StromTrooper banner

Is there a need for a reasonably priced motorcycle painting service here?

• Yes, it would be convenient to be able to ship parts out for painting.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Yes, if the price was under $700.00 inc. shipping back to me

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • No, It's a hassle

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • No, the price is too high.

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering getting back into custom motorcycle painting again. I was a professional auto, motorcycle, etc. painter for over 25 yrs. I would like to know if there is a need for it by the members here.

You would have to ship the parts to me, and I would ship them back to you.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
327 Posts
i paint my bikes from time to time out of boredom. I have a TLR that has had 3 color schemes since i have owned it. have you got any pics of your work buddy?

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
I guess that it would depend on what type of paint schemes. Are you talking one color or truly custom stuff?

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Doesn't really apply to me. I already have the red Vee...best looking strom ever made. I image all you other guys can get your color fixed if Jack goes through with this. ;)

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
To answer a few questions, this would be basic refinishing and repair. Color change, including House of Kolor custom finishes, scratch and dent repair, and new parts painting. I'm thinking of keeping it simple.

As far as pictures go, I don't have any digital pics but If I decide to do this I'll take some and post them. Even a crappy paint job looks great in photo's though. Maybe I would do a couple of free jobs or a contest of some sort and let the recipient tell all how it looks. I'm a fussy bastard and if I like it, you probably will too.

tmcgee, ride up here anyway!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doesn't really apply to me. I already have the red Vee...best looking strom ever made. I image all you other guys can get your color fixed if Jack goes through with this. ;)
Yes, red is an option. That way everyone can have the best looking Strom ever made.:wink:

Damn right, shipping is for suckers. I've got some decent scratches and really like the flat black look. Hrm..

-GW
I would encourage everyone not being a sucker. It's cheaper and more fun.:D

flat black look? hmmmmmm, wonder if there is a flat yellow or flat red or flat blue look in the future....:cool:
Any color can be made flat. The base coat is already flat. A flattening agent can be added to the clear.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I was thinking about the candy apple red. Me likey. I'm pretty happy with the flat black though.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm repairing my salvage titled 2007 1250 Bandit which is Candy Sonoma Red right now. The body parts need to be refinished due to two small dents in the tank and some minor scratches in the front fenders base color,(not road-rash). I actually will need to buy an entirely new front cowl and rear/tail cowl...they're broken beyond repair.

With just the new plastic coming to $480, I'm looking hard for someone who's talented and experienced enough to do a good job yet keep this thing within budget.

I don't care for any of the stock Bandit colors,.... the 2008 GSX-R1000 finish in Metalic Gold is the look I'm leaning towards. A single color on the four body parts: f.fender, front cowl, tank and rear/tail cowl.

Trying to cut costs, I've worked on the tank, dulled the clearcoat with green scotchbrite top and bottom. I've also wet sanded both dents to bare metal. One dent, 1"x2" oval, is shallow, needs no pulling. The other, 1"x3", was 1/2" deep and I was able to work it out with a wooden dowl. The fuelpump opening afforded a straight shot at it.

Thats where it stands, filler is next.

Pm me if your interested in doing a project like this. Maybe I could take photo's an post them on the forum for all to see whats involved.

Dave

Oh, and as I work in an industrial maint./fab shop, I made a floor stand for setting the tank on ...jig attaches to the tanks bottom... the fuelpump hole ....holding the tank in a "on-the-bike" position 4' off the floor.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm repairing my salvage titled 2007 1250 Bandit which is Candy Sonoma Red right now. The body parts need to be refinished due to two small dents in the tank and some minor scratches in the front fenders base color,(not road-rash). I actually will need to buy an entirely new front cowl and rear/tail cowl...they're broken beyond repair.

With just the new plastic coming to $480, I'm looking hard for someone who's talented and experienced enough to do a good job yet keep this thing within budget.

I don't care for any of the stock Bandit colors,.... the 2008 GSX-R1000 finish in Metalic Gold is the look I'm leaning towards. A single color on the four body parts: f.fender, front cowl, tank and rear/tail cowl.

Trying to cut costs, I've worked on the tank, dulled the clearcoat with green scotchbrite top and bottom. I've also wet sanded both dents to bare metal. One dent, 1"x2" oval, is shallow, needs no pulling. The other, 1"x3", was 1/2" deep and I was able to work it out with a wooden dowl. The fuelpump opening afforded a straight shot at it.

Thats where it stands, filler is next.

Pm me if your interested in doing a project like this. Maybe I could take photo's an post them on the forum for all to see whats involved.

Dave

Oh, and as I work in an industrial maint./fab shop, I made a floor stand for setting the tank on ...jig attaches to the tanks bottom... the fuelpump hole ....holding the tank in a "on-the-bike" position 4' off the floor.
I'm not set up to do this work yet. I'm trying to get a feel for what is needed out there. But, can you post some pics? I'll PM you with my e-mail address. Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
:party:I'll be the first"freebie"!!!
I'd like the Glossy LeMans "YELLOW":cool:
And I'll ship it myself on WOOOHOO Shipping!!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
:party:I'll be the first"freebie"!!!
I'd like the Glossy LeMans "YELLOW":cool:
And I'll ship it myself on WOOOHOO Shipping!!
Does anybody KNOW this guy?

Thanks for the new Anakee, Jack.:twisted:

FYI,
The 2002 and 2003 DL1000 yellow is called "Pearl Orpiment Yellow" Code YU9
The 2008 DL650 yellow is called "Daytona Yellow" Code YMF

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought I'd get more responses. Maybe I just need to give it a bump?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts