StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For many years I thought that by tapping your left hand on the top of your helmet meant " High Beams On"........then a friend said it meant "Cops Ahead".
So, which is it?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Back when there were headlight switches on bikes, the signal meant something needed to be done about the headlight, usually to turn it on. Since bikes have pretty much had their lights come on with the ignition for decades, the meaning changed.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back when there were headlight switches on bikes, the signal meant something needed to be done about the headlight, usually to turn it on. Since bikes have pretty much had their lights come on with the ignition for decades, the meaning changed.
That may be so, but I see allot of riders ride with the high beam on for visual purposes, including myself under certain circumstances.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Ive always used it as a Heads Up something ahead to be aware of.
Mike

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
That may be so, but I see allot of riders ride with the high beam on for visual purposes, including myself under certain circumstances.
I said nothing about using the high beam in daylight, even though I am against the practice.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I see a lot of riders ride with the high beam on
That can be important for some bikes with a dim or poorly aimed single headlight. It can be too much for bikes with excellent dual headlights. I find myself looking away from the too-bright lights before I have time to automatically estimate the distance and closing rate.

Here in the west I haven't seen any of the hand signals except that tiresome wave. Yes, I'm tired of it and do not feel a connection to a waving rider.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The sport bike crowd around here taps the top of the helmet for "cop".
Back in my day we would point index finger skyward & twirl, like a whoop-de-do thing.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Cop.

It comes from the action of the cop putting on his or her cop hat when emerging from the cop vehicle.

(It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks...)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I used to do headlight flashes, but I was told with modulators out there, the meaning can be lost.

Local sportbikers schooled me on the helmet tap, it means Cops to them....

somtime I just use the Team America secret signal instead... :yesnod:

"Do The Signal" - YouTube

·
Registered
770 Posts
Always known it to mean cop, here in Ga...

But, then there's these:

Deleted due to language beyond PG13 GW

·
Registered
14,466 Posts
Hand signals, way too involved for me. Can't imagine riding in a herd that needs it.
Tap the helmet, da Po-lice is present!
Guys stick their feet out at rocks or debris sometimes.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Although most often used for signaling that Leo's are ahead, the helmet tap is in general, a signal to slow down. Weather it be for Leo's, or a cautionary signal for danger ahead such as stopped or stalled traffic, debris or wildlife, etc..

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Sometimes it means, "I've got a bee in my helmet".

1 - 20 of 41 Posts