StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out and bought a motorcycle jack in hopes of using it to jack the bike up so that I can change the rear shock. I didn't know that there wasn't much of a frame under this bike :confused:. Have any of you used a motorcycle jack on your bikes.??

·
Registered
719 Posts
Just sold one for that reason. Wont work on these bikes as they are designed. I use swingarm spools off ebay for less than ten bucks and a rear stand. If you have a way to ratchet it up from above and a swingarm stand you should be golden.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I used a motorcycle jack on the skid plate to adjust my chain. The person that sold me my bike said he had jacked it up that way many times. Is this a good idea or not?

·
Registered
719 Posts
As long as the skid plate and mounting points are durable enough to support the weight I would use it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I bought a motorcycle jack adapter from someone in VSRI. He makes them. I just can't remember who. Maybe someone will come in and post the vendor (Dan somebody, also called Cherdan), in the meantime I will try to remember who makes them. The adapter he makes lifts the bike (along with using a motorcycle lift) from the hard points that Suzuki puts there for lifting.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Okay, Van Vesel is the name. Here is a link to his stuff on Vstom Riders International: My V-Strom Accessories - Dan Vesel

I don't see his lift adapter anymore listed in his stuff. He does list his phone number though and if you contact him he might make one for you.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I don't remember if you have one, but an aftermarket skid plate will support the bike, no problem. The stock plastic simulated skid plate, no.

At home, I use this rear stand with spools in the swingarm -- this is one of the best I've seen. I also have their front stand, but usually it's easier to just jack up under my skid plate:
URRS05-Adjustable Rear Stand

On the road, I carry an Endurostar trail stand:
Enduro Star / Trail Stand
Yes, it's plenty strong, and works great on the Vee.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Have any of you used a motorcycle jack on your bikes.??
Yes. I like the jack for long term winter maintenance. I wish I took a picture, but sadly, no. I inserted a long spike (14" nail, I think, through the hole located at the bottom of the engine. I then modified some 2X4s to pick up the bike by the spike. It took a bit of puzzling and I cut some grooves in the 2X4s for stability but it works, just. I then strap the bike to the jack for safety and leave it like that all winter.
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2004-2011/43085-how-you-guys-jacking-up-bike.html
Not my photos but I do it just like LucasD in that thread.

You can't change the oil or anything like that and if you have a skid plate, it probably needs to come off. It's great for major work like removing both wheels or disassembling the front or rear end completely. I like that I can lift it waaaay up to work on the valves comfortably.

On the road or to do chain maintenance? I use a 2X2 with a smaller chunk nailed to the side of it to do, effectively and free of charge, this:
Home made trail jack stand/forward foot rest - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum

Have fun!

·
1,323 Posts
I spent a couple hours one weekend trying to make a motorcycle jack adapter out of wood blocks. I got close but had to move on to other chores before I sealed the deal. The biggest challenge I ran into was not making the adapter so tall that the jack wouldn't fit under it. With proper time, I'm sure it could be done though.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't remember if you have one, but an aftermarket skid plate will support the bike, no problem. The stock plastic simulated skid plate, no.

At home, I use this rear stand with spools in the swingarm -- this is one of the best I've seen. I also have their front stand, but usually it's easier to just jack up under my skid plate:
URRS05-Adjustable Rear Stand

On the road, I carry an Endurostar trail stand:
Enduro Star / Trail Stand
Yes, it's plenty strong, and works great on the Vee.
I have a paddock stand for the bike. Didn't know if thats all I needed to do the shock change. Got all the goodies in now to change it all over to Progressive. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I bought about $20 of 1" gas pipe and fittings at Home Depot and made a stand that goes over the bike and you can use it to ratchet the rear or front of the bike up depending on what you are doing. And when you are finished you can hang it flat on the wall.

·
1,323 Posts
I bought about $20 of 1" gas pipe and fittings at Home Depot and made a stand that goes over the bike and you can use it to ratchet the rear or front of the bike up depending on what you are doing. And when you are finished you can hang it flat on the wall.

I'd love to see pictures!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I had a jack before I had a Strom, for the cruiser I used to own

The jack works great with a skid plate. before I had the plate it took inventive use of wooden cross pieces but it will work, I used it to do the shock upgrade before I bought the skidplate.

different size wooden pcs and a winch strap to keep it there once jacked...

all you need for the shock re and re....

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'd love to see pictures!
I recently moved 1/2 way across the country and the movers charge by weight so the stand was given to a friend of mine. But here is the basic concept. This is how I built mine

two T's
two elbows
one 4 foot piece of pipe threaded on both ends
two 6 foot pieces of pipe threaded on both ends
four 2 foot pieces of pipe threaded on both ends
four end caps

Screw an elbow on each end of the 4 foot piece of pipe, this will be the top section which you hang the bike from with ratchet straps.

Screw a 6 foot piece of pipe on each side into the other end of the elbows you just used. these are the sides.

Screw a T on the bottom of each of the 6 foot pieces of pipe then screw the remaining four pieces of 2 foot pipe into the T's and then screw 4 end caps on.

Stand works great and very sturdy. When finished you can twist the T's so the "feet" point together and then you can hang it flat on the wall or stand it up against a wall so it's out of the way.

I'll try to dig up a picture.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I recently moved 1/2 way across the country and the movers charge by weight so the stand was given to a friend of mine. But here is the basic concept. This is how I built mine

two T's
two elbows
one 4 foot piece of pipe threaded on both ends
two 6 foot pieces of pipe threaded on both ends
four 2 foot pieces of pipe threaded on both ends
four end caps

Screw an elbow on each end of the 4 foot piece of pipe, this will be the top section which you hang the bike from with ratchet straps.

Screw a 6 foot piece of pipe on each side into the other end of the elbows you just used. these are the sides.

Screw a T on the bottom of each of the 6 foot pieces of pipe then screw the remaining four pieces of 2 foot pipe into the T's and then screw 4 end caps on.

Stand works great and very sturdy. When finished you can twist the T's so the "feet" point together and then you can hang it flat on the wall or stand it up against a wall so it's out of the way.

I'll try to dig up a picture.
Awesome! :thumbup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Okay folks here's one that my friend made off my design. He used 3/4" pipe and made it a little narrower than mine was. Hope this helps. Even the 3/4" design is really strong.

·
1,323 Posts
Awesome, thank you for posting! I could use a project while it rains tomorrow...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts