StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a V-Strom 650, is there any difference between quality motorcycle oil versus automotive oil?

Thanks,
Jake

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes. Automotive oil probably isn't a wise choice.
http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=30068
Quoting GreyWolf:

As long as there isn't an EC in the bottom of the rating donut, it will work.

My question was:

Can somebody verify that a regular car engine oil of rating 10-40W or 20-50W (for hot weather climate like in TX) will work fine OR should I be looking for "motorcycle" 10-40W oil (if there is such a thing)???

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Quoting GreyWolf:

As long as there isn't an EC in the bottom of the rating donut, it will work.

My question was:

Can somebody verify that a regular car engine oil of rating 10-40W or 20-50W (for hot weather climate like in TX) will work fine OR should I be looking for "motorcycle" 10-40W oil (if there is such a thing)???

There are several brands of "motorcycle oil" available.

As with most products with "motorcycle" on the label you'll just pay a little (or a lot) more.

Heed the,"donut" info, the rest is marketing.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
The WIKIPEDIA Answer

Can Automotive Engine Oil Be Used?

Motorcycle oil is relatively expensive compared to automotive engine oil so it's been a long standing question if regular automotive engine oil can be used. The companies that make motorcycle specific engine oils state that their products contains special additives and formulated specifically for a motorcycle. However they never offer any independent test results to substantiate their claims.

Many have actually been using automotive engine oil in their motorcycles for years. The key thing to watch out for is to make sure that if you have a wet clutch to make sure the oil is not labeled "energy conserving" (low friction) as they could cause clutch slippage (generally any oil rated 10W-40 or heavier is not, and any that is "energy conserving" should be labeled as part of the API).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts