NC edges many of these roads with gravel and locals like to cut turns into the shoulder and kick gravel onto the blacktop. Often, curves are shaded and it can be hard to see the gravel if you're cooking along pretty quick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input about CMR, RShrimp. The guy I spoke with there (twice now) identified himself as the owner and he seemed to be a real quality guy. Also thanks everyone for the route suggestions. I'm going to look at some maps and start planning.

I also noticed Gryphon on the web, Nroman, and I can confirm that their site is toast. Thanks for the tip about the Asheville Meet & Greet thread. After looking at the pics kinda makes me want to relocate.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Let us know when you will be in the area and we could have another meet and greet possibly. Quite a few of us from the area. Post up the dates you will be in the area.

Ken

Gryphon was in maggie Valley and I have saw no activity at their place for a good while now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Motorcycle Rental Choices in Asheville, NC Area
I'm planning on visiting the Mountain Land in Asheville, NC, in early August and am looking to rent a motorcycle for the day. I found Carolina Motorcycle Rentals (Hendersonville) on the web and gave them a call and they seem like nice folks. Does anyone have any experience renting from them or recommmendations for other rental choices in the area? I'm looking to ride on pavement only.

Charlotte is only 45min away and there are tons of bike rental stores, you can get a gixxer 1000 or a fatboy for $89 a day

good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts