StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading down to Californiaon a 10 day road trip to visit family. I'm planning on staying in 2-3 hotels, as well as a few campgrounds.

My Wee has 2 Happy Trails Teton Panniers, and a Givi 46L top case.

What's the best practice when checking into a hotel as far a security goes? Do you take the pannier boxes and Givi case off and bring them in the room? Do you have one of those bag things and haul the whole thing out in it?

I'm guessing I'll ask for a room with close proximity to the parking lot so I don't have to make too many trips.

Any ideas, suggestions or comments are welcome:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
If I can not park mine by the door or window and get a ground floor room, I remove all luggage which is very easy on mine. I have also politely asked if I can park my strom under the overhang in sight of the desk. Nobody has told me no yet and if they did, I would likely spend my money elsewhere.

I tend to stay in cheap hotels...the ones with blue collar working types of trucks in the lot.

Not to stir the gun debate here, but I always travel armed.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ground floor room. Gear and/or bike in the room. And SB's suggestions. Just remember, ya can't start shootin' folks over property...at least in CA.

Happy travels and if ya get near San Diego and need anything, shoot me a PM.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I tend to stay in cheap hotels...the ones with blue collar working types of trucks in the lot.
I haven't seen a connection between working trucks and hotel prices. There are plenty of vans with ladders and pickups at the Marriott.

I leave my luggage on the bike and ask if I can park under the entrance canopy -- never been denied.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
If I can not park mine by the door or window and get a ground floor room, I remove all luggage which is very easy on mine. under the overhang in sight of the desk.
Not to stir the gun debate here, but I always travel armed.
I envy all those who can legally carry.

Ground floor room. Gear and/or bike in the room.
Plus, ya don't have to lug your stuff to the elevator or stairs.

I leave my luggage on the bike and ask if I can park under the entrance canopy -- never been denied.
Also, never denied.

Most places now have "video" surveillance. Try to stay in line of their system.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
I've asked for preferred parking and got it and had clerks suggest parking close to the door in the glaring security light. I've even had some tell me to pull in under the stair case out of sight. If you ask for towels to clean the bike they usually are happy to give you too many even the the Patel motel.
Calif is definitely not a gun user friendly place. We also don't have any 'chase down and shoot' laws like Florida has.
I usually cover mine and that seems to work. Helps to have an ugly bike too.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I travel mainly with the Goldwing. The wee is for local stuff. I keep a microfiber cloth wet in a ziplock bag for cleaning the windshield and faceshield. I also travel with a 1/2 cover for the bike. It keeps the finger pokers, switch manglers, and wanna be bikers from sitting on the bike. It also keeps the morning dew off the bike.

·
Registered
103 Posts
hotel stay

I always try to park by front door,never take anything off bike but always use full cover locked on bottom. Over 40 states-and all provinces-1,000,000 kms nothing stolen(knock on wood)

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Look for an older "motor court" motel in a small town with well-tended flowers, dirt swept off the sidewalks, and fresh paint.

You'll find low prices and a friendly family from the Indian subcontinent that takes pride in providing extremely clean, very basic accommodations.

And you can park right outside your door.

I detest chain motels...

FWIW, I bring the bags in simply because it's more convenient, but I usually leave the trunk on since that's where my "traveling" stuff is.

When forced to stay in chain hotels, I've often been invited to park under the entrance canopy when I ask which parking area is the most secure. Theft isn't that big a concern with a V-Strom, but I would like the switch flippers, spitters, sitters, smokers, pukers, pissers, farters, nose pickers, and assorted gropers, pokers, and fingerers to keep their grubby mitts and vile substances offa mah bike.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
A full cover works wonders (and locking it is probably a good idea I haven't done yet). I'll put it on if I'm sightseeing along the way and will be away from the bike for a while.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
, but I would like the switch flippers, spitters, sitters, smokers, pukers, pissers, farters nose pickers, and assorted gropers, pokers, and fingerers to keep their grubby mitts and vile substances offa mah bike.

You're talking about my family members, man. You owe me an apology!

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Always parked in front of the main area with the 24 hour clerk. Bring anything valuble in that you wouldent want to lose (cameras, gps, firearms, gear etc) and just make sure the rest is insured and don't worry about it. I also had jesse luggage so I was not concerned about people breaking in (if they went through that nothing would stop them). One good thing about having a vstrom is its ugly, but nobody knows what it is, and consequently nobody really bothers it. Honestly unless you stay at really dumpy motels there really is not much to worry about. And if somebody steals the bike you file a insurance claim and get another one.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I always ask for a ground floor room, and only park under the front entrance if my room is fairly close by. I take everything off the bike and into the room except for for my Givi V46 top case. I put a brake lock on the front brake. Other than that, I take no other precautions and have thankfully never had an issue other than a drunk Harley bitch flicking her cigarette butts down onto my bike from her second floor balcony.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Ground floor is okay until the folks above start walking around at 1:00 am. A couple of trips up the stairs is worth it to me for the quiet. It's nice to have a view of your bike from your room. I lock the forks. Generally I avoid the larger cities.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I take the side cases off but leave the top case, strictly for convenience since the side cases are my suitcases. I try to to stay @ motels (the one story type with parking immediately outside the room). Just makes me feel better being closer to the bike, plus it saves a longer walk with the side cases and helmet.

When circumstances force me to a chain hotel, I've got mixed feelings about parking under the front awning. I don't believe the attendant is as vigilant as we would prefer, plus every single.person who is checking in or out is walking/driving right by it, so it may provide some temptation.

·
Registered
275 Posts
When I travel on the Wee, I just grab my RevPacks and take 'em inside. With the Valkyrie, I use duffel bags as liners & just grab those too. I always cover the bike at night, and usually stay in either Hampton Inns or Best Westerns. I hardly ever have anyone even look at the bike let alone try to molest it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
My "best practice" is to stay at KOA. The cabins are always clean as a whistle and have AC or heat. Or... you can tent camp.

They always seem safe to me and it is comforting to have the bike right outside.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've done a quite a bit of travelling. I usually use bag liners, take my stuff in, leave whatver saddlebags I'm using on the bike. I usually put a full cover on the bike which seems to deter anyone who just wants to horse around with it. Never lost anything, never had any damage to the bike and I've stayed in both nice and cheap places.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you can get a ground floor and your bike isn't leaking fluids, just park inside :thumbup:

In my last hotel stay, I just parked in a normal spot and made a few trips to bring what I needed up to my room on the 2nd floor. Armed my alarm and that was that. In the morning, my alarm went off from friends poking around my bike wondering about all of my switches :green_lol:

·
Registered
133 Posts
i always travel with my hammock set up if i'm gonna be gone over night.

either i park the bike in the room with me, or i man fuel up (beer and meat) and GTFO of town. hammocks pack small, are super comfy and when set up properly with the right colors, they are invisible. keeps the look-y loos away.

hammocks are zero impact, so most people don't mind you setting them up on their property as long as you don't start a fire.

i'm a lot more drunk than i thought i was.... i hope my post makes sense.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts